Round 13 - Raiders vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Great win all round. Excellent defence, and attack, while not as flash as last week, suited the conditions. Second half was a bit of a downer with too much dropped ball and penalties. McGuire was absolutely fantantastic, apart from that spear tackle - really stupid stuff. His second tackle on report was rubbish and should not have been penalised. While the spear tackle was not overly dangerous, I wont be surprised to see it a grade 1 charge, a charge for stupidity more than danger.

We have definitely come a long way from the first few rounds of the season, where many supporters including myself had written off top 4 aspirations. At this stage, I definitely think we are in with a big chance of top 4. Our progress throughout the season has been a hjoy to watch, especially the last few weeks.

Fantantastic. That'll be my word of the night.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Goal line defence was awesome. The Raiders were really sharp for those repeat sets, bodies in motion, changes of direction, decoys etc. But the Broncos held their nerve and trusted each other. Unfortunate that they let in one try but how many chances did they get. McGuire won my vote for MOM with that diving try-saving cover tackle.

Still a lot of negatives. Jarrod Wallace giving away more penalties than tackles (it seems). Copley living up to the Dropley tag - he still has a lot of work to do. And I don't know if it's the refs or whether teams just know how to play us, but we concede so many penalties at around the 55 - 65 minute mark. They're mostly warranted, but it's like all the opposition has to do is slightly stumble and the whistle goes off. Conversely, teams lie all over us for an eternity and nothing. Regardless, we need to tighten that up and give the refs no excuses to blow the whistle.

And I have to say it. We won via Griffinball.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Thought the Raiders really played into the Broncos hands tonight.

We love kicking to corners and it reaped a lot of rewards for us tonight - two tries which effectively won us the game.

What did you guys make of those tries?

Both were pretty controversial and had both commentators questioning the final call. Personally I was okay with the video referee making the decision that they did based on the original call but had that call been different, I could live with it being a try too. Definitely an element of luck, but you've got to take them. Besides, I thought the Raiders received their share of calls too.

Otherwise, thought it was a pretty even game. Brisbane held a slight advantage but were still making some poor errors out of dummy half while I just thought the Raiders ballsed up when they had their chances. Apart of that was down to some really good defence on the left edge, the other was just their young players having an off night.

i was fine with the first try been givin as i think copley always had his other hand on the ball. the second one not to sure about. tbh because im broncos biased im comfortable with original decision HOWEVER. if it happened against us id probably be spewing. fast motion or slow motion it did kinda look like a shephard to me. even though i agree campese milked it hard to deliberatly get the penalty and it backfired on him.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Oh lastly, Barba was excellent in defence. Quiet in attack, but saved numerous tries. When Fensom scored his try, it was a misdirected shot from Barba that led to the offload, but when Fensom gets it down about 10 metres to the side, Barba is right there only a fraction too late, looking to clean up his own work. He must have motored and it shows his intent to own that try line and not let anyone in.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
i also think barba has been really good for us these last few weeks. more his defense then anything. wich to me is a great sign who would of thought you would be ever praising barbas defense and not his attack. but im confident his attacking flair will come back.

part of me hopes that griffin realizes the weight he has put on has damaged his attacking game. and next year he will be told to lose it again.

but question has to be asked is barba defending better then he ever has in his career right now because he has that extra weight and strength to stop try scorers close to the line?

not really sure if it does or not but its something to think about

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
It's so satisfying beating Canberra. Just remembering Furner's comments last year about them being busy concentrating on finals football... Probably my favourite team to beat at the moment.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It's so satisfying beating Canberra. Just remembering Furner's comments last year about them being busy concentrating on finals football... Probably my favourite team to beat at the moment.

I didn't know you could be vindictive. I like it.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
as much as i hate kicking people when they are down. it does feel extra nice to beat canberra. mostly because i occasionally visit other teams forums and the amount of trash talk they all say about the broncos and qld'ers in general makes me lack any sympathy for what there goin through

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Yeah what sort of welcome did Anthony receive. Sure it'll be different come November.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

I'm soooo with you. I have serious disdain for that shitstain of a club.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Barba was pretty average on offense tonight, but I'm so glad he scored that try, I feel like it's all he needs to get straight back into it, he's shown a bit more zip over the last couple of weeks, and now with 2 games in the next month he SHOULD have plenty of time to get back to optimal fitness levels.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I didn't know you could be vindictive. I like it.

LOL, Furner pissed me off last year with his rude comments, and then they go and sign Ricky Stuart, as if I didn't have enough reasons to dislike them. I'd be totally happy if they saved the Sharks from the spoon.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I must say, Milford looked very disinterested throughout that game.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Barba was pretty average on offense tonight, but I'm so glad he scored that try, I feel like it's all he needs to get straight back into it, he's shown a bit more zip over the last couple of weeks, and now with 2 games in the next month he SHOULD have plenty of time to get back to optimal fitness levels.

That Barba try pretty much showed he should be playing 5/8 and by default, first receiver on the left hand side.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Good effort overall, finally Macca is doing more kicking from dummy half, it makes a big difference having that option.

On McGuires try, no way is that a try. I would spew if that went against us. It was accidental but that doesn't matter, you should not be able to get an advantage by running behind a player or running a player into the defensive line and making contact.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • something
  • Mustafur
  • pennywisealfie
  • rnabokov
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.