POST GAME Round 14 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

You May me be completely right. Maybe I should have said he hasn't displayed much football skill, I can't be certain that he isn't capable.

My issue isn't only with his passing though. His tackling technique, and defensive positioning can be very inconsistent. He also just doesn't seem to have a lot of the little things drilled into him that top players have. For example, h is great at getting over the line but doesn't seem to naturally be able to position himself to ground the ball. He also seems to not really understand how to slow the ruck without being penalised.

They definitely aren't issues worth being dropped over but he just seems to me like the textbook example of an athlete who is trying to be molded into a footy player. Though all you have to do is look at Semi to see what happens when it clicks for them.

I totally agree with this. If we give him all of this season to work on those things and he gets them fixed, he could be a very good player for us.

You May me be completely right. Maybe I should have said he hasn't displayed much football skill, I can't be certain that he isn't capable.

My issue isn't only with his passing though. His tackling technique, and defensive positioning can be very inconsistent. He also just doesn't seem to have a lot of the little things drilled into him that top players have. For example, h is great at getting over the line but doesn't seem to naturally be able to position himself to ground the ball. He also seems to not really understand how to slow the ruck without being penalised.

They definitely aren't issues worth being dropped over but he just seems to me like the textbook example of an athlete who is trying to be molded into a footy player. Though all you have to do is look at Semi to see what happens when it clicks for them.

He wont get dropped yet, we have nobody in to replace him.

Good point you make about Semi, but play him at center and he wouldnt be as effective. I think Moga could be more effective as a winger personally.

I disagree that he has very poor football skills, I think it is more that he doesn't have the confidence in himself to fully utilise them yet. I think he has passed the ball to Oates on the outside a few times this year and Oates has almost immediately been pushed out, so I think he is a bit trigger shy.

I agree . Play in Sydney at night or NZ day or night and the chances of getting pushed into touch increase greatly .
He most certainly can pass and position a winger I`ve seen him do it before several times . I made a few GIF s highlighting it last week . Put Jordie alongside him I think you would see more tries .
GIFS ->
https://broncoshq.com/threads/round-14-broncos-vs-rabbitohs.31766/page-7#post-2844113

https://broncoshq.com/threads/round-14-broncos-vs-rabbitohs.31766/page-6#post-2844085

Last edited:
Those clips though were from 2014 iirc. He hasnt done anything like that for us on a regular basis. Somethings changed somewhere with him.

Moga was tearing the Bunnies to shreds down that left-hand side, but through a combination of some bad luck and his own boneheaded-ness didn't get the results to show for it. Could have had 3 tries and 3 try assists if things had gone a little better.

He may not ever reach his potential, but if he does his place in the side will never be in question.

I agree . Play in Sydney at night or NZ day or night and the chances of getting pushed into touch increase greatly .
He most certainly can pass and position a winger I`ve seen him do it before several times . I made a few GIF s highlighting it last week . Put Jordie alongside him I think you would see more tries .
GIFS ->
https://broncoshq.com/threads/round-14-broncos-vs-rabbitohs.31766/page-7#post-2844113

https://broncoshq.com/threads/round-14-broncos-vs-rabbitohs.31766/page-6#post-2844085
Thanks for sharing those. They were cool clips. The passes weren't the prettiest things you'll ever see but if he starts to get some of those out to Oates there could be some great results.

On a different note, I'm not sure if anyone has spoken about Gillett in this thread yet but his defence was monsterous as usual. Put on some huge shots and was really aggressive all night.

Those clips though were from 2014 iirc. He hasnt done anything like that for us on a regular basis. Somethings changed somewhere with him.

Coaches orders ? Corey Oates not being able to change direction quickly and or refuses to come back inside when Moga gets on the outside of his man . Oates tippy toeing on the side line not the best option to pass to . Well maybe from within 5 m of the try line .

Moga is definitely a powerful runner. However, those clips show Moga can pass but not draw and pass. Using the example where Oates got caught by J Graham is a perfect example of what Moga is doing wrong. He draws the defense TO his winger then throws a hospital ball (remember the one Boyd copped?). What about the one he threw to Mead?
The opposition has already worked out that thet dont even need to mark Oates (the exception is close to their own line).

We know Oates cn score tries and thr only change has been his centre. Its got to screw his confidence only getting the ball on kick returns. Comparing Oates passing ability to Moga is impossible as Oates is rarely expected to pass but weve seen him do it. Dont forget his little kick infield for Milf to score as well so Oates footy brain is higher funxtioning than Mogas from what ive seen.

