Round 12 - Broncos vs Storm

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
Call me glass half full but there were positives. It’s Melbourne, our bogey team who are putting scores on everyone for the last 9 weeks and I reckon we did better than most of them.

As always fundamentals killed us and that’s a mix of youth and desperation. Pangai tried too hard perhaps but he took it upon himself to help when we were down on troops can’t get up him for that. Palasia missed tackles but he hasn’t played on the edge in QLD cup all season now he’s playing next to a seriously out of form half and a struggling middle so I can give him slack.

We created chances and showed determination to keep them out towards the end which we wouldn’t have done over the last two years.

Last year I said I would be happy loosing as long there was effort and there has been a big improvement from last year.
I disagree, we are the broncos and we aim to win. That was a winnable game even 30 mins in. Kelly and Milford lost us it

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Kelly was alright, you could tell his body is starting to let him down. Not sure what Milford's excuse is

A few of the plays he made, he knew they were on just couldn't hold on to the ball

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Budget.....our cap is tapped out! I doubt we would have got reynolds if we did. The squad is paying the price now for contract overs.

Considering the list of players we’re going after, we have the cap space.

johnyE

johnyE

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
A bullshit charge on gamble last week and our halves combination just delivered what I expected . KW I hope can now really appreciate what a salary cap sucking lazy pea hearted C*** Milford is . I've still got faith in Kelly in the halves last nights mistakes aside . ( he just needs better fitness) We were really showing good signs early , and like Fatty said if your camped down the Melb end so long and do not turn it into points , they will take that and punish you with it.
One distressing sign for me was , just look closely at that tackle on Arthurs , by Olam and tell me why that's NOT a send off offence FFS. . Arthurs was deliberately and forcefully lifted and driven on his head , and that C**** Olam gets to play on ? Arthurs was extremely lucky not to be seriously injured or worse. Where are the fucking dangerous tackle charges there? No the cheating C**** get away with it again .
I agree with all the posts above just **** OFF Anthony Milford , because you don't add to the team you just take away, I hope we never see you represent the Broncos in any capacity ever again. You've gone from hero to absolutely fucking Zero. Hines possibly played one of his, if not the best game of his career , just fucking sign him , he'd be a terrific addition to Join The Kevolution .

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I am choosing to ignore every performance out of last night's game apart from TC Robati's.

Very impressive debut, I'd be retaining him next week.

Gamble, Lodge & Riki back next week, very winnable game, even if Pangai Jr & Coates are playing Origin & Haas is injured.

1. Isaako
2. Mead
3. Farnworth
4. Arthars
5. Copley
6. Gamble
7. Kelly
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Flegler
11. Riki
12. Palasia
13. Asiata

14. Hetherington
15. Bullemor
16. Kennedy
17. Robati

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Outcome was exactly what I expected, but simultaneously worse than I had hoped.

As others have pointed out, we actually started strongly and looked good - we lacked the polish to convert a huge number of opportunities on Melbourne's line, and that's something that Reynolds will help greatly with next year. Had we managed to crack the Storm for an early try there, we might have seen a vastly different game.

Same old story though, in the 6 again era, even a couple of mistakes or bad decisions / bad executions can leave you suddenly on the back foot and scrambling to hang on. Combine that with a young side who drop their heads and get rattled easily and it's a pretty predictable outcome. Glad we have a bit of a respite now against some weaker teams. We're through the hardest part of our draw and now we can start building some momentum for next season.

Storm and Penrith are putting 40-50 on teams week in / week out for fun, nobody is beating them this year - best to just put this annual thrashing out of our heads and focus on improving next week.

PS... Lodge gets binned and is suspended a week for his knuckle accidentally softly carressing the cheek of a Roosters player, yet tonight Olam intentionally picks Arthars up and puts him down on his head in a tackle that is far more dangerous than anything which has been binned in the last 3 weeks, and doesn't get binned and probably won't get suspended either? You honestly couldn't pick it.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Call me glass half full but there were positives. It’s Melbourne, our bogey team who are putting scores on everyone for the last 9 weeks and I reckon we did better than most of them.

As always fundamentals killed us and that’s a mix of youth and desperation. Pangai tried too hard perhaps but he took it upon himself to help when we were down on troops can’t get up him for that. Palasia missed tackles but he hasn’t played on the edge in QLD cup all season now he’s playing next to a seriously out of form half and a struggling middle so I can give him slack.

We created chances and showed determination to keep them out towards the end which we wouldn’t have done over the last two years.

Last year I said I would be happy loosing as long there was effort and there has been a big improvement from last year.

Pangai and inspiration ;
Yep a soft run and a flop the pass on the ground in our 20 is the way to inspire !
Sack him too . Hot and cold as a day in Melbourne . Bench player maybe . Def not starter ...

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I am choosing to ignore every performance out of last night's game apart from TC Robati's.

Very impressive debut, I'd be retaining him next week.

Gamble, Lodge & Riki back next week, very winnable game, even if Pangai Jr & Coates are playing Origin & Haas is injured.

