Round 16 - Broncos vs Sharks - Pre-Game Discussion

So do you believe that Oates has more ability to score a try at centre/wing than hodges, reed, Vidot/maranta or Copley?

Maybe not Hodges, but the others, bloody oath.

If we don't ruin him, he can be the next Gene Miles

I wouldn't agree on Copley. He is really coming into his own as a finisher this year.

Did you listen mate? If so what was said?

Salty asked a lot of Origin related questions.

Matty - Shame he got injured. It's a shoulder injury and he's had troubles with it in the past and infact was supposed to rule him out for Round 1 but Gillo opted to play.

Sammy - Did well to back up and play 60.

Hodgo - Is right for this weekend.

Hunt - Salty sat with him for Origin II. Pete reckons he's a great reader of the game and Hook reckons he got a lot out of being apart of the Origin camp and lamented that it was a shame he missed out because they all thought he was going to play until gameday.

Cronulla - Can't write them off and sides tend to lift when they play Brisbane at Suncorp.

Copley - Has been very impressive since he returned from his leg injury and given himself every opportunity to play Origin III.

Vidot - Was up there in the past and despite a patchy start to the year has really lifted these past few weeks.

Was about all I can remember and none of that is really verbatim.

I wouldn't agree on Copley. He is really coming into his own as a finisher this year.

Once Copley learns ball security, then I agree, and he is also more than a finisher, he's already pretty good at, and will only improve his ability in breaking the line with his footwork

Yes !!!

I too can see him transitioning to the centres and being a bloody handful for the opposition defence.

Much rather see that than have Hook turn him into a battering ram.

Salty asked a lot of Origin related questions.

Matty - Shame he got injured. It's a shoulder injury and he's had troubles with it in the past and infact was supposed to rule him out for Round 1 but Gillo opted to play.

Sammy - Did well to back up and play 60.

Hodgo - Is right for this weekend.

Hunt - Salty sat with him for Origin II. Pete reckons he's a great reader of the game and Hook reckons he got a lot out of being apart of the Origin camp and lamented that it was a shame he missed out because they all thought he was going to play until gameday.

Cronulla - Can't write them off and sides tend to lift when they play Brisbane at Suncorp.

Copley - Has been very impressive since he returned from his leg injury and given himself every opportunity to play Origin III.

Vidot - Was up there in the past and despite a patchy start to the year has really lifted these past few weeks.

Was about all I can remember and none of that is really verbatim.

Thanks for that mate.

Yes !!!

I too can see him transitioning to the centres and being a bloody handful for the opposition defence.

Much rather see that than have Hook turn him into a battering ram.

I think we are getting a little carried away here.

Don't get me wrong, I am as big a oates fan as anyone, but those tries he scored last year could have been scored by pretty much anyone. He was either put into holes or ended up on the end of a good passage of passing. In either case they were typical catch and run tries, in fact there was at least two tried that went begging that copley etc/ would have scored because he didn't step in or at least look to pass.

Like I said, I'm taking nothing away from him but he hasn't shown any ability to put on a step ala copley or decieve the defence in any other way which is what we need at centre.

Oates is a fantastic footballer that I think (and hope) will have a long and successful career with us, but currently he is best served in the backrow and calls of him to replace the current guys from 2 - 5 and unfounded IMHO

I think we are getting a little carried away here.

Don't get me wrong, I am as big a oates fan as anyone, but those tries he scored last year could have been scored by pretty much anyone. He was either put into holes or ended up on the end of a good passage of passing. In either case they were typical catch and run tries, in fact there was at least two tried that went begging that copley etc/ would have scored because he didn't step in or at least look to pass.

Like I said, I'm taking nothing away from him but he hasn't shown any ability to put on a step ala copley or decieve the defence in any other way which is what we need at centre.

Oates is a fantastic footballer that I think (and hope) will have a long and successful career with us, but currently he is best served in the backrow and calls of him to replace the current guys from 2 - 5 and unfounded IMHO

I disagree. Oates showed for mine, something special for a 19 yr old in the way he scored most of his ... what was it ... 8 tries in 9 games? How many of our players this year have scored 8 tries in 9 games? He has got footowrk and a swerve - maybe not as rzor sharp as Copley, but compensates with his sheer power.

If push came to shove, I'd rather Oates than Vidot (in the backs) any day. Vidot is slow as a wet week for a winger but, of course, compensates in other way. Nevertheless, I know who I'd put my money on if it came to a race between Vidot and most other NRL wingers.

As well, not too many players, especially as sizeable as Oates can match it with Uate for pace, then fend him and score.

As for being put into a hole, that's half the story. Finishing off the opportunity is the key, and what Oates showed as a 19 yr old bodes bloody well for the future ... if we don't ruin him by fattening him up or playing him as a bench hooker.

Last edited:
I disagree. Oates showed for mine, something special for a 19 yr old in the way he scored most of his ... what was it ... 8 tries in 9 games? How many of our players this year have scored 8 tries in 9 games? He has got footowrk and a swerve - maybe not as rzor sharp as Copley, but compensates with his sheer power.

If push came to shove, I'd rather Oates than Vidot (in the backs) any day. Vidot is slow as a wet week for a winger but, of course, compensates in other way. Nevertheless, I know who I'd put my money on if it came to a race between Vidot and most other NRL wingers.

As well, not too many players, especially as sizeable as Oates can match it with Uate for pace, then fend him and score.

As for being put into a hole, that's half the story. Finishing off the opportunity is the key, and what Oates showed as a 19 yr old bodes bloody well for the future ... if we don't ruin him by fattening him up or playing him as a bench hooker.

When has he played as bench hooker? How is he being fattened up? how are we ruining him?

Just because some commentators have said he reminds them of Gene Miles doesn't mean he is.

Oates is a backrower and a very good one at that who filled in admirably on the wing last year considering he was out of position. This is a credit to him and shows that he is one of those rare players that is a 'footballer'and can do a job from anywhere on the park.

You are acting like he has the skills of hodges and we are putting him in the backrow to 'ruin him' just for shits and giggles.

Gotta go with b4l here. Oates reminds me of a not unco version of Dane Carlaw. He should be hitting holes and running lines off Hunt/Milford/Barba for the next 8-10 years. In 2 or 3 years when he's around 21-22, he'll be about 6'5 and 115kgs with the pace of a Centre. He needs to be out wide, hitting holes and running, not worrying about having to then set up his Winger, IMO.

Gotta go with b4l here. Oates reminds me of a not unco version of Dane Carlaw. He should be hitting holes and running lines off Hunt/Milford/Barba for the next 8-10 years. In 2 or 3 years when he's around 21-22, he'll be about 6'5 and 115kgs with the pace of a Centre. He needs to be out wide, hitting holes and running, not worrying about having to then set up his Winger, IMO.

Except he looks like Tarzan and runs like Tarzan.

Very dire stat for Cronulla but an interesting one

Error Page

You know you're crap when you're at the standards the Crushers set. Not at all defending the Sharks as most of their team is average but with the team they've got, injury concerns and off-field drama it's barely a surprise that they can barely score points let alone win games.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • RolledOates
  • ivanhungryjak
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncoscope
  • Robboi_321
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  • heartly87
  • jd87
  • K-Style
  • theshed
  • johnny plath
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Alec
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.