Round 16 - Broncos vs Sharks - Pre-Game Discussion

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
When has he played as bench hooker? How is he being fattened up? how are we ruining him?

Just because some commentators have said he reminds them of Gene Miles doesn't mean he is.

Oates is a backrower and a very good one at that who filled in admirably on the wing last year considering he was out of position. This is a credit to him and shows that he is one of those rare players that is a 'footballer'and can do a job from anywhere on the park.

You are acting like he has the skills of hodges and we are putting him in the backrow to 'ruin him' just for ****s and giggles.

My references to him as a bench hooker was a a rather sarcastic attempt to demonstrate how the Broncos " ruin" players, using Hunt as the veiled example.

Fattening him up similarly was a reference to what has happened to Barba. It was my sarcastic way of showing how the Broncos can "ruin" players.

I'll refrain from sarcasm then.

The last few games I have seen Oates play have no utilized his strengths, just as we in general fail to use our edges as BP correctly IMO observed in another thread.

As for Oates's ball playing skills, or maybe lack of, we don't really know as he hasn't really had much a chance to show them AND he is so so young and there's a lot of time for them to develop with the right coaching ... or not.

As for his best position, in my view, he would make a fantastic centre or back rower, just as Gene Miles was.

We are lucky we have a player of his talent, despite our relatively large number of quality back rowers and outside backs.

Bottom line is sooner or later, someone is going to miss out. The questions is when and who.

Until then, when Oates comes off the bench, he ought to be used as an edge running back rower as far as possible. Who knows... down the track, he might be our answer to SBW

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
My references to him as a bench hooker was a a rather sarcastic attempt to demonstrate how the Broncos " ruin" players, using Hunt as the veiled example.

Fattening him up similarly was a reference to what has happened to Barba. It was my sarcastic way of showing how the Broncos can "ruin" players.

I'll refrain from sarcasm then.

The last few games I have seen Oates play have no utilized his strengths, just as we in general fail to use our edges as BP correctly IMO observed in another thread.

As for Oates's ball playing skills, or maybe lack of, we don't really know as he hasn't really had much a chance to show them AND he is so so young and there's a lot of time for them to develop with the right coaching ... or not.

As for his best position, in my view, he would make a fantastic centre or back rower, just as Gene Miles was.

We are lucky we have a player of his talent, despite our relatively large number of quality back rowers and outside backs.

Bottom line is sooner or later, someone is going to miss out. The questions is when and who.

Until then, when Oates comes off the bench, he ought to be used as an edge running back rower as far as possible. Who knows... down the track, he might be our answer to SBW

Is he not currently being used as an edge running back rower?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
He's playing in that position, but not being used as one if that makes sense.

Basically, picture what Lockyer used to do with the likes of TC, Te'o & Thaiday. That's how you use an edge backrow.

It was our best play even in 2012 when Locky had retired...don't know why we went away from it.

I mean, check out Barba's try against the Raiders. That right there sums up how big a weapon Oates could be as he was the decoy that made it all possible.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The only thing Pearce can do is pick edge back rowers well, and it got him into the NSW side for a number of years (maybe because they thought he could do other things too). It should be used by every side, especially one with a back row like ours. Unfortunately you just barely see it anymore, other than the two or 3 times Gillett has ran into a hole this year.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
The only thing Pearce can do is pick edge back rowers well, and it got him into the NSW side for a number of years (maybe because they thought he could do other things too). It should be used by every side, especially one with a back row like ours. Unfortunately you just barely see it anymore, other than the two or 3 times Gillett has ran into a hole this year.

Only Pearce has always got away with giving his back rowers forward passes that we wouldn't get away with.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Is he not currently being used as an edge running back rower?

I think BP's post answers your question, and his post elsewhere, as the ones above, address a key problem we have: we don't exploit our serious strength on the edges on both sides.

There appear to be no set plays. When our right hand side is used, we usually score, or come close. However, it is haphazard. Maybe I am wrong, but Hunt does not seem to have any worked combinations with Gillett or Oates, as well as Hodges and Copley.

