Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Oates is just a monster. I would pick him for Qld now. It's time Bennett started him more often imo.

Great win , Very Gutsy.It certainly demonstrates we are destined for the top four and deserve to be there.

However I think an analysis has to be done on how Melbourne were able to force 12 goal line drop outs. We simply can not sustain that defensive effort week in week out.Could we up our line speed 10 to 20 %? More pressure on the kicker on the 5th tackle? Discipline was excellent , but could it have been better?

I have been a Reed knocker for two seasons , but has been great the last few games in attack and defense. Milford is turning out to be everything we hoped Barba would be. Milford and Hunt should both come in to Origin consideration. Boyd played with real confidence tonight and looked dangerous. Hunt , Milford , Hodges, Boyd., Oates , Vidot , Maranta, Reed, Kahu,WE got ourselves a backline!

Last edited:
To add to my earlier post bragging about how great this win was I would like to add that we had to come from 12-8 behind at Melbourne where the Storm have a very impressive record and almost never lose after leading at halftime.

For the stats gurus. [MENTION=8536]Super Freak[/MENTION]; what is the Storms winning percentage after leading at halftime?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just......I have no words. That was epic in every sense of the word. Any other team in the comp playing EITHER Storm or us today gets beaten. That was worthy of a GF. Simply epic, both teams can hold their heads high. Fucking insane!!!

Refs need a stiff uppercut. They missed one of our high tackles. They missed EVERY ONE of the Storms. I counted at least 6. I hate harping on about the refs but it was blatant again today, just like Wednesday was. Fucking hell, NRL. FIX IT.

And to finish on another high note - fucking epically insanely outstanding win!!! One of the best games I've ever watched as far as entertainment and defence, period. I was standing for 65 of the 80 minutes haha.. Brilliant, lads, simply brilliant.

And if we had Hodges he probably sets up a try too, so we're even.

But that's not what I'm talking about. ~12 grubbers into our in goal area is not great and I'm massively proud of the way we stood up the opposition but Billy has some amazing timing for those kind of plays.

Is there a part of the game you can point ot that you think Hodges would have done better than Kahu?

Amazing win. we deserved to win that game. Super effort from everyone. With the amount of ball we had its almost unbelievable. The only things we could have done better was our kick options, and putting more pressure on the kicker inside our 10, i think we could have saved a few line drop outs by doing that.

It was such a stressful game to watch drop out after drop out. But the boys held in there and denied the storm time after time.

The whole team played so well i cant wait for next week.

Andrew McCullough made 70 tackles - wow!

That's unbelievable. Surely that's a Broncos record in a game...?

i think Andrew Gee holds the record with something like 87 tackles.

?? Well then Andrew Gee just absolutely smashed the current NRL record, which is 75 tackles, held by Fensom & Hindmarsh.

Andrew Gee had 62 tackles attributed to him in the Round 19 1990 clash against Manly.

That record stood until David Stagg broke it in Round 21 2004 against Cronulla with 64 tackles.

Unsure whether that record was broken before today or not.

Source: Bronco Issue 01 2005

That was one of the best defensive efforts by our boys I've seen in a long, long, long time.

Very happy with this win and I truly believe now that we are a top 4 team, without a doubt.

Hopefully, we can not slack off and get over excited by this great win, I'm sure Wayne will keep our minds on the job.

We just need all our team to stay injury free and who knows what can happen this season. I'm a true believer.

But that's not what I'm talking about. ~12 grubbers into our in goal area is not great and I'm massively proud of the way we stood up the opposition but Billy has some amazing timing for those kind of plays.

Is there a part of the game you can point ot that you think Hodges would have done better than Kahu?
We defended everyone of those grubbers perfectly, the only maybe is when Green went close to grounding it, but with Slater there, our boys may have decided to push it put straight away. I think it's disingenuous to say Slater would've tipped the result in their favour when we're missing our best centre and arguably our best forward, who also happen to be our captain and vice captain.

I can't point to specifics, Hodges put Nilorima through a gap out of a nothing situation a while back, that's his magic, just like Slater can score a try that only he can score.

There's no way you can discredit the win in anyway citing missing players when we had the same amount of stars missing. They still had the guy who is widely regarded as the best player in the game running the show for them, mountain of possession, and a better kicking game and couldn't manage anything. If we converted our trys we were 18-12 with much less pressure. Lots of ifs and buts both ways.

I thought the way our defensive line and individual players read the attacking plays and reacted was exceptional.

I thought at times our defensive line speed was quite ordinary, but compensated for by the above, and by good individual tackles.

Having said that, and not to take anything from this important win ... we too were missing key players, when defensive line speed is slow, players like Slater and Cronk do make a difference. For mine, that needs to be taken into account for the future.

On the other hand, we scored 3 very classy tries to 2 not so classy tries, and won, against the 3rd best defensive side in the comp.

Last edited:
It's been 5 years since we've beaten one of our closest rivals, let alone beaten them on their own turf.

I know a lot of you suffer from a chronic case of pessimism and want to keep a lid on it, but you can smile and be happy about the victory. Buck isn't going to judge you.

Plenty to work on but today was the Broncos biggest test and they passed it while missing key personnel.

To add to my earlier post bragging about how great this win was I would like to add that we had to come from 12-8 behind at Melbourne where the Storm have a very impressive record and almost never lose after leading at halftime.

For the stats gurus. @Super Freak ; what is the Storms winning percentage after leading at halftime?

From the start of the 2011 season.

Before today, their win percentage was 88%. Winning 54 from 61 games.

Their home record was even better, 90%. Winning 29 from 32 games.

Last edited:
We defended everyone of those grubbers perfectly, the only maybe is when Green went close to grounding it, but with Slater there, our boys may have decided to push it put straight away. I think it's disingenuous to say Slater would've tipped the result in their favour when we're missing our best centre and arguably our best forward, who also happen to be our captain and vice captain.

I can't point to specifics, Hodges put Nilorima through a gap out of a nothing situation a while back, that's his magic, just like Slater can score a try that only he can score.

There's no way you can discredit the win in anyway citing missing players when we had the same amount of stars missing. They still had the guy who is widely regarded as the best player in the game running the show for them, mountain of possession, and a better kicking game and couldn't manage anything. If we converted our trys we were 18-12 with much less pressure. Lots of ifs and buts both ways.

I completely agree they were defended perfectly, but again not my point. I was just commenting how much more dangerous those numerous grubbers would have been with Slater chasing.

Ifs and buts are what forums are for. Same game with Hodges in and Slater still out, I don't think the difference would have been as great.

I'm not in any way trying to play down the win, the boys did a hell of a job and should be massively proud of themselves. I lost my shit when Reed scored and was glad the neighbors didn't call the cops on me!

Not sure disingenuous is the correct word you're after unless you're saying I'm being insincere?

Active Now

• bazza
  • Mustafur
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Huge
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.