# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Bullemor, Riki?

With our injuries, I am looking forward to seeing more game time from them, see what they can do, how they develop. I am not so sure our back row stocks are low. As for Staggs, as you rightly say, he is an absolute weapon in the centres provided good coaching improves his defensive reads. His ability to shred an edge defence means our attack out there is a gold mine, especially with Dearden always looking for opportunities. For mine, he is perfect in the centres and exactly what we need, and we should resist weakening one position to possibly strengthen another when we already have a heap of talent for the back row. The only alternative position I'd like to see Staggs try is FB if Bird fails to recover or moves elsewhere.

My same argument extends to Coates. Why not develop him as an absolute top flight winger and just keep him there, especially outside Staggs. I like the potential of an edge comprising Bullemor, Staggs and Coates, with Dearden working with them.
Sorry missed your other points in my first post which I pretty much agree with anyway 👍

I wouldn't really be looking to move Staggs... he's a weapon at center and is absolutely carving the opposition, we just need his defence to be sorted out and he could be the best center in the game... I just feel Coates sees himself as a center, and they're both suited to the right side of the field... so moving Staggs to right edge could be just as devastating.

I agree with you that Coates would be a great winger and I think he should actually bide his time on the wing for the next few years. But we all know the NSWRL will come in and tell us that "he's a center" and "team X is offering him the center position" (same as they did with Oates)... so pressure may come to get them both into center.

To me wingers are worth their weight in gold and Coates has a legitimate chance to become a very very good winger... similar to Folau being a very good winger or center. He actually reminds me more of Folau than GI.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Sorry missed your other points in my first post which I pretty much agree with anyway 👍

I wouldn't really be looking to move Staggs... he's a weapon at center and is absolutely carving the opposition, we just need his defence to be sorted out and he could be the best center in the game... I just feel Coates sees himself as a center, and they're both suited to the right side of the field... so moving Staggs to right edge could be just as devastating.

I agree with you that Coates would be a great winger and I think he should actually bide his time on the wing for the next few years. But we all know the NSWRL will come in and tell us that "he's a center" and "team X is offering him the center position" (same as they did with Oates)... so pressure may come to get them both into center.

To me wingers are worth their weight in gold and Coates has a legitimate chance to become a very very good winger... similar to Folau being a very good winger or center. He actually reminds me more of Folau than GI.

Which now leads me to our other young star, Farnworth. What a mover. I'd like to see how he goes at FB again if Bird goes.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Agree of course. Oates is a solid backrower for the reasons you say. The good thing is we have a wealth of options. What I like about Bullemor is his sheer pace. For mine, if ever there is an argument for an edge forward it is him, ultimately, an ideal replacement for Fifita. As I said elsewhere, the positives in the negatives of our injuries is that players like Bullemor, Piakura and Riki will get more game time to develop. I don't think it is so much as "shoehorning" players but rather seeing exactly where they play their best.
I think losing Fifita is big, but losing TPJ not so much.

There's no doubt that TPJ is talented, but he's costing us a lot of money and to me his best position is prop, but we have Lodge, Haas and Carrigan in the middle with Flegler, Kennedy, Offa, Riki and Bull available i.e. TPJ's best position is actually stacked with depth. So if he moves on I think it actually helps us out as Riki and Bull are highly rated plus a spot opens up for Flegler.

From the short stints I have seen of Bull and Riki, and also Flegler (although we have a larger sample size), I think they are more well-rounded players compared to TPJ... they're not as good at this stage, but they are solid on both sides of the ball and don't look like liabilities on the field. Whereas TPJ has massive shortcomings on the defensive side of the ball and has been blackballed by NSWRL with the match review committee.

I think we are along the same lines with Bull, Riki and Piakura.. I just want them playing mostly ISC next year to learn their trade and we can figure out their best positions from there.

Glenn is likely retired end of next year and Oates is absolutely not guaranteed to be our mainstay second rower moving forward, but could be the backrow/utility on the bench in 2022 before his contract is reassessed.

I just think Oates is more NRL ready as an edge forward if we're looking at next year and it gives us a chance to see if he has what it takes to make is as an edge forward, whilst the other young guys are getting minutes in reserve grade.

Last edited:
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Which now leads me to our other young star, Farnworth. What a mover. I'd like to see how he goes at FB again if Bird goes.
Don't worry about Herbie... I absolutely love him. Hope to god that he stays on the wing for the rest of the year!!

I have seen that you like him as a fullback and I think he would be a bit like CNK as a fullback... all effort, supporting everything through the middle, he has huge stamina and talented enough as a footballer to finish off backline movements.

