Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
One thing that stood out like a sore toe to me last night was how easily Fifita was contained.
Clubs know he is a threat and respond accordingly, virtually neutralizing his game.

The guy is a gun no doubt, but its games like this that show he is not a 1.25 million dollar buy.
If it wasnt for the disgusting amount of money he is earning, i would almost feel sorry for the immense pressure his career will be under at the Titans.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
This was our most encouraging performance since the resumption, even more so than the bulldogs game.
Few things:

Coach: It’s hard to tell how much head coaching Gentle has been doing and how much has been Seibs remotely, but the energy around the team looks much improved since Gentle has been filling in. I think you can tell from the press conference that he’s been a breath of fresh air. It’s clear he has genuine care for his players. I’m sure that’s true for Seibold also but he’s not as good at expressing it, which is really key for man management.

Carrigan: This was a real breakout game for Patty leader-wise. He got through an insane amount of work out there. You could see he put the other young blokes on his back and said follow me. Whenever we got to a dead end in attack he was the one there to take the ball up and straighten the play. I’m excited to see what he can do next year once we’ve gotten rid of some of the players who are dividing the group.
For mine, our absolute MUST keeps going forward are Carrigan, Dearden, Paix and Herbie. They will be the heart and soul of this team.

I reckon your point about the coaching is spot on. Next week will tell a lot about our coaching, and its future. As for your other point, absolutely.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
This was our most encouraging performance since the resumption, even more so than the bulldogs game.
Few things:

Coach: It’s hard to tell how much head coaching Gentle has been doing and how much has been Seibs remotely, but the energy around the team looks much improved since Gentle has been filling in. I think you can tell from the press conference that he’s been a breath of fresh air. It’s clear he has genuine care for his players. I’m sure that’s true for Seibold also but he’s not as good at expressing it, which is really key for man management.

Carrigan: This was a real breakout game for Patty leader-wise. He got through an insane amount of work out there. You could see he put the other young blokes on his back and said follow me. Whenever we got to a dead end in attack he was the one there to take the ball up and straighten the play. I’m excited to see what he can do next year once we’ve gotten rid of some of the players who are dividing the group.
For mine, our absolute MUST keeps going forward are Carrigan, Dearden, Paix and Herbie. They will be the heart and soul of this team.
And Haas, cant forget big Payne, he is another guy alongside the lads you mentioned that i would love to see be lifelong Broncos.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
One thing that stood out like a sore toe to me last night was how easily Fifita was contained.
Clubs know he is a threat and respond accordingly, virtually neutralizing his game.

The guy is a gun no doubt, but its games like this that show he is not a 1.25 million dollar buy.
If it wasnt for the disgusting amount of money he is earning, i would almost feel sorry for the immense pressure his career will be under at the Titans.

On the other hand, if a coach works out some shapes which make use of his power running then his worth will be obvious. I'm looking forward to see if he stays on our right edge and if so, whether Paix and Dearden create better opportunities for him, and with Staggs in support.

Last edited:
J

JungleBoogie

NYC Player
Jun 27, 2020
I felt our forwards had there best game of the year - post covid break.

There was actual momentum and sets were rolling. The front rowers did a good job albeit there were similar issues in defence which I think stems from coaching. We just don't do what every other teams does from the outset of games and also don't wrestle enough.

There wasn't many broken tackles from those other than Fifita and Carrigan but the rest ran hard, fast and more importantly got to the play the ball quickly.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016

There was actual momentum and sets were rolling. The front rowers did a good job albeit there were similar issues in defence which I think stems from coaching. We just don't do what every other teams does from the outset of games and also don't wrestle enough.

There wasn't many broken tackles from those other than Fifita and Carrigan but the rest ran hard, fast and more importantly got to the play the ball quickly.

We get pinged so much more when we try to wrestle. We play super scared of conceding 6 agains and end up condeding 60 M a set.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Thank you Tom Dearden and Cory Paix

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Its also up to the forwards playing - to start the run on time, hit it at advantage, hit the stomach and have speed in the play the ball.

Interesting to see what Hoppa can do when he BOTH takes the bit between his teeth and ... thank you Tom and Cory for helping. The energy they both bring can't be underestimated.

Last edited:
E

Eli Suave

NYC Player
May 22, 2018

If he can get his flick pass to go and work well with his centres the defence won’t know what to do with him. Is he worth that money? Not sure but are we losing a key asset xfactor? You bet

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I think he strikes them quite nicely. Just needs to harness his kicking game so it becomes more of a threat.

This has been an issue since ISC, I noticed it when he was at Wynnum 18 months ago. Not sure if it's lack of confidence or not sure what kick fits the situation.

