Round 16 Discussion

Tigs getting away with some pretty untidy rucks.
Broncos would have had 10 restarts by now and reffed out of it

**** me these Panthers forwards hit the line hard.

They love their footie. They play for each other. Young team too. I read somewhere that our Brisbane Broncos squad entered the 2020 season with 1859 games of experience. The Panthers squad has 1409 games. This figure is the lowest across any club in over 5 years. Interesting that. Youth and experience may not be such a big issue as we make out?

That article makes an interesting read:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/b91b449b1a2e0ffec4ccca146fa98f95

Last edited:
They love their footie. They play for each other. Young team too. I read somewhere that our Brisbane Broncos squad entered the 2020 season with 1859 games of experience. The Panthers squad has 1409 games. This figure is the lowest across any club in over 5 years. Interesting that. Youth and experience may not be such a big issue as we make out?

That article makes an interesting read:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/b91b449b1a2e0ffec4ccca146fa98f95

I just think it's a case when the good times they're really good for a young team, but when you need a team to pull yourselves out of a hole, it's extremely difficult if not damn near impossible. Everything is going their way at the moment but I think there's a real fine line with what they're doing.

I just think it's a case when the good times they're really good for a young team, but when you need a team to pull yourselves out of a hole, it's extremely difficult if not damn near impossible. Everything is going their way at the moment but I think there's a real fine line with what they're doing.

Agree 100%. Accordingly, it makes falling into that hole a lot more significant

Agree 100%. Accordingly, it makes falling into that hole a lot more significant

I mean you look at where Penrith were in 2019 as well. With the roster they had there is no way they should have missed the 8 and yet they did. To their credit, they blooded a few players and started playing a better brand of football but when the season was on the line they struggled immensely.

I actually see a lot of flaws in their game. Prop forwards having to kick the football, bounce passes, ill-discipline, directionless attack etc. The big thing is how they carry themselves and how the defence perceives them. Their defence has been the area of their game that's improved the most, but I can't be convinced that they're able to maintain that linespeed without the referee turning a blind eye. In fact the few times they actually panned out all the players were well infront of the referee.

But they're having a successful season so they get to enjoy those perks.

Last edited:
Good post, I get the sense that once the good teams really study their movements, plays and habits, Apply pressure to those points the playing without fear will dwindle and that fine line will become apparent. Finals might be a shock to them.

I mean you look at where Penrith were in 2019 as well. With the roster they had there is no way they should have missed the 8 and yet they did. To their credit, they blooded a few players and started playing a better brand of football but when the season was on the line they struggled immensely.

I actually see a lot of flaws in their game. Prop forwards having to kick the football, bounce passes, ill-discipline, directionless attack etc. The big thing is how they carry themselves and how the defence perceives them. Their defence has been the area of their game that's improved the most, but I can't be convinced that they're able to maintain that linespeed without the referee turning a blind eye. In fact the few times they actually panned out all the players were well infront of the referee.

But they're having a successful season so they get to enjoy those perks.

Again I agree, but at the same time, it's hard to ignore they have lost once in 16 games. I will say that to me, there's a sense of fragility about them, sort of like you intimate. Same as the Eels. For mine, if pushed, I'd say there's only the Storm and the Roosters who can endure to the end. For a start, they seem to execute a lot more clinically than either Panthers or Eels, and much more disciplined and well organised.

Last edited:
I'm not willing to pot them until I see them fail under pressure.
I thought the Tigers had a real crack tonight but were undone by crucial errors.
The Panthers run hard and tackle hard and play what they see off the back of that.
Cleary is seeing the game like a top quality half.
With api and kikau to come back they will be hard to beat.
Young, fit and confident is a good place to start to have a crack at a premiership.

I'm not willing to pot them until I see them fail under pressure.
I thought the Tigers had a real crack tonight but were undone by crucial errors.
The Panthers run hard and tackle hard and play what they see off the back of that.
Cleary is seeing the game like a top quality half.
With api and kikau to come back they will be hard to beat.
Young, fit and confident is a good place to start to have a crack at a premiership.

It will be most interesting to see them v Eels in a few weeks if they are as good as Souths when they demolished the Eels, because that was real pressure by Souths and the Eels fell apart. I wonder sometimes if the Panthers too have bought too much into their (well earned) hype.

