Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
A clever coach will know how to use that to the teams advantage. While they're trying to get three,four and five guys on him they're dragging defenders across. It isn't easy as you say to neutralise TPj or Fifta, Haas etc, it takes multiple defenders to do so. One thing I've learned over the years is to not make declarative statements of absolute certainty. Better to wait and see how the Titans use him and if you're right everyone will hail your mighty skills but if you're wrong?
Dont really care too much if im right or wrong, just an observation of last nights game.
Regardless, i dont think he is worth the price Titans have forked out for him.

He was effectively shut down for most of the game, with only one or two runs from memory that had any sort of impact at all.
And you are correct, a clever coach will use him wisely, however, the opposition coach, if he is clever as well, will sit his players down and show them last nights game as an example of how to neutralize a 1.25 million dollar player.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Dont really care too much if im right or wrong, just an observation of last nights game.

He was effectively shut down for most of the game, with only one or two runs from memory that had any sort of impact at all.
And you are correct, a clever coach will use him wisely, however, the opposition coach, if he is clever as well, will sit his players down and show them last nights game as an example of how to neutralize a 1.25 million dollar player.
You miss the point entirely. While they use bulk troops to neutralise him the OTHER attacking players in your team have a much easier task and way more opportunities. Sure, neutralise the Fifita impact but a clever coach will see plenty of opportunity to use that to advantage. That's the point. Fifita draws the flies and the other delights remain unspoiled.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

In which case, Fifita needs to develop an offload to Staggs who the Titans don't have and, who they have whoever it is or might be, isn't a patch on what we have. In any case, I am hoping that either Bullemor, or Riki maybe, will more than compensate for Fifita's departure, with again, the focus being on the edge shape rather than just a single player making all the difference. I reckon the Titans are in for a rude shock if they think Fifita is single handedly going to get them a premiership.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
In which case, Fifita needs to develop an offload to Staggs who the Titans don't have and, who they have whoever it is or might be, isn't a patch on what we have. In any case, I am hoping that either Bullemor, or Riki maybe, will more than compensate for Fifita's departure, with again, the focus being on the edge shape rather than just a single player making all the difference. I reckon the Titans are in for a rude shock if they think Fifita is single handedly going to get them a premiership.
I believe you don't understand how valuable a very heavily marked player is. I have absolutely no doubt Holbrook knows exactly how to use it to his advantage and I'd bet next years wages that he doesn't expect a single player to deliver a premiership (or even finals football)

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Can't find it now, but I think I read it somewhere. Maybe the Courier.

Fair point on his experience - in fact he might just edge out Kevvie in that regard, if you don't take into account Origin, but I would and that's far better prep for the Broncos top job than a couple of years in the Super League and floating around as an assistant. Kevvie also has the benefit of being a club legend - we already saw what bringing in a rookie-ish outsider head coach led to. Besides Kevvie, there's Green, and Gentle's experience really doesn't match up there at all.

I just think it's a bit premature to be calling for the guy to take over on the basis of a couple of weeks where the team didn't even win (granted they showed improvement this week, but last week was more of what had come before) and Seibold was still involved in running things to an extent remotely.
I didn't say I wanted him as coach, only that I found him impressive during the post-match interview and that he seemed to me to be using his current opportunity as a job interview. I really enjoyed the way he handled the presser and it made me feel very positive about the Broncos again. I think Kevvie would also do that. Green not so much.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I didn't say I wanted him as coach, only that I found him impressive during the post-match interview and that he seemed to me to be using his current opportunity as a job interview. I really enjoyed the way he handled the presser and it made me feel very positive about the Broncos again. I think Kevvie would also do that. Green not so much.

Green would be an upgrade on Seibold but he definitely wouldn't be my choice either. I honestly can't see an better option than Kevvie, which I fear means we will get someone else...

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Gentle's style is a persuasive argument for quality coaching. As I posted elsewhere, seeing the Seibold Effect this week on our performance v Rorters will say a lot about our future.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
You miss the point entirely. While they use bulk troops to neutralise him the OTHER attacking players in your team have a much easier task and way more opportunities. Sure, neutralise the Fifita impact but a clever coach will see plenty of opportunity to use that to advantage. That's the point. Fifita draws the flies and the other delights remain unspoiled.
This point go's both ways.
A clever coach for the opposition will see what Fifita is capable of, know his role in the opposing team and adjust accordingly, just like last night.
There is no argument here, just coaching and counter coaching, which applies to every player, be it Tedesco, or Smith, and now Fifita.
You target the opposite team strengths, and neutralize, and minimize the effect they have on your teams plan.

In any case, you are arguing he is worth the 1.25 million, when i think he is not.
Someone like Smith is far harder to counter than a battering ram with a good offload.

