PRE-GAME Round 14 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round14Team

Because people don't look any further afield than his eight minutes off the bench for the Broncos.
I don't think people look beyond the 8mins in general and actually watch how he plays. For an undersized forward I rarely see him get dominated in the ruck on his hit ups and his offload looks quite decent.

I saw a comparison to Stagg earlier which I believe is waaaay off. Stagg was a great middle defender, offered some form of versatility (at least in Bennett's eyes) but in no way does he offer the overall work rate that Arrow does.

There is also no way that Arrow will be lost to NRL. Plenty of clubs will come sniffing around when looking for a potential 80min lock at a discount price. Titans for mine would be stupid not to offer him something. Sharks were also in the hunt last time he was off contract.

I don't think people look beyond the 8mins in general and actually watch how he plays. For an undersized forward I rarely see him get dominated in the ruck on his hit ups and his offload looks quite decent.

I saw a comparison to Stagg earlier which I believe is waaaay off. Stagg was a great middle defender, offered some form of versatility (at least in Bennett's eyes) but in no way does he offer the overall work rate that Arrow does.

There is also no way that Arrow will be lost to NRL. Plenty of clubs will come sniffing around when looking for a potential 80min lock at a discount price. Titans for mine would be stupid not to offer him something. Sharks were also in the hunt last time he was off contract.
Arrow is anything but undersized... he's not David Klemmer or Taumalolo, but he is Corey Parker's size.

I thing Joe Ofa (and I know I'm pretty isolated on this one) is in a similar situation, which wasn't helped by him going off the rails last season. He's a work horse prop that will eat meters and tackle at will, which is something we really lack.

Of course, with TPJ, Arrow, Su'a, Fai and Ese'ese in the picture, he kind of fades away, but he's the only one in his mould we have available outside of McGuire, and would come in very handy in a team with limited go forward like ours.

The Titans seem to take all our fringe guys these days anyway so I would t be surprised to see Joffa, Arrow, Isaako and Pearson all end up there.

I dont know if any of you guys saw the titans game last rd but Zillman came off the bench did some very zillololol type things within a few minutes.

Titans will def take a Isaako or Pearson for Zilly, they would throw in Ash Taylor for good measure

Which to be fair, is somewhat important. There are plenty of examples of people that kill it in Q Cup/NSW cup but never amount to much in the NRL.

It isn't an exact barometer, but if you don't make an impact in the NRL when you get a chance, you will be forgotten by the next up and coming youngster, conveyor belt style.

yes, I know he forced his way into a rep squad as 18th man and that's great, but it was still at a lower level.

Judging a guy on a few minutes at the end of games is not really fair. Be like judging a batsman on coming in during the 49th over of a ODI.

Ben Hunt faces increasing pressure for Broncos starting halfback from Benji Marshall and Kodi Nikorima

BEN Hunt is fighting for his starting spot at the Broncos, with coach Wayne Bennett revealing a rejuvenated Benji Marshall is putting pressure on Brisbane’s first-choice halfback.

Bennett told The Courier-Mail he was considering starting Marshall in a full-strength Broncos side after his slick form in the past fortnight amid Brisbane’s traditional State of Origin grind.

Hunt, who will join the Dragons next season on a $6 million deal, has lost two consecutive games since his return from injury and must pilot Brisbane to victory against Souths this Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Bennett signed Marshall to a shock $100,000 deal last October with a view to the veteran playmaker helping out during an Origin period that annually decimates Brisbane’s starting side.

But Marshall’s superb display against the Roosters last week, headlined by a try and two try assists, has impressed Bennett and turned up the heat on the Anthony Milford-Hunt scrumbase alliance.

Hunt was named at halfback on Tuesday, with Marshall at No.19 for the Souths clash, but Bennett will wait until Brisbane’s captain’s run on Thursday to finalise his 17-man squad.

“Benji is keeping them honest,” Bennett said of his four-way scrumbase battle that includes supersub Kodi Nikorima.

“Competition makes such a difference, it brings out the best in everyone.

“We have Anthony and Ben as our halves, but there’s Benji and Kodi and I’m watching all of them.

“Benji can play halfback, five-eighth, centre and fullback so he gives me options. I’ll make a final decision on the team on Thursday.”

The Courier-Mail understands classy five-eighth Milford, who made his Queensland Origin debut last Wednesday, is under no threat.

But Hunt is not a selection untouchable, with Bennett impressed by the development of Nikorima, who won five straight games as a starting halfback while Hunt nursed a hamstring injury.

The super coach also lauded the 32-year-old Marshall’s off-field attitude, which is set to deliver the former Kiwi Test skipper a 12-month contract extension at Red Hill.

“Benji is just what we needed at this time of year, that’s why I wanted him,” he said.

“He was one of the stars of the game in his prime and he hasn’t lost that, he still has the desire for it.

“He has been wonderful for this club, I can’t fault the contribution he has made since he came here. I am pleased with the opportunities he’s had and hopefully he gets some more opportunities in the coming weeks.”

Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough said Marshall’s performances are evidence no player at Red Hill can take an NRL spot for granted.

“It’s a luxury having him,” he said. “I’m glad I’m not picking the team.

“It’s up to Wayne and he will pick the most balanced team we need to have.

“It’s a good headache to have, especially during this period. To have Benji’s experience is great ... it keeps everyone on their toes and keeps everyone performing.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...a/news-story/0ee810f8af428886d8938ff4e7091c37

It appears we the posters are not stupid after all ! If Marshall gets a chance and takes it Hunt will end up leaving early or being dropped altogether. I wouldn't have thought it likely earlier on in the season but WB might just have decided Hunt hasn't recovered or is likely to. Hard to believe St George paid so much for him.

Hunt to St George early and we get Bird and Dugan to Cronulla by June 30? Make it happen!

Hunt to St George early and we get Bird and Dugan to Cronulla by June 30? Make it happen!

I'm not so sure i'm keen on that... i'd still love to see Hunt leave us on the right terms (after a win on October 1)

It appears we the posters are not stupid after all ! If Marshall gets a chance and takes it Hunt will end up leaving early or being dropped altogether. I wouldn't have thought it likely earlier on in the season but WB might just have decided Hunt hasn't recovered or is likely to. Hard to believe St George paid so much for him.

for that to happen, Hunt will more than likely need to be dropped (and told he won't be getting back in the team) by next week. since the deadline is June 30. and there would still need to be negotiation between the clubs, Hunt and the NRL

Which to be fair, is somewhat important. There are plenty of examples of people that kill it in Q Cup/NSW cup but never amount to much in the NRL.

It isn't an exact barometer, but if you don't make an impact in the NRL when you get a chance, you will be forgotten by the next up and coming youngster, conveyor belt style.

yes, I know he forced his way into a rep squad as 18th man and that's great, but it was still at a lower level.
There's been games where Arrow has done a couple offloads in a couple minutes and bends the line with each run. Anyway I'm sure Bennett sees his a talent, it's clear as day light.

Or it is mind games so Hunt can pick his game up.

So clearly Hunt's head isn't right if it's come to publicly putting the challenge up for his spot. Hope it fires him up.

So clearly Hunt's head isn't right if it's come to publicly putting the challenge up for his spot. Hope it fires him up.

He hasn't been right since the end of the 2015 grand final. He needs a change of scenery badly and I wish him all the best at the dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Johnny92
  • Mustafur
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • scobie
  • Dreaglor
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.