He would barely kick for Wynnum just left it alone.

When he does kick he kicks well, just put in a beautiful kick tonight for touch. Kicked a 50m penalty goal two weeks ago.

Doesn't kick enough.

Scarlett 74 kicks
Dearden 16

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
That's the type of performance Carrigan was dishing out week after week in the 2017 NYC season. Similarly it was right after Haas went down and Carrigan went above and beyond to carry the team. I said at the start of the year, I'd pick him at 13 for the season and wouldn't look back and he's repaid the faith ten fold.

Dearden just keeps getting better. What I like about his game is that he constantly challenges the defence and doesn't get deterred by the scoreboard. He has all the skills and I'm excited to track his progress.

I'd like to see Paix find his voice more. I thought he had a golden opportunity towards the end of the game to try something but he didn't put himself in the right position and Darius found himself in a spot where he just had to kick it. Still, he has some good qualities and I think he can develop into a class player if he's afforded time to develop at his own pace.

It was also nice to see Bullemor spend some quality time in the middle. I thought that was his best performance of the season and he showed he can make a positive contribution. Also did tremendously well to keep pace with Staggs, I reckon it's only a matter of time before we see him rewarded for his support play.

I found the game frustrating. The opening 10 minutes really soured me on the entire contest and every time the Broncos put themselves in a position to win the contest they'd invariably hand it straight over.

There's some good energy coming out of this performance, hopefully the boys use it wisely going forward.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Few things:

For mine carrigan must be in the Qld origin side. He's been that good!

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That's the type of performance Carrigan was dishing out week after week in the 2017 NYC season. Similarly it was right after Haas went down and Carrigan went above and beyond to carry the team. I said at the start of the year, I'd pick him at 13 for the season and wouldn't look back and he's repaid the faith ten fold.

Dearden just keeps getting better. What I like about his game is that he constantly challenges the defence and doesn't get deterred by the scoreboard. He has all the skills and I'm excited to track his progress.

I'd like to see Paix find his voice more. I thought he had a golden opportunity towards the end of the game to try something but he didn't put himself in the right position and Darius found himself in a spot where he just had to kick it. Still, he has some good qualities and I think he can develop into a class player if he's afforded time to develop at his own pace.

It was also nice to see Bullemor spend some quality time in the middle. I thought that was his best performance of the season and he showed he can make a positive contribution. Also did tremendously well to keep pace with Staggs, I reckon it's only a matter of time before we see him rewarded for his support play.

I found the game frustrating. The opening 10 minutes really soured me on the entire contest and every time the Broncos put themselves in a position to win the contest they'd invariably hand it straight over.

There's some good energy coming out of this performance, hopefully the boys use it wisely going forward.

What I also liked about Staggs's try was that there were 4 or 5 Broncos running in support right to the line, including Dearden.

I am looking forward to see how Dearden goes next week especially if Sam Walker plays. Your point about Dearden constantly challenging the defence, and never giving up, is so spot on. He is always a threat with his speed off the mark and deceptive step and dummy.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

A clever coach will know how to use that to the teams advantage. While they're trying to get three,four and five guys on him they're dragging defenders across. It isn't easy as you say to neutralise TPj or Fifta, Haas etc, it takes multiple defenders to do so. One thing I've learned over the years is to not make declarative statements of absolute certainty. Better to wait and see how the Titans use him and if you're right everyone will hail your mighty skills but if you're wrong?

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

It's strange to see you say this when all and sundry were claiming Kennedy and Offa were terrible. Well, not all.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
What I also liked about Staggs's try was that there were 4 or 5 Broncos running in support right to the line, including Dearden.

I am looking forward to see how Dearden goes next week especially if Sam Walker plays. Your point about Dearden constantly challenging the defence, and never giving up, is so spot on. He is always a threat with his speed off the mark and deceptive step and dummy.

what I like about Dearden as well is that though he is always challenging the defence, he’s not looking for a miracle every play. It reminds me a lot of Lockyer and Thurston, they’re always trying something but if it’s not on they’re happy to just go short, give some early ball or take the tackle.
Someone like Moses is guilty of forcing a lot of balls because he’s expecting a result from every play. Whereas a Dearden or a Cleary will do things early that set up for opportunities later in the game - e.g Dearden going short to Fifita early which then gave him space to score his own try later in the game or Cleary going short for Yeo and then drifting across field later in the game and breaking through the line. It’s a really encouraging sign of maturity for a half.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Stix
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Skyblues87
  • Alec
  • Smokin' Joe
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Justwin
  • Nerd
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • Accept
  • Old Mate
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.