1. Isaako
2. Mead
3. Farnworth
4. Arthars
5. Copley
6. Gamble
7. Kelly
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Flegler
11. Riki
12. Palasia
13. Asiata

14. Hetherington
15. Bullemor
16. Kennedy
17. Robati

TPJ in origin ???
I want some of what you `re smokin ! He`s very lucky to be named in 1st grade at the Broncs ATM.
People see his positives and ignore his negatives which far out weigh his positives . Kinda OK in attack a liability in defence .

Tristan1990

Tristan1990

QCup Player
Sep 29, 2016
A bullshit charge on gamble last week and our halves combination just delivered what I expected . KW I hope can now really appreciate what a salary cap sucking lazy pea hearted C*** Milford is . I've still got faith in Kelly in the halves last nights mistakes aside . ( he just needs better fitness) We were really showing good signs early , and like Fatty said if your camped down the Melb end so long and do not turn it into points , they will take that and punish you with it.
One distressing sign for me was , just look closely at that tackle on Arthurs , by Olam and tell me why that's NOT a send off offence FFS. . Arthurs was deliberately and forcefully lifted and driven on his head , and that C**** Olam gets to play on ? Arthurs was extremely lucky not to be seriously injured or worse. Where are the fucking dangerous tackle charges there? No the cheating C**** get away with it again .
I agree with all the posts above just **** OFF Anthony Milford , because you don't add to the team you just take away, I hope we never see you represent the Broncos in any capacity ever again. You've gone from hero to absolutely fucking Zero. Hines possibly played one of his, if not the best game of his career , just fucking sign him , he'd be a terrific addition to Join The Kevolution .
wait for the charge sheet mate.... bully will probably get more weeks for his crusher

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Hynes was relatively quiet based on recent form TBH.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
TPJ in origin ???
I want some of what you `re smokin ! He`s very lucky to be named in 1st grade at the Broncs ATM.
People see his positives and ignore his negatives which far out weigh his positives . Kinda OK in attack a liability in defence .

I would be very surprised if he's not in the NSW squad that's named. Also, I completely disagree with everything you've just said.

He is elite in attack, but often tries to do too much because there's very little talent around him at the moment, I don't blame him at all for the forced offloads and passes, they often lead to our only points most games. I'd wager that he's average defensively as an edge back rower, if not slightly above average. Certainly not in the liability category, nearly 90% tackle efficiency is nothing to scoff at, considering how often he attempts big 1 on 1 hits or strips.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
I would be very surprised if he's not in the NSW squad that's named. Also, I completely disagree with everything you've just said.

He is elite in attack, but often tries to do too much because there's very little talent around him at the moment, I don't blame him at all for the forced offloads and passes, they often lead to our only points most games. I'd wager that he's average defensively as an edge back rower, if not slightly above average. Certainly not in the liability category, nearly 90% tackle efficiency is nothing to scoff at, considering how often he attempts big 1 on 1 hits or strips.
I think if Fittler was considering TPJ for origin, last night he may have played himself out of a jersey. Those offloads were too often, predictable and at times costly.
You cannot afford to left right and centre in origin. In saying that, when he gets his offloads right they're brilliant and damaging. I just don't think that will be a risk that Freddy will take.
I also recall a video I think the Broncos put up a couple of years ago when he was talking about how he goes for QLD and love Ponga haha. I'll try and track it down if he gets named for a bit of fun..

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Hard assignment defending next to Milford. They missed 14 tackles between them.
I understand that, but defending next to a shit defender, shouldn't make you give soft efforts. Alarming for a young player to be not putting effort in.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I'm still struggling with Kevvie and his use of certain players.

Last night we absolutely needed to give a bloke like Bullemor around 60mins, but he brings him on after around 50mins and only gives him 23mins. This guy has the potential to be an absolute weapon, you can see how quick his footwork is, he could tear teams apart through the middle.

I really hope Wayne comes back, Kevvie appears to not be up to the job.

BruiserMk1

BruiserMk1

NRL Player
Contributor
Sep 9, 2015
I think if Fittler was considering TPJ for origin, last night he may have played himself out of a jersey. Those offloads were too often, predictable and at times costly.
You cannot afford to left right and centre in origin. In saying that, when he gets his offloads right they're brilliant and damaging. I just don't think that will be a risk that Freddy will take.
I also recall a video I think the Broncos put up a couple of years ago when he was talking about how he goes for QLD and love Ponga haha. I'll try and track it down if he gets named for a bit of fun..
One criticism I have of TPJ is on attack he appears to get into awkward body positions. Often he ends up running sideways trying to use upper body strength not driving forward with his legs. Therefore exposing himself to loose carries.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Time for Turpin to go. The bloke is a plodder and offers nothing. Even the Macca critics are surely regretting his dismissal.
Last week against the roosters when they were down to 12 and we were attacking the line with players lined out to the left, on the 4th he dummied for himself. Smh! I agree, He ain’t it.

Tristan1990

Tristan1990

QCup Player
Sep 29, 2016
no charge for olam... just quietly lol

Active Now

• Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • kman
  • broncotville
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Financeguy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.