Round 14 - Broncos vs Raiders - Post Match Discussion

Yes, credit where it's due Carlaw had a real good opening stint and it's fair to say we really missed him in the long run. I never understood why people thought he was such a dud, his form in 2007 was actually pretty good before everybody and their dog got injured.

Why drop Macca after a couple of good games?

We had the game in the bag and as someone mentioned instead of continuing the arm wrestle by playing field position and kicking to the corners, we instead tried to go around and do ticky little kicks that are low percenatge plays to blow the scoreline out.

I thought Norman showed maturity when he took the line on and realised he needed to just hold the ball rather than a miracle pass or offload, he played well most of the game. However, those field goals from the position he was in and the postion of the game showed how raw he still is. Wallace sholud have called for long kicks and to put to pressure on them in their own 20.

Jack Reed missed some tackles but he played 80min in a more demanding defensive position and still attacked well in my IMO, he wouldn't let you down in SOO, better tha Neilson defensively.

Macca should owe 200 burpies everytime he gets the ball hit out of his hands the tourtise!

Lucky win, IMO.

We had this game in the bag easily, we were cruising. Unfortunately, the boys thought the same & let their guards down mentally, and look what happened.

Toyota Cup team or not, even with all of our top line players out, we shouldn't of been in that position at 24 all. I can accept a Raiders try or 2, but that 15 minute period there was absolutely unacceptable & I agree with Nashy. This feels more like a loss than a win.

But, the 2 points sure come in handy during Origin. I hope Griffin revs them up for the Dragons game on Friday. Our players are backing up, right?

A valuable two points but I hope we don't end up ruing our F&A at the back end of the season. While we didn't have any ball during the last 15 minutes our intensity in defence was non-existent which is what enabled the Raiders to get a roll on.

Still I'm grateful we got the win. For the majority of the game we had it all over them and despite the last 15 minutes I felt we were deserved winners.

Dee said:
Lucky win, IMO.

We had this game in the bag easily, we were cruising. Unfortunately, the boys thought the same & let their guards down mentally, and look what happened.

Toyota Cup team or not, even with all of our top line players out, we shouldn't of been in that position at 24 all. I can accept a Raiders try or 2, but that 15 minute period there was absolutely unacceptable & I agree with Nashy. This feels more like a loss than a win.

But, the 2 points sure come in handy during Origin. I hope Griffin revs them up for the Dragons game on Friday. Our players are backing up, right?
Don't expect Thaiday to back up. I'm 99% sure he won't.

I'm not that disheartened by the capitulation at the end. We'd lost Carlaw early, and had already relied on Jack Reed to play in the backrow due to the injury and Origin toll. Reed was buggered out there with the extra defensive work.

It all fell to bits when Macca came back on to play back row. We had Baptiste, Macca, Wallace and Norman all defending in the line, and while all are reasonable defenders, the Raiders ran their big men at them and that got their roll on. Hard to stop.

Throw in a fair share of luck (both referee and ball bounce) and the Raiders had it all going their way.

The fact the Broncos were good enough to regroup at full time and come out and play 2 extremely good sets to get into position for a field goal was outstanding.

Agree with raps given to Wallace. He was superb. Dave Hala is a revelation IMO. Great impact. Thought the rest of the pack was solid too, Carlaw was showing vintage form before he did his knee (4-6 weeks apparently). Macca was strong, Baptiste was solid. Norman did some good things. Hoffman and Reed were superb.

Can't find much to be negative about to be honest (and I'm the king of negativity around here :P ).

If Coxy can't be negative, noone can.

Awesome effort.

WTF!

We played the fucking RAIDERS! They are dead last. They have a F/A of -101!

I don't care how tired these high paid athletes were, to let the absolute worst team in the competition come back from 24 - 0 in such a short space of time, is completely unacceptable.

Jesus. You're all going on as if we have just played some amazing team, and were able to hold onto the win. A little bit more guts and determination when it was actually needed would have kept Canberra almost scoreless.

Nashy said:
WTF!

We played the **** RAIDERS! They are dead last. They have a F/A of -101!

I don't care how tired these high paid athletes were, to let the absolute worst team in the competition come back from 24 - 0 in such a short space of time, is completely unacceptable.

Jesus. You're all going on as if we have just played some amazing team, and were able to hold onto the win. A little bit more guts and determination when it was actually needed would have kept Canberra almost scoreless.

12 extra players being available would have as well.

