Round 16 - Broncos vs Sharks - Pre-Game Discussion

MaroubraBroncos

MaroubraBroncos

QCup Player
Oct 15, 2013
Conservative Hook at it again. Any mug on the street could see Stagg halted all momentum Granville created out of dummy half. Could have found a better hooker option off the bench surely.

It's just poor decision after poor decision from our jibberer of a coach. Playing the worse team in the comp, why wouldn't you throw a young hooker in there for some experience. He continues to baffle me week in week out.

Hook the Hook

K

king_johns

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
As much as staggs service out of acting half was very slow I don't really understand how you can say it halted momentum. I think he threw one pass in the last 10 mintues of the first half. The loss of momentum was purely from the warriors gaining repeat sets through our silly errors. That being said I think we would be best of having an actual hooker on the bench if Granville can't play the full 80.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I think they were going to mention something about Oates being unlikely to have the same strike rate unless he plays on the wing. And that now he has developed past that and will only be used in the forwards from now on. But, like the "he scored those tries on the wing", I'm sure you already know all of this too, so it would have been useless posting it.

Mmm okay. I kind of already figured he wouldn't have the same strike rate in the forwards but what I was thinking was that he was more of a weapon out wide and his ability to score tries is lost. We have enough troops to do the grunt work. I would have preferred to have him either where he was or a bit closer in , perhaps as a centre. Our two best tryscorers from last year are scoring **** all between them.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Conservative Hook at it again. Any mug on the street could see Stagg halted all momentum Granville created out of dummy half. Could have found a better hooker option off the bench surely.

Whilst I do get what your saying with the hooker options, we are severely lacking in depth in this position for hookers who are of NRL quality. Also adding to that was that Burrell (our 20s hooker) is currently injured as well.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Whilst I do get what your saying with the hooker options, we are severely lacking in depth in this position for hookers who are of NRL quality. Also adding to that was that Burrell (our 20s hooker) is currently injured as well.

And we can blame the Cowboys for this. They currently have every non regular first grade hooker at their club.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Once again Hook missing a trick. With nobody outside of Broncos and Sharks fans giving a **** (so basically, Broncos fans + 1000 more people) this is the perfect spot to let a young kid like Nikorima or Taylor to get a taste of first grade and explore an option beyond Hoffman. Even if it is just to play a bit of dummy half in attack (let Lowrie defend there) it would be a prime opportunity to make that introduction without much pressure or risk. But nope, same old, same old.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Mmm okay. I kind of already figured he wouldn't have the same strike rate in the forwards but what I was thinking was that he was more of a weapon out wide and his ability to score tries is lost. We have enough troops to do the grunt work. I would have preferred to have him either where he was or a bit closer in , perhaps as a centre. Our two best tryscorers from last year are scoring **** all between them.

So do you believe that Oates has more ability to score a try at centre/wing than hodges, reed, Vidot/maranta or Copley?

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
js0fh0.jpg

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Sharks: 1. Michael Gordon 2. Sosaia Feki 3. Jonathan Wright 4. Ricky Leutele 5. Jacob Gagan 6. Todd Carney 7. Jeff Robson 8. Sam Tagataese 9. Michael Lichaa 10. Bryce Gibbs 11. Luke Lewis 12. Wade Graham 13. Paul Gallen

Interchange: 14. Fa’amanu Brown 15. Tinirau Arona 16. Anthony Tupou 17. Siosaia Vave 22. Chris Heighington.

Damn, no Blake Ayshford.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Im ok with this team... With Parker, Gillett and Macca out injured we are short of experienced forwards to bring in ... and i don't think we have too many actual hookers on our books. especially if Berrell (i think thats his name) our 20s hooker is also injured. hopefully its not much of a risk since its the basketcase Sharks that we are playing.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Once again Hook missing a trick. With nobody outside of Broncos and Sharks fans giving a **** (so basically, Broncos fans + 1000 more people) this is the perfect spot to let a young kid like Nikorima or Taylor to get a taste of first grade and explore an option beyond Hoffman. Even if it is just to play a bit of dummy half in attack (let Lowrie defend there) it would be a prime opportunity to make that introduction without much pressure or risk. But nope, same old, same old.
That would be petty much the same as telling his players that the Sharks are easy beats, which in the NRL generally equates to a defeat.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Sharks: 1. Michael Gordon 2. Sosaia Feki 3. Jonathan Wright 4. Ricky Leutele 5. Jacob Gagan 6. Todd Carney 7. Jeff Robson 8. Sam Tagataese 9. Michael Lichaa 10. Bryce Gibbs 11. Luke Lewis 12. Wade Graham 13. Paul Gallen

Interchange: 14. Fa’amanu Brown 15. Tinirau Arona 16. Anthony Tupou 17. Siosaia Vave 22. Chris Heighington.

Damn, no Blake Ayshford.

At least Wright is still playing.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
That would be petty much the same as telling his players that the Sharks are easy beats, which in the NRL generally equates to a defeat.

Not true. If McCullough were fit then maybe, but Granville is our starting hooker so a make shift bench hooker is still required regardless of whether it's a debutant or not. The only difference is instead of making a positive choice he's made a defensive, negative one.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It's not all going to be one-way traffic. Gordon has torn us up a few times, yes it was with the Panthers but he's back to fullback again and with a weakened pack he'll be licking his lips. Same with Wade Graham & Luke Lewis. In fact, all the ex-Panthers.

TBH Gallen doesn't really worry me any more. He may be 'inspirational' in his work ethic, and that's not unjustified, but for mine he's no better than having two decent 40-minute middle-third players in tandem. It's great in that it gives you effectively a free bench player and saves interchanges, but when those players are Brown, Arona, Vave & Anthony "$400k" Tupou, it's no where near the advantage of NSW's Lewis, Tamou, Woods, Merrin etc.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It's not all going to be one-way traffic. Gordon has torn us up a few times, yes it was with the Panthers but he's back to fullback again and with a weakened pack he'll be licking his lips. Same with Wade Graham & Luke Lewis. In fact, all the ex-Panthers.

TBH Gallen doesn't really worry me any more. He may be 'inspirational' in his work ethic, and that's not unjustified, but for mine he's no better than having two decent 40-minute middle-third players in tandem. It's great in that it gives you effectively a free bench player and saves interchanges, but when those players are Brown, Arona, Vave & Anthony "$400k" Tupou, it's no where near the advantage of NSW's Lewis, Tamou, Woods, Merrin etc.

High work ethic keeps the other forwards fresher, so they should be making less mistakes, giving away less penalties, missing less tackles etc. His runs are strong too.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
High work ethic keeps the other forwards fresher, so they should be making less mistakes, giving away less penalties, missing less tackles etc. His runs are strong too.

Which is all good in theory. But the Sharks, if anything, are even less disciplined when he is there because they expect the G-Train to do it all. And his work ethic means he often gets himself too involved and stuffs up plays, etc.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Not true. If McCullough were fit then maybe, but Granville is our starting hooker so a make shift bench hooker is still required regardless of whether it's a debutant or not. The only difference is instead of making a positive choice he's made a defensive, negative one.
Yeah, except this is Anthony Griffin, not known for his risk taking, so that is exactly how it would translate.

Unread

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncs30
  • Broncos Maestro
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Midean
  • rnabokov
  • Strop
  • Dash
  • RodF
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • ezpz
... and 51 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.