Also Oates saved his butt making a tackle he should have made so his defense is atill a concern.

Coaches orders ? Corey Oates not being able to change direction quickly and or refuses to come back inside when Moga gets on the outside of his man . Oates tippy toeing on the side line not the best option to pass to . Well maybe from within 5 m of the try line .

I think Oates tbf performs his role in the team as well as anyone. He keeps things simple and does what he's good at and he knows how to get the ball down and score a try. I think as a winger, you can get away with being a bit one dimensional more than a center. Moga to me just seems to have a bit of tunnel vision when he runs the ball right now. Its no good trying to compare him to the player from 2014, he isnt that player now, he doesnt ( not yet for us anyway ) do the same things.

I'm also pretty confident Moga isnt under coaches orders just to play as a battering ram. Could just be he lacks a bit of confidence and needs to back himself more. I know Moga is a bit quiet and they are trying to get him talking more on the pitch. There isnt much communication between Milf/Moga ( which is surprising to me as they played together at school ) and Moga/Oates compared to when Reed was playing, which would explain why we leak a lot of points down the left side.

Moga's try definitely the wrong call, he did lose control of the ball but it didn't come into contact with the ground. You can't see if Walker touches the ball . Therefore on field decision shoul remain.insuficient evidence to overrule.

Moga's try definitely the wrong call, he did lose control of the ball but it didn't come into contact with the ground. You can't see if Walker touches the ball . Therefore on field decision shoul remain.insuficient evidence to overrule.
Pretty much exactly what I think.

What do think our attack so far this year as compare to last year?

Anyone else notice how disinterested Boyd was on Friday night? Both centre field bombs he's nowhere to be seen, did about 2-3 kick returns, usually just passed it off even when wingers under pressure. His work ethic is abysmal. He sticks to one side in attack and doesn't run around looking for it like the better fullbacks like Slater, Tedesco, RTS etc. I am constantly shocked at the level of praise he gets. He is safe under the highball, but he almost cost us the game last night by simply being out of position more often than not. Terrible effort for a captain.

Anyone else notice how disinterested Boyd was on Friday night? Both centre field bombs he's nowhere to be seen, did about 2-3 kick returns, usually just passed it off even when wingers under pressure. His work ethic is abysmal. He sticks to one side in attack and doesn't run around looking for it like the better fullbacks like Slater, Tedesco, RTS etc. I am constantly shocked at the level of praise he gets. He is safe under the highball, but he almost cost us the game last night by simply being out of position more often than not. Terrible effort for a captain.

Terrible choice of words.

Boyd was in everything to open the game and came up with some huge plays to get the Broncos on the front foot. Those two tries weren't on him either, he has to stay in line with Reynolds to cover all options, both those kicks were down to the centre and neither of them got into position. Moga especially had a great catch on that and didn't even try to go for it.

Boyd always hands it off to Oates because Oates is right up there with Mansour in terms of getting the Broncos on the front foot. He'll then go to dummy half and pick up an easy 10-15m to get the Broncos rolling. That's why he was right up there in terms of making the most runs of anybody.

I'm afraid you're clutching at straws in this instance.

He's out of position because of how our defence is structured with him in the line. By virtue it makes us susceptible to kicks. I don't know if he's not making the effort to cover because he knows he can't get there or what, but I agree the 'trying effort' is lacking at times.

I will counter that it was the best kick return game of his I've seen in a long time. He still passed, but he took a few quality hit ups from kicks. He usually just ambles up and backs into the line. It wasn't great by the competition standard, but for him it was much better than usual.

The ruck backing up is an issue team-wide. At times it looks like we have been coached to not provide offloads and thus no support play.

He's great at what he does, which is bomb defusal and running the sweep/passing plays

Why is Boyd's lack of kick returns an issue?

Ever noticed what Oates does when he takes them? He drags defenders and gets our sets off to a good start. He passes it to Oates for a reason.

Any coach in the NRL would love that.

Why is Boyd's lack of kick returns an issue?

Ever noticed what Oates does when he takes them? He drags defenders and gets our sets off to a good start. He passes it to Oates for a reason.

Any coach in the NRL would love that.
I agree. I've got no prob with him dishing it off to Oates. I know who I'd rather tackle as a defender chasing a kick.

Active Now

• cento
  • NYCDB
  • Yellowfella
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.