Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Captain Grumpy

Captain Grumpy

Jun 19, 2020
They're looking a whole lot better without Seibold at the helm you'd have to admit, energy levels were way up. Darius was very good at FB, one can only wonder how different things might have been had Seibold not gone down the mad professor's experimentation course? Defence through the middle is still an issue, need a Cam Murray or Victor Radley to stiffen things up. Dearden is the future the kids got ticker.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Carrigan's effort last night was all class. Where he found the reserves of energy to be so dynamic for 80 minutes is a mystery, but man he was head and shoulders above the other 33 guys out there.

Boyd's effort on Ravalava although unsuccessful was still gutsy and confused me as sometimes he seems to not want to be there and then other times he really puts in. We need to remind ourselves that this team was missing Haas, Glenn, TPJ, Flegler, Lodge and Turpin in the forwards. That's a fair drain on our playing stocks. Nevertheless, the boys who filled in did have a fair dinkum crack.

Some of the forwards left were running from deep onto the ball which was very noticeable. Te'o, Hoppa and Kennedy all made easy metres when they managed to steam onto the ball. Riki also looks a very handy player and I'd be letting him have more of a run with Staggs and Tommy at the expense of Fifita. Offa (being a senior player) still has not reached the level he was playing at before he re-signed , but there was even some discernible improvement in his efforts last night.

Milf looked to have stepped up his running game in the first half and actually was combining well with Tommy. Pity he succumbed to the hammy that was obviously not properly healed. If he can build on that intent when fully fit he'd be a welcome sight. But I got the sense that the whole team wanted to be out there last night and the common theme was trying to win one for Payne Haas as witnessed by the black armbands that they all wore. They may not have got big Haas a win but i think their efforts would have given him a modicum of solace in what must be a very sad time in his life.

I hope Webcke comes out in public and gives Carrigan the wrap he deserves for last night. He never led the team to victory, but he certainly dragged them singlehandedly out of that dark pit of despair they've been floundering in for the past few months. Lexy should also tell him he's earned the right to keep the 'C' by his name too. It will be a huge ask for him to repeat that effort in a weeks time, but that's what we need from everyone in every game if want to see results go our way.

EFFORT - it was there last night in spades.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
His kicking was shit....he needs to work on that.

Otherwise agreed...he looked very good.
If you are referring to the bombs he was putting up then i have to kind of agree with you.

There were a couple of instances last night when he elected to bomb when the defensive line was actually retreating...a perfect time for him to run IMO.

Also interesting was the fact a lot of times that he did bomb, our outside backs didnt chase with any urgency, as if they werent expecting it, and the defender had time to return the ball with good yardage.

It seems to be the gameplan though but i'd like to see them mix it up a bit more.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
If you are referring to the bombs he was putting up then i have to kind of agree with you.

There were a couple of instances last night when he elected to bomb when the defensive line was actually retreating...a perfect time for him to run IMO.

Also interesting was the fact a lot of times that he did bomb, our outside backs didnt chase with any urgency, as if they werent expecting it, and the defender had time to return the ball with good yardage.

It seems to be the gameplan though but i'd like to see them mix it up a bit more.

It’s funny when you say the backs weren’t expecting the bomb when our main kick for the past 4 seasons is a bomb lol.

E

Eli Suave

NYC Player
May 22, 2018
He kind of is to be honest. The drop from Kennar was his ball to take. Running forward to the ball will always be easier than running back. I’m not saying it’s all his fault, but there is a bit of blood on his hands (and nose)
I took into account his try assist and his head first tackle into Rav4.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
I wonder when the regret will start to kick in for that ridiculous over payment for Fifita will set in? If the defence don’t give him space he’s just like everyone else He’s a 700-800k player and he’s still human.

@Wolfie im really seeing the Staggs to back row as you have alluded to before.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
The after game thread has a completely different tone from previous weeks. There's only the odd tosser not a lot happier. I'm looking forward to re-watching the first 20 odd minutes to see what all the Kennedy hysteria was about. I do remember him being left stranded on the tryline and a tackle miss but I saw the same thing from Haas several times this year so it's hardly massive.

His stats look okay too. 140 metres from just 39 minutes and just a single missed tackle.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
The after game thread has a completely different tone from previous weeks. There's only the odd tosser not a lot happier. I'm looking forward to re-watching the first 20 odd minutes to see what all the Kennedy hysteria was about. I do remember him being left stranded on the tryline and a tackle miss but I saw the same thing from Haas several times this year so it's hardly massive.

His stats look okay too. 140 metres from just 39 minutes and just a single missed tackle.
I thought he came back well. His first 10 minutes were bog average but he lifted with the side which is a good sign. I think he goes alright. He is one of our few forwards that actually know how to hit the advantage line at pace.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Yeah I’m with you, I thought he was good, especially that excellent second stint. I like the guy. He isn’t the best prop on the planet but I wouldn’t be adverse to him making the bench even at full strength, he got something to offer.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Has he? I did not know that. Maybe he will reluctantly agree and have his arm twisted. He did coach in the Super League and was an assistant at many clubs in the NRL, so I'm not sure about the comment on experience. Especially in relation to Seibold...

Can't find it now, but I think I read it somewhere. Maybe the Courier.

Fair point on his experience - in fact he might just edge out Kevvie in that regard, if you don't take into account Origin, but I would and that's far better prep for the Broncos top job than a couple of years in the Super League and floating around as an assistant. Kevvie also has the benefit of being a club legend - we already saw what bringing in a rookie-ish outsider head coach led to. Besides Kevvie, there's Green, and Gentle's experience really doesn't match up there at all.

I just think it's a bit premature to be calling for the guy to take over on the basis of a couple of weeks where the team didn't even win (granted they showed improvement this week, but last week was more of what had come before) and Seibold was still involved in running things to an extent remotely.

Last edited:
Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Yeah I’m with you, I thought he was good, especially that excellent second stint. I like the guy. He isn’t the best prop on the planet but I wouldn’t be adverse to him making the bench even at full strength, he got something to offer.
He's the sort of player that would excel at Melbourne. He is no frills, is cheap but puts in.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Well, I wanted Haas to not be used as a battering ram from the outset and have stated this quite a few times. I did want to see the less talented Kennedy start a game and last night I got my wish and was satisfied with the performance. My idea is to bring Haas into the game around the 17-22 minute mark and use his big motor for a shorter more dynamic hit out. Using Kennedy and Offa/Flegler to start would be my way of getting the best out of all my gorillas.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019

He ran at 100% and he definitely got isolated on the try line, not his fault, also a lazy high shot but apart from that he’s a serviceable front row.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014

similar numbers from the bench are what got Offa his current overpaid contract.

All we ask of these peripheral middle forwards is consistency of performance; if you can produce numbers like these 7 out of 10 games you play, in my eyes you are earning your contract.

From a performance v money aspect; all things being equal id keep Rhys and offload Offa. However neither have demonstrated the required consistency yet so its all a moot point..

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

Personally i dont think he goes too bad, it just seems to be that he isnt fit enough.

He gets caught flatfooted quite a lot.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BroncoFan94
  • BroncosAlways
  • jd87
  • Skathen
  • Santa
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • Footy Fanatic
  • kwomo
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Old Mate
  • Manofoneway
  • Shane Tronc
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.