Round 13 - Raiders vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Cornish 3/3 tackled on the last. Wow.

Tough game for the young fella. He's had a bit of hype about him, and didn't do an awful lot to justify it last night. Tried too hard to compensate for complete lack of direction from Campese and co.

Despite having a night to forget, they could do worse than hand him a starting berth. He's unproven, yes, but both Campese and McCrone have proved they're not up to the task. Now watch Ricky send him to reserve grade...

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Well two points in the column is always a good thing. To me offensively, Milford is in a different class that Barba at the moment. He is just faster, more elusive, more likely to break the line and go looking for work. He is doing all of that on a really poor club with basically no support. I am excited to see him a Bronco next year.

Reed has had two really solid performances in a row and showing signs he isn't done and dusted yet. McCullough had an outstanding game. He does a lot without much notice but that doesn't make it any less impressive. Forwards were solid going forward and I had a laugh seeing a guy with two "on reports" and still won the man of the match. Oh well, I guess he won't be winning the Brownlow medal.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
have to give props to jack reeds defense. wighton has been dominating his opposition centre in the last few weeks and reed shut him down every time he got the ball. great to see.

overall a very solid performance in tough conditions. raiders stuffed up a few opportunities but they came to play and didnt roll over like some other games they have this season. im very happy we went down there went about our business and got the two points comfortably in the end.

they look like they are defending for each other lately. everyone is committed and its great to see.

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
I thought the Broncos played well and they played to the conditions. Once they were ahead they got into the Griffinball grind and it actually worked. They defended well and won by 24 points. Sure the Raiders looked ordinary but that is because every single one of their attacking players were made useless by the Broncos defence getting in their faces and they couldn't do anything about it.

Ben Hunt is still steering the team around well and will be great when he gets to play alongside a real 5/8th.
Barba was good under the high ball all night, great in defence on the goal line and it was great to see him go through for a try.
McGuire was great except for giving away a few penalties.
Macca is kicking more from dummy half and it's working.
Thaiday is almost back to top form.
Hoffman made a line break and passed more than once(it was twice I think!).
Reed's form is back up, Vidot is still a monster, Copley was solid at wing(but is clearly a better centre), Hodges is Hodges, etc.

But best of all the Greenhouse are really upset.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Raiders will take points off a few teams this winter so i am very happy with the win.

I believe this so called Griffinball has us second on the list for points scored this seaon. Only the Roosters ahead of us.
Cant complain about that.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I thought it was an ordinary performance. Against a better side, Broncos probably would have lost. They were gifting Raiders some decent field position in that second half there. I'm just glad they come away with a win in a place where we always tend to struggle.

Against a better side, we wouldn't have been playing in freezing cold, wet Canberra and would have played completely different.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
What did you guys make of those tries?

Both were pretty controversial and had both commentators questioning the final call. Personally I was okay with the video referee making the decision that they did based on the original call but had that call been different, I could live with it being a try too. Definitely an element of luck, but you've got to take them. Besides, I thought the Raiders received their share of calls too.

I thought we were lucky with the Copley try, as I think he lost the ball.

I thought the 2nd was a try.

Campese was just trying to get a penalty, by saying there was an obstruction, he was never going to stop the try being scored.

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
to me it looked like Copley took the ball out from under his left arm and forced it down with his right hand and his left forearm. And Reed didn't run behind Barba from what I could tell. The front on view showed Reed wasn't behind Barba when he passed let alone had run behind him. Barba did move to the right after coming up to give Reed a bit more time to pass without being behind him though so I am unsure what the rule is there. Either way Campese ran into Barba to try to milk for the penalty.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Cornish 3/3 tackled on the last. Wow.

QUOTE]

He is only a young kid on debut in first grade so there will most likely be some basic errors in his game. He has the talent and potential and will be back in first grade.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The Broncos last try, it was actually a good thing Hoffman didn't score.

Hunt ran behind a player who impeded a defender before he passed it to Hoffman. If Hoffman had scored, they would have checked it and it would have been a penalty.

After watching the footage, I still can't see anything wrong with McGuire's try. Reed didn't run behind Barba, and Campese initiated the contact by reaching out and touching him. Once the defending player initiates contact, any obstruction goes right out the window.

He made no attempt to go for Reed. He tried to milk a penalty.

The second try for Copley, I think there was a bobble. However, it wasn't conclusive and there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the decision. In saying that, I wouldn't have complained if they took it off him.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
All I know is we would all be mad if we were in that situation instead, lol. There were people mad when Hunt(?) did something similar recently (against the Tiggers?), only that was less of an obstruction.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Souths.

I think fans were accepting of it once they had a chance to read explanations against the contrary - it was just that the referee ruled No Try on that occasion which threw people off.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
The Broncos last try, it was actually a good thing Hoffman didn't score.

Hunt ran behind a player who impeded a defender before he passed it to Hoffman. If Hoffman had scored, they would have checked it and it would have been a penalty.
I haven't seen a replay but I thought the same thing at the time.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I thought Hoffman proved his worth to the team last night. He made some important tackles, kicked ok a few times and ran well and actually passed. But he is still not a 5/8 and we suffer because of that, no matter however else he tries to compensate with an otherwise good game.

If he keeps that up, and Barba keeps improving, and Hunt plays a bit better than last night, we are a very good side.

We made far too many mistakes and that was a worry. I'll put it down to the weather haha.

I also thought as a few others observed, the Raiders played some very "assertive" football, lousy execution and their edges look in Disneyland. Campese was sod ordinary. Cornish looks the goods to me. Very quick off the mark and thinks, but he's just too inexperienced. However I reckon he is all class and will mature into a very fine player.

Barba looked more enthusiastic than I have seen this year. What a good sign, and his defence and running the ball back were good. I thought he was way better than Milford on the night.

We let them run way too far in the 2nd half especially before our line, gave them way too much space. Against a quality side, that alone would have made life very hard.

Still, a good and important win, if a scrappy game

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Apparently Campese was miked up for this game and the result will be on Sterlo tomorrow night. Should be interesting viewing.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
80+ minutes of audio....5 mins of it usable most likely. **** this, **** that etc

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Apparently Campese was miked up for this game and the result will be on Sterlo tomorrow night. Should be interesting viewing.

"left leg, now right leg... left leg again"

and after every try we score you can hear wighton say "don't worry lads, I still get paid"

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
"left leg, now right leg... left leg again"

and after every try we score you can hear wighton say "don't worry lads, I still get paid"

Love it. But wait ... Damn. I thought you said Hoffman.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • rnabokov
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • something
  • Mustafur
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.