Night
19:35

Sharks

Team Lists

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Been saying this for a while, except I think Smoothy is our best hooker (though nothing special). Billy should be our impact from the bench, plus halves cover. I'm certain Smoothy can play 80 minutes if necessary, as all hookers have to do sometimes, if Billy has to slot into the halves.

The hitch with this - if you want to lean into conspiracies - is you would expect the 14 to be replaced by Mozer at some point. But Blake is a starting hooker. He offers no cover. Which means, you would really need to partner him with Billy.

So leaving Tyson at 14 leaves him most prone to being replaced by Mozer. Unfair, but that's how it will play out.
Exactly how it will play out

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Was thinking just this, with all of our boys going there.
Was also thinking similar with Haas under Madge.

Madge is a modern day coach, he knows the importance of ruck speed, so it will be interesting if Payne is suddenly trying to find his front next Wednesday and looking for quick ptbs.

Ruck speed and rolling through the middle was a focal point for Madge in the 2014 premiership

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
You do realise it's the defensive structure that's mostly at fault. Oates had multiple 2on1 and 3on1 situations, his job under the structure is to jam the centre and rely on cover defence to get the winger.
Oates has been let down by inside men the past couple weeks and seems to be getting all the hate from it.
Karipani has been making some poor decisions and either not knowing or trusting the defensive structure we use, which has worked well with Cobbo, Jesse or Staggs at centre on either side.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
No origin players backing up so it’s up to our depth to come in and do something. Our team is so much weaker with Sailor injured during this origin period. It’s a must win
At least one of Walsh or Cobbo will need to back up, otherwise we won't have a fullback.

Interesting game for us this one: a win over the top placed team will stamp our authority in the top 4. But a loss won't mean so much given how hard we're hit by injuries and Origin.

If enough of our Origin players back up I think we can win this one.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
At least one of Walsh or Cobbo will need to back up, otherwise we won't have a fullback.

Interesting game for us this one: a win over the top placed team will stamp our authority in the top 4. But a loss won't mean so much given how hard we're hit by injuries and Origin.

If enough of our Origin players back up I think we can win this one.

Depending on how Billy uses Cobbs, if he only gets say 10-15 mins, I'd say he would definitely back up.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Depending on how Billy uses Cobbs, if he only gets say 10-15 mins, I'd say he would definitely back up.
I'll be very interested to see how he does use him. He mentioned maybe even creating a special position for him. I wouldn't be against Kevvie carrying a pure back on the bench if he can shift Selwyn into some other role towards the end of the game. He said he played lock as a kid.

I haven't been massively impressed with Hetherington the last couple of weeks. Maybe his name needs to be thrown into the ring of players who might get rotated out.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I'll be very interested to see how he does use him. He mentioned maybe even creating a special position for him. I wouldn't be against Kevvie carrying a pure back on the bench if he can shift Selwyn into some other role towards the end of the game. He said he played lock as a kid.

I haven't been massively impressed with Hetherington the last couple of weeks. Maybe his name needs to be thrown into the ring of players who might get rotated out.
I agree Kobe has gone seriously off the boil both in attack and defence. he needs a haircut ffs and I don't mean financially.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Yeah Hetherington has been disappointing, so many have. Not sure we have anyone left to drop him for though?

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I've noticed hethrington is going on to the 2nd row with riki moving into the middle the past month or so.
Walters needs to pull the trigger here. Is hethrington 2nd row cover? Bcos if he is then get gojetski (who hasn't been bad) out and use him as that, if he isn't I think he needs to get out of the side. He is great but our go forward is shithouse and patty/payne are taking on too much, even with Jensen and willison helping well. We only really have 1 prop on the bench, our game is built on momentum ffs. If tw kura was available I'd be screaming it from the rooftops but even tapau or baker would be better options. Worse players, by far, but unfortunately having only 1 big prop on the bench isn't working for us.

I'd also swap smoothy and Walters. Walters is still our best hooker I believe but he looks tired tbh. Let him be an impact hooker for a little bit and see if he can be rejuvenated.

And karipani has great attacking talent (running, not passing) but his centre defence is shocking. Wing until he improves it. Oates drops another wrung on the pecking order. Although he hasn't been shocking, just way too slow.
I think we just need to fix our Defence before we even think about making alterations to our attack. Normally when Kobe comes onto the field he plays with tired forwards and uses his acceleration and footwork to burst onto the ball. Because we have been shit at handing over possession, we don't build any pressure and blokes like Kobe are less effective..

kobe needs to be better in Defence though without a doubt. So does everyone!

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah Hetherington has been disappointing, so many have. Not sure we have anyone left to drop him for though?
No pressure from below in any position other than hooker, right now.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
We just really need to fix our line speed and intent in defence. It’s our biggest problem. Our winger jamming will work if our line speed is where it needs to be.
We've been flattered by attacks that have bumbled the ball on the edge, even more than we have, this season. So many of our wins have been lucky.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

As you say....so many have. Its a bit harsh singling out Kobe.

I dunno.....we've been keeping our heads above water for the last few weeks (considering our injuries).
For the first 20 mins against the Titans, it looked like we were going to run away with it.

...and then, bad defensive lapses.
What caused that / how to combat that?
Need to figure that out this week.......

We have the right cattle....but at times, they aren't being steered right.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
You think Smoothey is pushing Billy out .....based on current form?
Nope. For the two reasons I stated:

1. Billy can cover the halves, which raises his value.
2. If you were coach, would you drop your son if you had another option?

Billy's competition is Paix, who can also cover the halves, plus can play longer minutes. And he's never getting another game for the Broncos.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
As much as Reece and Ezra are exciting attacking weapons.......I believe both still have a long way to go in figuring out how to get your team in a position to win games. For mine....they both go MIA way too often.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
As much as Reece and Ezra are exciting attacking weapons.......I believe both still have a long way to go in figuring out how to get your team in a position to win games. For mine....they both go MIA way too often.
Absolutely correct. Both of them are 21 and still have a lot of development to go.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
As you say....so many have. Its a bit harsh singling out Kobe.

I dunno.....we've been keeping our heads above water for the last few weeks (considering our injuries).
For the first 20 mins against the Titans, it looked like we were going to run away with it.

...and then, bad defensive lapses.
What caused that / how to combat that?
Need to figure that out this week.......

We have the right cattle....but at times, they aren't being steered right.

Yeah it is harsh but it isn't a one off this year, Kobe has been really underwhelming.

But as you say, the change happened around 20 mins...when Kobe came on.

Unread

Active Now

• marw
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.