Last edited:
We're definitely in the ladder predictor portion of the season. I've been playing around with it to get an idea of what the finals will look like. By my estimation, these are the games to keep an eye on.

Round 16
Melbourne vs. Manly - On paper this should be an easy win to Melbourne, but it would be peak Des to get the boys up in a game that's essentially sudden death when they're rated a buckley's chance. If he can make it an arm wrestle then DCE can show why he's one of the highest paid players in the game.

Round 17
Souths vs. Melbourne - Are Souths still a chance without Latrell or did they just shoot their shot? Melbourne could essentially wrap up a Top 2 spot that weekend.
Newcastle vs. Cronulla - The winner books their place in the finals, the loser faces a nervous final few weeks in the competition.
Canberra vs. Sydney - Gut check time for both teams. Canberra produced a season defining win earlier in the year, can they go 2/2? Even after putting 10 tries on Brisbane, Sydney still looked shakey and they're not getting much of a dress rehersal in heading towards the finals,
Warriors vs. Parramatta - Are Parramatta in free fall? And are the Warriors all of a sudden a finals bound team? Earlier I thought this would be an easy Eels win but after this weekend I'm not so sure. If the Warriors do get up, suddenly their games become must watch affairs. They'll be up against it taking on Cronulla, Canberra and Manly but they're not completely out of the question.

Round 18
Penrith vs. Parramatta - Parramatta's chance to mount a compelling case they can be premiership contenders. There's a bit on the line for Penrith as well since it'll bump Sydney up to 3rd, allowing Penrith to avoid them later in the finals. Will be very interesting to see if Penrith can remain undefeated to take out the premiership.

Round 19

Nothing at this stage, but if a few results go differently games like Warriors/Canberra, Sydney/Cronulla, Newcastle/St George and Manly/Gold Coast become big games.

Round 20

Souths vs. Sydney - This has always been an odd fixture. In 2013, it decided the minor premiership and put Sydney in the box seat after it appeared Souths would go on with it. Then in 2014 and 2019 the results hardly had a bearing and the losers went onto win the final fairly convincingly. Either way, it has ladder ramifications, so it's definitely on the radar and I don't think you'll see one team dog it like last year.

Cronulla vs. Canberra - Round 17 is going to tell us how seriously we should take Canberra heading into the finals, but this is their final hurdle in a game that has plenty of feeling in it. I think this is the perfect lead in for both teams on the bottom of the ladder.

Currently my Top 8 is looking like...

1. Penrith Panthers - 37
2. Melbourne Storm - 34
3. Sydney Roosters - 30
4. Parramatta Eels - 30
5. Canberra Raiders - 28
6. South Sydney Rabbitohs - 24
7. Newcastle Knights - 21
8. Cronulla Sharks - 20
------------------------------------------
9. Manly Sea Eagles - 20

And my finals

Week 1
Penrith def. Parramatta
Canberra def. Cronulla
Souths def. Newcastle
Sydney def. Melbourne

Week 2
Canberra def. Parramatta
Melbourne def. Souths

Week 3
Penrith def. Melbourne
Sydney def. Canberra

Grand Final
Penrith Panthers vs. Sydney Roosters - Gus Bowl

We're definitely in the ladder predictor portion of the season. I've been playing around with it to get an idea of what the finals will look like. By my estimation, these are the games to keep an eye on.

Round 16
Melbourne vs. Manly - On paper this should be an easy win to Melbourne, but it would be peak Des to get the boys up in a game that's essentially sudden death when they're rated a buckley's chance. If he can make it an arm wrestle then DCE can show why he's one of the highest paid players in the game.

Round 17
Souths vs. Melbourne - Are Souths still a chance without Latrell or did they just shoot their shot? Melbourne could essentially wrap up a Top 2 spot that weekend.
Newcastle vs. Cronulla - The winner books their place in the finals, the loser faces a nervous final few weeks in the competition.
Canberra vs. Sydney - Gut check time for both teams. Canberra produced a season defining win earlier in the year, can they go 2/2? Even after putting 10 tries on Brisbane, Sydney still looked shakey and they're not getting much of a dress rehersal in heading towards the finals,
Warriors vs. Parramatta - Are Parramatta in free fall? And are the Warriors all of a sudden a finals bound team? Earlier I thought this would be an easy Eels win but after this weekend I'm not so sure. If the Warriors do get up, suddenly their games become must watch affairs. They'll be up against it taking on Cronulla, Canberra and Manly but they're not completely out of the question.