Coxy said:
I'm not that disheartened by the capitulation at the end. We'd lost Carlaw early, and had already relied on Jack Reed to play in the backrow due to the injury and Origin toll. Reed was buggered out there with the extra defensive work.

Agreed. There's no need to be upset about anything really, as we got the win and that's all we were after with so many stars out. I was delighted that we were able to stop their roll-on, regroup and win the damn game when we are absolutely out on our feet late in the game.

First of all, Macca was very good except for that one mistake (one per game he's getting his arm knocked). I liked how he didn't overthink anything.

Wallace led us around beautifully. Getting back to his best.

Hoffman was MOTM for mine. His efforts late in the game were especially outstanding. So good to have him back despite Beale filling in well when he was out. IMO when all's said and done we'll be saying that Hoffman is the second best fullback we've ever had at the Broncos (if he isn't already).

Norman's long kicking game was superb. Geez he can launch it off the boot. We've got no problems in the kicking department next year that's for sure. He has a lot of work to do does Norman but he's definately shown signs that he's our 6 next year.

Was really disappointed for Carlaw when he got injured. It happened right in front of me and he looked to be in plenty of pain so was relieved to see him walking at the end of the game (although Coxy then disappointed me when he said out for 4-6 weeks [icon_lol1. ). I've been one of Carlaw's harshest critics over the years but you can't fault his performances for us this season, nor his effort.

And last one I will mention is Alex Glenn. Lead from the front with the early try and talked to the troops the whole game. Great effort in his first game as captain, and I'm sure it won't be his last [icon_wink icon_thumbs_u

I don't understand why we wern't meant to beat the cripples of the 2011 comp?

Am I the only person who tipped the Broncos based on the fact that a bunch of multiple amputees are more than capable enough of beating Canberra at the moment?

You wouldn't have said that at the start of the year. Hell I recall you giving us absolutely so chance in round 2 this year against the same bunch of crippled amputees.

Go back and look at me in all the build up threads. I write the Broncos off every round. When it comes to my tipping, my bias towards the team doesn't come into it.

Call me superstitious. I write them off, other might tickle their ass while thinking of Corey Norman. Each to their own [icon_razz1

Nashy said:
I think they played really well. But to let a team as useless as Canberra come back from 24 - 0, to be 24 all in Golden Point is absolutely not acceptable. I can't believe people seem to be okay with that.

You focus on the crap 15 mins, I focus on the outstanding 65 mins.

Sure the Raiders are rubbish, but the Broncos were missing 5 of the best for origin and another 5-7 injured as i understand it.

How anybody can be unhappy with that is beyond me.

Also, some of you are pointing out the mistakes that were made while leading 24-0. The short grubbers and creative plays were mistakes, instead of just drilling the ball down into the corners and playing percentage footy. Well if those plays had come off you would be saying how brilliantly creative the boys were. Sure I agree they didn't work, but while watching the game I was happy enough with it. It was good to see them try new stuff. They will learn from that when they can and can't do that.

How often do dumb grubbers midfield work?? Try something with a higher success rate not some brain dead grubber. Wallace does it all the time.

It wasn't the small persentage plays that nearly cost us, It was the team failing to defend when one didnt come off. At 24-0 I'm happy for the team to try something new regardless of it working or not as long as they are ready to defend the mistake which last night for 10minutes they didnt.

We defended bad for 10minutes, that was the only fault in the game.

john1420 said:
Nashy said:
I think they played really well. But to let a team as useless as Canberra come back from 24 - 0, to be 24 all in Golden Point is absolutely not acceptable. I can't believe people seem to be okay with that.

You focus on the crap 15 mins, I focus on the outstanding 65 mins.

Sure the Raiders are rubbish, but the Broncos were missing 5 of the best for origin and another 5-7 injured as i understand it.

How anybody can be unhappy with that is beyond me.

Are you fucking kidding me? We were up 24 - 0. That's brilliant. But then we let in 24 points in 9 minutes. That problem far outweighs how good we played leading up to that time.

It doesn't matter how good you are at the start of the match. If you can't continue that, then there is something wrong, and something needs to be done.

I can't believe I'm the only person who thinks that what happened last night is completely unacceptable.

It's almost as if people are happy to let it slide just because it was the "baby Broncos".

Active Now

• Xzei
  • mitch222
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Ondi
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncos4life
  • Santa
  • tajhay
  • Jazza
  • Kev_Guz
  • Socnorb
  • TimWhatley
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Browny
  • Lostboy
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.