Lang Park

Thursday
Night
19:50

Panthers

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extended bench has dropped to Palasia and Mariner. I would assume like most weeks, Mariner will again be 18th man.

Without Reyno I think we are in for a rough ride tonight boys, but oh man............. if we do somehow manage a win it's going to one to be very proud of.

Especially with how erratic we are. It leads to too many silly mistakes. The past few weeks we have completed less than 80% and made 34 errors. You can't do that against the Panthers when they're in form, it will lead to a very ugly result.

If we're going to be any chance tonight, that's two areas we need to be a lot better in. Not only that, but wrapping up the ball, line speed, kick pressure.

I actually think we did pretty well against Melbourne despite absolutely everything going against us. I agree Walsh particularly but also Staggs and Cobbo need to both stop going for the glory play every single time we make a half break but I am writing off last week as a typical Melbourne game - sinbins galore, lose our half back early to a nothing play and smashed 6-1 against the worst side in the comp in terms of committing infringements. The ref had a shocker, I don't think either team takes much out of that game.

I also don't think we have played well all that much all season, I suspect we will build into at the right time but competing around 80% with the way we play is not that bad to be honest, although it can improve. We have shown that even in our worst seasons, we match up pretty well against the Panthers, so even if we lose, I am expecting it to be close. Where we do need to massively improve on last game is kick defusal, last week was abysmal and that isn't on the ref (albeit players jumping at shadows and taking defending players out by 'early' jumps needs to be officiated correctly - 39%.

I'm feeling a big game from Riki coming up....we need his great chase and pressure on kicks to shut down Edwards and To'o. Come on son!

let's go broncos!

Geez I think some of you have been a bit harsh on Madden

He played 1 game, that after getting blooded into one of the worst teams in the NRL, he was never going to come out and channel his inner Andrew Johns

Geez I think some of you have been a bit harsh on Madden

He played 1 game, that after getting blooded into one of the worst teams in the NRL, he was never going to come out and channel his inner Andrew Johns
Probably fair, but I think on the flipside expectations need to be tempered as well. It seems like him being a schoolboy rep and having a good game against an ass side has augmented peoples opinions a little too generously.

If he was some Q Cup player, I think it wouldn't be as harsh. Either way, he's here now and he needs to stand up as he is next in line.

I'm feeling a big game from Riki coming up....we need his great chase and pressure on kicks to shut down Edwards and To'o. Come on son!

let's go broncos!
I hope you're right, but I have a feeling he is playing wounded at the moment and is keen to show his loyalty to the team ethic.

His Hannibal Lector look last week was a bit of a laugh, but it showed his full commitment to the boys. It's the other back rower that plays like a duffer week in week out and occasionally throws in a clutch play to keep his spot.

He must be topping the tackle count by now. Sorry, missed tackle count.

let's go broncos!
Let’s hope we get to our kicks. No silly passes or early knock ons.

Head to Head:

1. Walsh (Broncos)
2. To'o (Panthers)
3. Staggs (Broncos)
4. Crichton (Panthers)
5. Cobbo (Broncos)
6. Luai (Panthers)
7. Cleary (Panthers)
8. Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
9. Walters (Broncos)
10. Haas (Broncos)
11. Martin (Panthers)
12. Riki (Broncos)
13. Yeo (Panthers)

14. Luke (Panthers)
15. Sorenson (Panthers)
16. Hetherington (Broncos)
17. Taupau (Broncos)

Problem is in the direct opponent stakes, the Panthers 6 and 7 are miles better as a combined than ours and their forward pack is probably just as good with a slight edge to us, very slight, in the backline. The halves really make a huge difference here.

Big call that one. Walsh has a higher ceiling but Edwards plays super consistently well.

Yeah I know, it was the same with 9 really, either/or. I am a massive fan of Edwards.

Big call that one. Walsh has a higher ceiling but Edwards plays super consistently well.
Depends what your looking at, the best Attack creating Fullback vs the most involved plus best running Fullback.

Depends what your looking at, the best Attack creating Fullback vs the most involved plus best running Fullback.
Yeah.

I just mean in the context of an entire game, Edwards is nigh error free most games. Many of the errors he makes are deep in attack trying something on.

Walsh has something like triple his errors because he has a red hot crack anywhere on the park.

You get way more X Factor out of Walsh - you get ultra reliable returns and good set starting yardage out of Edwards.

let's go broncos!
Kicks need to be placed well for him to chase properly too. Hopefully Madden has been practising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • LittleDavey
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • broncos4life
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • bb_gun
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • BroncoFan94
  • Rah88
  • Organix
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.