Round 18
Penrith vs. Parramatta - Parramatta's chance to mount a compelling case they can be premiership contenders. There's a bit on the line for Penrith as well since it'll bump Sydney up to 3rd, allowing Penrith to avoid them later in the finals. Will be very interesting to see if Penrith can remain undefeated to take out the premiership.

Round 19
Nothing at this stage, but if a few results go differently games like Warriors/Canberra, Sydney/Cronulla, Newcastle/St George and Manly/Gold Coast become big games.

Round 20
Souths vs. Sydney - This has always been an odd fixture. In 2013, it decided the minor premiership and put Sydney in the box seat after it appeared Souths would go on with it. Then in 2014 and 2019 the results hardly had a bearing and the losers went onto win the final fairly convincingly. Either way, it has ladder ramifications, so it's definitely on the radar and I don't think you'll see one team dog it like last year.

Cronulla vs. Canberra - Round 17 is going to tell us how seriously we should take Canberra heading into the finals, but this is their final hurdle in a game that has plenty of feeling in it. I think this is the perfect lead in for both teams on the bottom of the ladder.

Currently my Top 8 is looking like...

1. Penrith Panthers - 37
2. Melbourne Storm - 34
3. Sydney Roosters - 30
4. Parramatta Eels - 30
5. Canberra Raiders - 28
6. South Sydney Rabbitohs - 24
7. Newcastle Knights - 21
8. Cronulla Sharks - 20
------------------------------------------
9. Manly Sea Eagles - 20

And my finals

Week 1
Penrith def. Parramatta
Canberra def. Cronulla
Souths def. Newcastle
Sydney def. Melbourne

Week 2
Canberra def. Parramatta
Melbourne def. Souths

Week 3
Penrith def. Melbourne
Sydney def. Canberra

Grand Final
Penrith Panthers vs. Sydney Roosters - Gus Bowl

Agree with a lot of those predictions in the finals, only one I may switch is I think that Parra could beat Canberra in Week 2 at Bankwest, but it'll be a tough, tough game (and the result may be dependant on if D.Brown is back or not)

Either way, the winner is going to lose to the Roosters in Week 3.

I've got the Panthers winning the GF against the Roosters at this stage.

Agree with a lot of those predictions in the finals, only one I may switch is I think that Parra could beat Canberra in Week 2 at Bankwest, but it'll be a tough, tough game (and the result may be dependant on if D.Brown is back or not)

Either way, the winner is going to lose to the Roosters in Week 3.

I've got the Panthers winning the GF against the Roosters at this stage.

Yeah that's my one upset heading into the finals. There's usually that one game that throws a spanner in the mix and with Guler, Horsburgh and Soliola slated back for Canberra they're certainly capable of causing a boil over.

I won't reveal who I have at 16th. 😬

Yeah that's my one upset heading into the finals. There's usually that one game that throws a spanner in the mix and with Guler, Horsburgh and Soliola slated back for Canberra they're certainly capable of causing a boil over.

I won't reveal who I have at 16th. 😬

Very considerate to the Dogs fans on the forum mate. You're a good egg.

I cannot stand the fawning over SBW, He’s a cat mercenary who walked out on his contract and only came back to win a premiership for 1 year then f*d off again. 🤮🤮🤮 and the media are kissing his arse like he’s the second coming of man. I hate it so much. End rant.

I cannot stand the fawning over SBW, He’s a cat mercenary who walked out on his contract and only came back to win a premiership for 1 year then f*d off again. [emoji2961][emoji2961][emoji2961] and the media are kissing his arse like he’s the second coming of man. I hate it so much. End rant.
Agree [emoji106]

He actually came back for 2 years.

Think he would do wonders for our young pack, still a force to be reckoned with.
Probably offload Bird for him.
-------------------
To more pressing matters;
Go Manly, Go Dogs 😆😆

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Dazza 92
  • Foordy
  • Porthoz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • TimWhatley
  • Dony Eliakim
  • MrMoore
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.