Could be a very handy player as a fullback and would also allow us to keep his hitups to get us out of our own end 👍

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Now I understand what went down in the first 22 minutes of the match and why there was such negativity towards Kennedy. I watched a replay but this time it was different. This time I had the sound turned on UNLIKE the first time. That's when it dawned on me why the negativity was rampant.

Why would the sound make a difference? Simple. I heard the commentators and in particular the numpty with Daley. He told you what to think. He got you all to believe something you hadn't seen. Kennedy wasn't ordinary, no sir. He was actually very good. You all got it wrong. You were told what to think and like a chocolate eclair in front of a fat glutton you swallowed it whole.

I challenge anyone on here to watch Kennedy in that first stint, this time with no sound. I know most won't because admitting to error and acknowledging Huge is right is so repugnant you won't take the risk. Nah, you'll just say he was shit. The only guys on this forum who have that in them are @lynx000 and @rnabokov.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Now I understand what went down in the first 22 minutes of the match and why there was such negativity towards Kennedy. I watched a replay but this time it was different. This time I had the sound turned on UNLIKE the first time. That's when it dawned on me why the negativity was rampant.

Why would the sound make a difference? Simple. I heard the commentators and in particular the numpty with Daley. He told you what to think. He got you all to believe something you hadn't seen. Kennedy wasn't ordinary, no sir. He was actually very good. You all got it wrong. You were told what to think and like a chocolate eclair in front of a fat glutton you swallowed it whole.

I challenge anyone on here to watch Kennedy in that first stint, this time with no sound. I know most won't because admitting to error and acknowledging Huge is right is so repugnant you won't take the risk. Nah, you'll just say he was shit. The only guys on this forum who have that in them are @lynx000 and @rnabokov.
He was shit. You were wrong.

Am i doing it right?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think losing Fifita is big, but losing TPJ not so much.

There's no doubt that TPJ is talented, but he's costing us a lot of money and to me his best position is prop, but we have Lodge, Haas and Carrigan in the middle with Flegler, Kennedy, Offa, Riki and Bull available i.e. TPJ's best position is actually stacked with depth. So if he moves on I think it actually helps us out as Riki and Bull are highly rated plus a spot opens up for Flegler.

From the short stints I have seen of Bull and Riki, and also Flegler (although we have a larger sample size), I think they are more well-rounded players compared to TPJ... they're not as good at this stage, but they are solid on both sides of the ball and don't look like liabilities on the field. Whereas TPJ has massive shortcomings on the defensive side of the ball and has been blackballed by NSWRL with the match review committee.

I think we are along the same lines with Bull, Riki and Piakura.. I just want them playing mostly ISC next year to learn their trade and we can figure out their best positions from there.

Glenn is likely retired end of next year and Oates is absolutely not guaranteed to be our mainstay second rower moving forward, but could be the backrow/utility on the bench in 2022 before his contract is reassessed.

I just think Oates is more NRL ready as an edge forward if we're looking at next year and it gives us a chance to see if he has what it takes to make is as an edge forward, whilst the other young guys are getting minutes in reserve grade.

Again, agree with your post.

I am torn over TPJ. Same as I was about Dave Taylor. As you so perfectly put it elsewhere, NRL is 90% mental and that so far puts TPJ way off the pace. It's a real pity. His power, aggression and offloading skills make him the ideal prop on paper - not back rower for mine. He also has experience. What a fucking waste.

As for ISC, will we have one next year with COVID still so uncertain in its trajectory? That in itself sharpens the focus on how young stars are going to develop, which for mine is a good argument for giving players like Bull and Riki as much game time as possible in 1st grade, especially since our shitty season is really, in effect, a pre-season for next year.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008

I will have to go back and watch the first 20 again (I was not watching 9 so no Daley influence for me), but I thought his second stint was really good.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
@Huge also agree with you that he is not even in the prime age bracket for a prop yet. Same story, you cannot have superstars in every position in the roster, you need that balance of a journeyman player that will do his job, Kennedy strikes me as being that type of player. For his cost, definitely worth persevering with.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Again, agree with your post.

I am torn over TPJ. Same as I was about Dave Taylor. As you so perfectly put it elsewhere, NRL is 90% mental and that so far puts TPJ way off the pace. It's a real pity. His power, aggression and offloading skills make him the ideal prop on paper - not back rower for mine. He also has experience. What a fucking waste.

As for ISC, will we have one next year with COVID still so uncertain in its trajectory? That in itself sharpens the focus on how young stars are going to develop, which for mine is a good argument for giving players like Bull and Riki as much game time as possible in 1st grade, especially since our shitty season is really, in effect, a pre-season for next year.
I think reserve grade will be back in some form next year... actually a joke that scrimmage matches between NRL teams hasn't been undertaken more than the broncos vs titans earlier in the year. I think QRL and NSWRL were just caught out with Covid also noting that a lot of their players are part-timers and have jobs other than NRL so putting them in a bubble wasn't an option.