Barba has done some very very good things on the right when he has chimed into the backline. He should do it more often.

Our left hand side is strangled by Hoffman, particularly his lack of insight to look for runners on his outside and inside, let alone his reluctance to pass the ball. He also compresses the left side attack by the angles he runs in many raids down that side. It's towards the sideline.

That IMO restricts the effectiveness of Reed and Glenn. Glenn in particular has developed a reluctance to pass and seems to be duplicating Hoffman's game. He dies with the ball, despite his often good metres.

For mine, Barba needs to assert himself more and work the left more often. There needs to be set plays down the left in addition to Hunt's kick's for Reed and all too rarely, Vidot.

This side needs many more set plays, including inside-outside stuff a la Meninga's set play with Hodges in Origin 2.

If we employed our edges more effectively, more often, then we would really see much more of Copley's amazing footwork and Hodges playing more as a centre than a de facto dummy half.

I will watch this match v Sharks with much interest.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I have a feeling Parker will be an ambush starter tomorrow.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I have a feeling Parker will be an ambush starter tomorrow.

In many ways I hope he does, but why? I read he had 2+ weeks before healing, maybe in time for Origin 2. Why risk him against a team like the Sharks and with a bye coming up?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
In many ways I hope he does, but why? I read he had 2+ weeks before healing, maybe in time for Origin 2. Why risk him against a team like the Sharks and with a bye coming up?

For no other reason other than he's training and he seems to be in good health.

X

xratedrattice

NYC Player
Oct 17, 2013
the sharkies are fielding their strongest team in months, they are a whole different side with robson there to, also with all the media attention this week regarding gallens comments we are looking at an ambush, add to that the losses of parker gillett and mccullough and i can see one of our toughest assignments looming. we need to strike early and get a couple of try lead on the board and force carney into his stupid errors when trying to pull massive cutout passes out of his ass.

i truly believe this will be a belter of a game, criticism always fires teams up and no doubt cronulla will fight until the last minute. we have to be close to our best especcially in defence, if they learn how to start scoring points again early we will be in trouble.

barba is starting to warm up to a bit of form but i want to see him chiming in more on both sides of the park given that without macca there hunt will be heavily targeted, hoping that granville can help out a bit in the short kicking department to.

also looking forward to seeing what oates can bring starting the game, this is his chance to step up with some decent minutes and prove he is as good as we all think he will be.

my housemate is a huge sharks supporter so these games are must wins for bragging rights... cummon broncs lets get into that top 4 !!!!

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Sportsbet paying 14:1 on sharks not scoring on us. Worth a few bucks!

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
I'd feel a lot more comfortable in this game if Parker gets named on the bench at 7pm.

Similiar feeling to the Eels game.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
If our backline plays to their potential we should be to strong for them. Our forwards just need to match them up the middle.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
For no other reason other than he's training and he seems to be in good health.

He has a fracture cheekbone. He wouldn't have missed any training with that. Contact drills are another story though. I really hope we don't risk him returning early for the sharks. If it was a do or die game against a top side then sure, but we should be right tonight against the sharks.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Had tickets available through work, but have been out a bit lately, so staying home with the wife. Don't want to push my luck too far...
Yeah, must ensure she keeps bringing the beer and nuts during the footy!

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
I'd feel a lot more comfortable in this game if Parker gets named on the bench at 7pm.

Similiar feeling to the Eels game.

Can't imagine he'll play. Not the kind of injury you want to mess with and end up with loose bone fragments floating around in your face.

The Eels were more of a danger game for us. Stylistically, they're a bit like the Warriors, playing ad lib, expansive attacking footy. Hard to defend against if the passes stick, and they'll improvise if plan A doesn't work. We match up better against the workmanlike no frills style of the Sharks, who have no plan B.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • bazza
  • TimWhatley
  • BroncosMan
  • Maroon4life
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behind enemy lines
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • MrMoore
  • Galco
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.