PRE-GAME Round 14 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

Status
Not open for further replies.
he is good defensively if someone runs straight at him, but they second the start using footwork and lateral movements he is left clutching at thin air

The Roosters scored twice on his side earlier in the season . The problem was more to do with spacing than amazing footwork beating him . Milf was too far infield . Since then I haven`t seen anybody get it over him .Tries 1-1 with his opposite number last week . The Easts right centre came in between Bunji and who ever was playing left 2nd row not past Moga 1 on 1 .Moga stepped out of his opposite number`s tackle to score .

Playing on the same side of the field as Sammy and Alex Glen doesn`t help ...
Been a few times I thought there`s enough space for Moga to put something on .And the 2nd rowers hold onto the ball and run back infield . Those guys aren`t exactly ball players .
Also Milf`s run 1st / pass later is also a factor . Early ball like we see on the right side could see a difference .

Bunji threw him a slick pass the other week and he split the line .

I think Moga just needs to be more vocal/read the game a bit better. I don't know if he has much playmaking intelligence but Jack Reed would always get the ball from Milf and I believe it was because he was asking for it, whereas Moga just seems to wait politely to let Milf decide. Benji is an old head and knows how to set a play with young men in the team, wait until Milford realises that he can dictate the game better when he delegates the tasks more and has the opposition in two minds. He did this intuitively in 2015, but lately he has been trying too hard and the combination with Moga is too new.

Also, some of the early ball on the right side is way too early. The players should engage the defensive line to a certain extent first before trying to give it to Roberts. Lobbing a pass out to him standing flat footed and waiting for the ball has just seem him looking lost. Hunt is trying really hard over there but he just needs to plan his attack a little better. Play what he sees, yes but have a set of plays ready. Also, Boyd seems to pass too early going right as well. There will be an overlap and he will pass 3-5 meters before the line to Roberts. What good does that do? How is Roberts going to get on the outside shoulder of his opposite, or get the ball on to the winger?

I really rate Kodi Nikorima and the fact that he can be dangerous when he starts and when he comes off the bench says a lot about his skill. I think he has been stifled in the past because of both the halves trying too hard and removing his personal options. He is a really relaxed footballer (as others have pointed out) and I would love to see him get the nod next season.

I would really like to see the Broncos click this season, they are going through the motions at the moment and not actually thinking or playing with the heart and creativity they had in 2015. I know they have a lot of time left to find this and Melbourne have this method working really well for them, but until the boys are actually playing a natural game it will be difficult to watch. The Tigers game this year was probably one of the more natural games for the Broncos because they started to get their confidence up.

Moga shows us a glimpse every week, the main issue is that the glimpse is in the midst of 75 minutes of utter trash decision making, errors & penalties conceded.

Add to that list ; metres in our half .Metres after contact . Speed of play the ball . Quick pass off the ground after Oates`s run .
He`ll be OK .

Add to that list ; metres in our half .Metres after contact . Speed of play the ball . Quick pass off the ground after Oates`s run .
He`ll be OK .

For minimum wage we could do worse.

Moga looks like being WB's project player for the year. Normally, when he takes on a project player, good things happen to the player and the team. Happy to persist.

I think Moga just needs to be more vocal/read the game a bit better. I don't know if he has much playmaking intelligence but Jack Reed would always get the ball from Milf and I believe it was because he was asking for it, whereas Moga just seems to wait politely to let Milf decide. Benji is an old head and knows how to set a play with young men in the team, wait until Milford realises that he can dictate the game better when he delegates the tasks more and has the opposition in two minds. He did this intuitively in 2015, but lately he has been trying too hard and the combination with Moga is too new.

Also, some of the early ball on the right side is way too early. The players should engage the defensive line to a certain extent first before trying to give it to Roberts. Lobbing a pass out to him standing flat footed and waiting for the ball has just seem him looking lost. Hunt is trying really hard over there but he just needs to plan his attack a little better. Play what he sees, yes but have a set of plays ready. Also, Boyd seems to pass too early going right as well. There will be an overlap and he will pass 3-5 meters before the line to Roberts. What good does that do? How is Roberts going to get on the outside shoulder of his opposite, or get the ball on to the winger?

I really rate Kodi Nikorima and the fact that he can be dangerous when he starts and when he comes off the bench says a lot about his skill. I think he has been stifled in the past because of both the halves trying too hard and removing his personal options. He is a really relaxed footballer (as others have pointed out) and I would love to see him get the nod next season.

I would really like to see the Broncos click this season, they are going through the motions at the moment and not actually thinking or playing with the heart and creativity they had in 2015. I know they have a lot of time left to find this and Melbourne have this method working really well for them, but until the boys are actually playing a natural game it will be difficult to watch. The Tigers game this year was probably one of the more natural games for the Broncos because they started to get their confidence up.
Great post... and definitely agree on the going through the motions. The emphasis is too high on playing structured footy not only at the broncos but in NRL.... and the last few weeks we've gone through the motions thinking this style of footy will win it as long as we're patient.

Structured footy used to be fine when there was an abundance of natural halfbacks and pretty much every team had a capable ball playing halfback but now it's hens teeth.

Defences are also too well structured nowadays for sub par halfbacks to try and replicate a structured attack and expect a win. Everyone wants to play like the storm but their emphasis is on the ruck in attack and defense. They know trys come from quick play the balls and they play a game plan to create them in offense and reduce them in defence. They don't just run a block play for the hell of it they play off the back of a quick ruck

Moga is one of those guys Phil Gould said take note of this name when he debuted.

If he can replicate half the stuff I have seen him do in the past he will be a quality signing .

Last edited:
Moga is one of those guys Phil Gould said take note of this name when he debuted.

If he can replicate half the stuff I have seen him do in the past he will be a quality signing .

He won't replicate what he did years ago before his injuries hit. He just isn't the same player. And tbf, Gould says that about a lot of players.

That was with 2 knee reconstructions ...

Why not just post the video?

Thing is though, hand picked clips can be made to make anyone look great in isolation. On the flip side of that, it wouldn't be that difficult either if anyone could be bothered to cut together some footage of his poor defence, dropped balls and missed tackles.

He won't replicate what he did years ago before his injuries hit. He just isn't the same player. And tbf, Gould says that about a lot of players.

Not a big Phil fan . But he does talk sense occasionally .

I said half of what i`ve seen he`s capable of . How many knee recons has Jordan Kahu had ?

Especially ones that were playing for the roosters.

Thing is though, hand picked clips can be made to make anyone look great in isolation. On the flip side of that, it wouldn't be that difficult either if anyone could be bothered to cut together some footage of his poor defence, dropped balls and missed tackles.

I was highlighting what he`s capable of . You could name any player and make a bloopers reel . They are humans . They all make mistakes .

Not many guys who could throw those passes like he did . On both sides of the field .

Show me some poor defense and missed tackles please .Other than against the Roosters 1st time . I seem to have missed them . Must of been when I went for a piss during a game .

Disagree.

Every tried making a Maranta montage?

It doesn't matter what highlights, music or fancy effects you put into it, you aren't making him look great!

Disagree.

Every tried making a Maranta montage?

It doesn't matter what highlights, music or fancy effects you put into it, you aren't making him look great!
Except that time when he was tackled and then got up and ran in a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.