My original point was he is not worth the 1.25 million, as last night shows.
I dont think he had a hand in anything pivotal last night, and a dozen other players could have done his job on far less money.
Is he a great asset, for sure, is he worth the money Titans have thrown at him? nahhhhhh.

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I think he strikes them quite nicely. Just needs to harness his kicking game so it becomes more of a threat.

He has a nice action and strikes it pretty nice but I haven’t really seen him find the grass with any of his kicks.

J

JungleBoogie

NYC Player
Jun 27, 2020
It's strange to see you say this when all and sundry were claiming Kennedy and Offa were terrible. Well, not all.
Defensively we were poor but it seems an overall coaching issue as it is across the board.

We actually got down the other end of the field in attack and I would be surprised if it wasn't one of our better overall metres games.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Anyone else notice they are still using the fake crowd noises? Even though there’s a crowd now. Really shits me off they are going full steam ahead with manipulating the audience. Get rid of it ffs.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
You mean 'Its not how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward' - Rocky. This motivation jargon like forging, hardening, lifting don't mean anything in a real world sense. Losing repeatedly does not harden you into a future champion like a fictional underdog story. When you're on the bottom, there's no guarantee you'll be a top 4 team anytime soon unless some big changes occur.
Except a major complaint of this team was them having a sense of entitlement despite achieving exactly jack shit.

League is 90% mental and their mentality was "we're top shit... if we just turn up we'll win... where the pokies at"

These losses will make them realise this isn't U16's anymore so they can't just catch it and run over the smaller guy in front of them. They actually have to turn up with the right attitude and focus on their execution.

The losses could steel them and make them realise every game in the NRL requires 100% commitment to win.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I wonder when the regret will start to kick in for that ridiculous over payment for Fifita will set in? If the defence don’t give him space he’s just like everyone else He’s a 700-800k player and he’s still human.

@Wolfie im really seeing the Staggs to back row as you have alluded to before.
I like the idea of Staggs to the back row... he could be very dangerous out there.

His profile has him as 92kg so probably undersized, but our second row stocks are sooo short, and in the future Coates will be looking for a spot in the centers.

I think center next year with Coates right wing again and see how he fills out... he's still only 21.

He's also an absolute weapon in the centers and gives the opposition center nightmares... we don't want to blunt that if he's having to make tackles and compete with +100kg backrowers.

Next year I've got Glenn and Oates in the backrow with Piakura getting minutes off the bench and playing ISC.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
This point go's both ways.
A clever coach for the opposition will see what Fifita is capable of, know his role in the opposing team and adjust accordingly, just like last night.
There is no argument here, just coaching and counter coaching, which applies to every player, be it Tedesco, or Smith, and now Fifita.
You target the opposite team strengths, and neutralize, and minimize the effect they have on your teams plan.

In any case, you are arguing he is worth the 1.25 million, when i think he is not.
Someone like Smith is far harder to counter than a battering ram with a good offload.

My original point was he is not worth the 1.25 million, as last night shows.
I dont think he had a hand in anything pivotal last night, and a dozen other players could have done his job on far less money.
Is he a great asset, for sure, is he worth the money Titans have thrown at him? nahhhhhh.
No, I most certainly am not arguing he's worth the 1.25m. However did you get to that? I cannot possibly know if he's worth it...to the Titans. That's entirely for them to decide. Would I have paid that for him? Irrelevant. As for last night he was a 625k player, not a 1.25m player.

I think the Titans paid him 450k over market value, I see him at 800k. So when you think about the overpayment it's in reality 450k. Yes, it's a big chunk of change but consider what it potentially buys. To the Titans it might be money well spent if other up and comers decide they'll take a bit less to play alongside him or even come to the club just for a chance to one day play next to him. They may even think he's marketable and again, perhaps money well spent.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
No, I most certainly am not arguing he's worth the 1.25m. However did you get to that? I cannot possibly know if he's worth it...to the Titans. That's entirely for them to decide. Would I have paid that for him? Irrelevant. As for last night he was a 625k player, not a 1.25m player.

I think the Titans paid him 450k over market value, I see him at 800k. So when you think about the overpayment it's in reality 450k. Yes, it's a big chunk of change but consider what it potentially buys. To the Titans it might be money well spent if other up and comers decide they'll take a bit less to play alongside him or even come to the club just for a chance to one day play next to him. They may even think he's marketable and again, perhaps money well spent.
It’s worth getting paid less to play with him so you don’t have to try and tackle him two games a year

Last edited:
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

The thing is their spine players apart from A.taylor are on peanuts, so if they need upgrades they will struggle to keep them.
I really think he is worth $600k at most, it's his second season and he really isn't a ponga potential type player imo

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Brotherdu
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Galah
  • broncos4life
  • Ronald
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Scdeac
  • Lostboy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.