Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I'm more concerned about basic errors, lack of improvement in younger forwards.

I'll concede we are shit in the air and leak too many tries from kicks but that's a team issue not a Boyd positioning one in my view.

Boyd was comfortably in my top 3 on Friday and without him we lose

He defends in the line. That is our game plan. I'm not sure how else to put it.

Surely the whole Boyd defending in the line project has to be reviewed. It's just asking for trouble. We may not have the best kicking game but there are actually halves in the nrl that do and they'll lick their lips at seeing no fullback at home.

Surely the whole Boyd defending in the line project has to be reviewed. It's just asking for trouble. We may not have the best kicking game but there are actually halves in the nrl that do and they'll lick their lips at seeing no fullback at home.
Surely that's a bit of an overreaction to a couple of tries. They targeted knick successfully. If anything the players around him should have helped. Our players weren't ready for it. Not sure why, but next game they will be.
Boyd defending in the line has been lauded by a lot of people, including billy slater and Kevin Walters. His ability to do so was a selling point for his selection in origin 1.
The point was made earlier, but I'll repeat it in that the main reason that game was close was some pretty simple errors made. The team's tired and the bye might help there.

I think Oates tbf performs his role in the team as well as anyone. He keeps things simple and does what he's good at and he knows how to get the ball down and score a try. I think as a winger, you can get away with being a bit one dimensional more than a center. Moga to me just seems to have a bit of tunnel vision when he runs the ball right now. Its no good trying to compare him to the player from 2014, he isnt that player now, he doesnt ( not yet for us anyway ) do the same things.

I'm also pretty confident Moga isnt under coaches orders just to play as a battering ram. Could just be he lacks a bit of confidence and needs to back himself more. I know Moga is a bit quiet and they are trying to get him talking more on the pitch. There isnt much communication between Milf/Moga ( which is surprising to me as they played together at school ) and Moga/Oates compared to when Reed was playing, which would explain why we leak a lot of points down the left side.

Oates has one option to score . Be in space on the outside -dive in the corner . If that option is not on what`s his plan B ?
Like I said put Kahu with Moga and we will score more tries on Moga`s side .

Weaken a strength to strengthen a weakness . Nah - All teams play the full back in the line inside the 10 . Part of the reason the Dogs for example using short drop out or Broncs retreating defense . Once in the 10m there are 13 in the line . Spacing is tighter - harder for runners to get through . Just need to be aware and contest for the ball . Not 3 players blocking and none contesting for the ball .

Terrible choice of words.

Boyd was in everything to open the game and came up with some huge plays to get the Broncos on the front foot. Those two tries weren't on him either, he has to stay in line with Reynolds to cover all options, both those kicks were down to the centre and neither of them got into position. Moga especially had a great catch on that and didn't even try to go for it.

Boyd always hands it off to Oates because Oates is right up there with Mansour in terms of getting the Broncos on the front foot. He'll then go to dummy half and pick up an easy 10-15m to get the Broncos rolling. That's why he was right up there in terms of making the most runs of anybody.

I'm afraid you're clutching at straws in this instance.

The one on Moga`s side was next to the posts . Moga was at least 10 metres and 2-3 players wider . And those players all tried to block the runner / jumper rather than contesting the ball . Ball dropping around the 2nd rowers / halves position .
Not the centre .The 1st one was dropping on Kodi`s head . He blocked for Roberts . Roberts made a poor effort to catch the one on his side .

Last edited:
Tautau Moga is getting better. He is running with more confidence now. Still does some dumb things (like not passing enough) but you can see he is backing himself more now and striding out. He must be feeling better about his knee.

Oates has one option to score . Be in space on the outside -dive in the corner . If that option is not on what`s his plan B ?
Like I said put Kahu with Moga and we will score more tries on Moga`s side .

Oates does that though in difficult circumstances sometimes. He has scored tries he has no right scoring in some games. Despite his success, Oates is still just a stop gap winger, he isnt a natural there. Moga wouldnt do any better with Kahu as his winger the way he plays right now because he is just holding the ball too much. Thats up to him to work on.

The other things i mentioned about him, like his communication, his defence and the dumb penalties he gives away ( he is our most penalised, or one of our most penalised players iirc ) arent down to the bloke outside of him. Oates is a talker, so thats something Moga needs to work on. Look at the try Critchon scored the other night from that kick. Moga is fantastic at jumping for the ball, he should have attempted to take that kick and cleaned all those other blokes up but he just stood there along with Marshall and Glenn i think it was.

When we get a few more options i think Moga will have to pick his game up defensively. We know Wayne doesnt like the silly penalties and poor defence. Mogas attitude is pretty good though, from what i hear is works pretty hard at training, but he has played enough with these blokes now to start tightening up some of the little things. Bennett wont hesitate in doing whats best for the team.

The one on Moga`s side was next to the posts . Moga was at least 10 metres and 2-3 players wider . And those players all tried to block the runner / jumper rather than contesting the ball . Ball dropping around the 2nd rowers / halves position .
Not the centre .The 1st one was dropping on Kodi`s head . He blocked for Roberts . Roberts made a poor effort to catch the one on his side .

I think you are trying too hard to make excuses for a player you like. Moga wasnt the only one at fault, there were 3 of them ball watching but he had the best tools to attempt to deal with that kick.

No, it touches Walker which makes it a knock on. Walker's arm was under the ball, that's why it never touched the ground in the first place.
I see what you're saying. I'm just not convinced, and don't think there is conclusive evidence of it touching Walker. I would not be surprised to see that go against us if the roles were reversed. Who was the VR anyway?

I see what you're saying. I'm just not convinced, and don't think there is conclusive evidence of it touching Walker. I would not be surprised to see that go against us if the roles were reversed. Who was the VR anyway?
I agree, it went up as a try so should have stayed that way. If it went up no try, then fair enough. The VR was the other Sutton by the way.

I just think it's unlucky. No matter how you try to look at it, the ball comes away from Moga's grasp momentarily. The unlucky part is that it spins. If it had just bobbled slightly then we could argue that Walker's contact forced the ball closer to Moga's body but he never let it go, it would have had to remain a try because it wouldn't be conclusive. But IMO the ball spinning, just like it did for the Cowboy's no-try early this year / late last year (can't remember which), is conclusive evidence that there was separation.

At the game on the big screen, it looked like a booble but it didn't touch the ground and I couldn't see any evidence of it being knocked on into a souths player so in my opinion there wasn't conclusive evidence.

At the game on the big screen, it looked like a booble but it didn't touch the ground and I couldn't see any evidence of it being knocked on into a souths player so in my opinion there wasn't conclusive evidence.
I like boobles.

Unread

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.