Given community sport is back I think reserve grade will be as well... although I don't know how the states or clubs will pay for it.

The NRL should be tipping in money to make sure it goes ahead, because their competition needs it more than the QRL or NSWRL need to be playing

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Don't worry about Herbie... I absolutely love him. Hope to god that he stays on the wing for the rest of the year!!

I have seen that you like him as a fullback and I think he would be a bit like CNK as a fullback... all effort, supporting everything through the middle, he has huge stamina and talented enough as a footballer to finish off backline movements.

Could be a very handy player as a fullback and would also allow us to keep his hitups to get us out of our own end 👍

At the risk of going overboard, I find Herbie the complete footballer, possibly the most talented player on our books, and he loves being a Bronco. I just love watching him play, and what I am really interested in is to see if he has a passing game. I would assume with his soccer background, which no doubt taught him how to move as well as he does, that he should be able to kick and kick really well. This side really is full of such amazing talent. We are really fortunate. All we need now is a good ...... (fill in the blanks)

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012

We are indeed chocolate eclairs.

But yea, I often see here and on Reddit the opinions of the commentators being regurgitated.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
At the risk of going overboard, I find Herbie the complete footballer, possibly the most talented player on our books, and he loves being a Bronco. I just love watching him play, and what I am really interested in is to see if he has a passing game. I would assume with his soccer background, which no doubt taught him how to move as well as he does, that he should be able to kick and kick really well. This side really is full of such amazing talent. We are really fortunate. All we need now is a good ...... (fill in the blanks)
If he has a passing game then he could potentially be a complete footballer... although you would need to see how he goes defusing kicks (he seems very good under the high ball on the wing) and also see that he follows through his support play and general workrate when moved to fullback, which I think is very likely. Pretty sure he came 1st or 2nd in the preseason time trials so the extra workload at fullback shouldn't be an issue

I like the look of the young guys coming through more than I do of those that came through from the 08 generation.

Guys like Beale, Copley, Dunamis, Norman, etc. were highly rated and just didn't kick on. I don't really recall being that impressed with Copley, Beale or Dunamis when they hit first grade... unlike Carrigan, Herbie, Haas, Fifita, Flegler, Staggs, etc. who, whilst having flaws (mainly defensive), look reasonably comfortable being in first grade.

They just seem like smarter more well rounded footy players coming through this time around and just need some decent senior players to help them out.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
@Huge also agree with you that he is not even in the prime age bracket for a prop yet. Same story, you cannot have superstars in every position in the roster, you need that balance of a journeyman player that will do his job, Kennedy strikes me as being that type of player. For his cost, definitely worth persevering with.
I agree that he's not a superstar and most likely will end up being a middle of the road type prop. I just reject the snap judgement mentality, the instant gratification mindset. The first two tries had very little to do with him, yes he couldn't stop the try being scored but it was so much on Offa it's not funny. He actually stopped his man almost dead but it wasn't quite enough.

Had Offa made a better effort they almost certainly prevent a try. The second was almost entirely a Te'o missed tackle. Later in that stint Kennedy steps in to first receiver and forces the inside defenders to stay on him which ultimately creates the overlap resulting in our first try. Had he not done so no overlap is created. He really was very solid in his first stint too. Even the offload wasn't a bad thing, it was creative. He tackled well and I didn't see him miss a tackle in his first stint.

Considering he only played 39 minutes he still made 140 metres with just one missed tackle. I'd take both his stints all day every day.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
We are indeed chocolate eclairs.

But yea, I often see here and on Reddit the opinions of the commentators being regurgitated.
I often see them too. Even my closest friend parrots Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones and genuinely thinks they're his thoughts, completely oblivious to the fact he is virtually quoting them verbatim. I often read it here. Do I think I'm immune to influence, **** no and I'll happily steal a well crafted phrase.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
I often see them too. Even my closest friend parrots Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones and genuinely thinks they're his thoughts, completely oblivious to the fact he is virtually quoting them verbatim. I often read it here. Do I think I'm immune to influence, **** no and I'll happily steal a well crafted phrase.
Yeah, possibly not a new affliction, but still a worrying one.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Fifita was pretty much ineffectual last night. In fact at times he stifled Staggs attacking flair and never looked like scoring a try nevermind winning a game for us. Sure, he's still not 100%

**** off with your over generalisation it's becoming tiresome. I'm beginning to understand why so many have you blocked.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • teampjta
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Galah
  • Bish
  • Midean
  • jd87
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.