Round 13 - Raiders vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Reed didn't run behind Barba and Campese initiated the contact. He was trying to milk a penalty. He was waiting for Reed to pass it to Barba and fell for the dummy.

There wasn't anything wrong with that try.

I'll look at it again when I see the replay, but I really don't think there was anything wrong with that try.

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Reed didn't run behind Barba and Campese initiated the contact. He was trying to milk a penalty. He was waiting for Reed to pass it to Barba and fell for the dummy.

There wasn't anything wrong with that try.

I'll look at it again when I see the replay, but I really don't think there was anything wrong with that try.
Agreed. He didn't run behind him. Try.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
It's so satisfying beating Canberra. Just remembering Furner's comments last year about them being busy concentrating on finals football... Probably my favourite team to beat at the moment.

Hahaha yes, and they ended up finishing below us last year.

Old Senile Don leading them down this path is glorious.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
A win in Canberra and against Don's boys is always sweet and after Don's comments last year beating them is very sweet. Very convincing performance with some very strong in your face defence and some good attack. The 24 point margin was a very good indicator of the gap between the two teams I thought the Raiders were very poor.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
i also think barba has been really good for us these last few weeks. more his defense then anything. wich to me is a great sign who would of thought you would be ever praising barbas defense and not his attack. but im confident his attacking flair will come back.

part of me hopes that griffin realizes the weight he has put on has damaged his attacking game. and next year he will be told to lose it again.

but question has to be asked is barba defending better then he ever has in his career right now because he has that extra weight and strength to stop try scorers close to the line?

not really sure if it does or not but its something to think about

I don't think Barba's ever been that bad defensively. I think it was just that he was so good in attack that it gets overlooked. He definitely has the smarts of knowing what to do and how to stop blokes close to the line. I reckon he's stopped at least 10 tries this season.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Reading the game thread on Greenhouse.

cartman-tears-o.gif

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I thought it was an ordinary performance. Against a better side, Broncos probably would have lost. They were gifting Raiders some decent field position in that second half there. I'm just glad they come away with a win in a place where we always tend to struggle.

17 years later, Broncos finally have a win against Canberra on a Monday night.

That now gives us a 50% win record against Canberra on a Monday night.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I think it was gifted through a result of injury, poor refereeing and complacency.

Against quality opposition we would have shown more resolve, IMO.

While I don't think the Raiders played well and did play into our hands, I thought they asserted themselves well in the arm wrestle. They didn't give us that many opportunities in the first half.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Its not like their defence was terrible, they only missed 16 tackles

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Aye, generally they were pretty good.

Their work under the high ball was pretty terrible though.

In saying that, I was incredibly impressed with our ability to hold them out leading into half-time. By rights, they should have scored at least once when they got all those repeat sets. That virtually won us the game right there.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Its always good to beat Rickys teams

Last edited:
Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Just saw Mcguires penalties. He deserves a week for being a dumb ass.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
McGuire should be in origin instead lillyman IMO. He was great apart from stupid penalties. That was a fiery game I loved it Paul Vaughan is abit of a grub no doubt. Reed was solid defensively. We made the raiders give us the game with our defence you could see that they were getting angry at themselves. Throwing tantrums trying to have a scuffle. No discipline for the raiders handed us that win.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Very good to get the win. While giving all due credit, I don't think we should get too carried away with top four aspirations. Concession of unnecessary penalties and handling errors would likely be punished by better sides.

Despite that, a comfortable 24 point win speaks for itself. Commitment in defence was excellent, and there was no worrying late game fade out. The Raiders didn't throw an awful lot at us, but for once we didn't play to the level of our competition.

Forwards were good, aside from Wallace, and the usual snaps from McGuire (who was a machine otherwise). Thought our tactical kicking care of Hunt and Macca was good. Reed is looking solid again, nice to see. Hodges played his role without trying to do too much which has been a tendency before.

Still think we're bottom half of the eight at this stage, though crucial injuries to Rabbitohs, Eels, Storm, etc may advance our cause. Need to step it up a gear to be a contender. Some very encouraging signs though!

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Good honest appraisals all round but lads, we won comfortably in Canberra after smashing the best team in the comp last weekend and a bye to come. It is time to be excited, there I said it.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
A great win. How dirty was that game though, lot's of niggle. Broncos got away to their traditional 12-0 start. Got a bit comfortable, then the Raiders fell over themselves.

Our forwards are getting better and better. And so they should. There's been some massive underperformers coming good right now.

Cornish 3/3 tackled on the last. Wow.

We are looking pretty good right now and have shown we can mix it with the Roosters and Rabbitohs (the form teams of the past 2 years). Will be interesting to see how we go up against the Storm (our ultimate bogey side).

...if Barba can find some form...

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
That was a great win last night. Was a real danger game as no one likes travelling to Canberra but we produced a real solid 80min performance. They made us work for that win and when they scored they could have easily made a game of it but we were too good.

After all the crap Reed has copped so far this year, and mostly deserved, i thought he was sensational in defence marking up on Wighton. He clearly had him frustrated and rattled after dominating him all night and left the Raiders having to find other ways to score points.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • rnabokov
  • Brocko
  • something
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.