Round 17 - Broncos vs Sharks - Post Match Discussion

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Probably referring to his trademark 6th tackle freeze play where he doesn't do anything and accepts the tackle.

A shame, because his defence was awesome last night. 60 tackles & plenty of big hits too. One nearly resulted in a try.

Yeah, he is making a habit of that, he's good for at least 1 a game.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Our one and only play is when we put up a bomb, watch Reed run 40m, jump for it and lose the ball mid-air.

At least last year, we had Yow Yeh on the other side to create some mystery & Locky to feed our players with money balls.

It showed up last night just how regimented we are in attack. Wallace kept kicking into the in goal, it all looked preconceived. The intercept pass was also a planned move, Copley was running a line for an out ball which actually worked fine but Wallace didn't read the play and went ahead with the called play instead of kicking.

The few times Reed got early ball inside the 20 he looked dangerous.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Only heard the last 20 minutes on the radio but FMD how many times do Wallace and Norman get tackled on 5th tackle?!

Sounded like they tried hard but inexperience got us.

Have we thrown 3 intercept tried the last 3 weeks?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Macca is frustrating he burns the plays close to our line with his dumb grubber or show and go from dummy half. It never works.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'd like to go on record as saying we are the worst grubber kicking side in the comp.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
I'm a fan of Hoffman but Beale showed what we are missing from him at fullback.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Beale over Hoffman would mean we're sacrificing someone whos good under the high ball for attack.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Beale over Hoffman would mean we're sacrificing someone whos good under the high ball for attack.

Well I'd like to see us think outside the box - play Hoffman at fullback in defence, and wing in attack. His strength is his strong straight running. Perfect to finish off a move in the corner.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I think it's too late to throw Beale into the fullback position given how little it'll benefit us in the long run.

Yeah, he's a better playmaker than Hoffman but when it comes to making metres, defusing bombs & positional play I believe Hoffman trumps him.

As it stands, I'd rather Beale play in the centres with Reed out.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Beale is no worse than Hoffman under the high ball. Beale has had some issues on the wing, but when at FB his ability to defuse a bomb has been good.

Well whatever, I think it's pointless but do what you like it. It doesn't change anything since Hoffman wont be replaced.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Beale's ball playing isn't that great either. Other than Lockyer and Hunt, the only other fullback we've had who looked good in that area was Norman IMO, but he failed at everything else back there.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Aaron Whitchurch made 12 runs last night for 156 metres. Phenomenal effort on debut.

Really excited about this fella.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I thought both Redcliffe lads played well actually.

Slyney really sured up our defence in the middle and made a couple of nice runs, including a nice offload that put Wallace into space.

Can't say enough good things about Whichurch's hit ups.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Eh, I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

I believe those injuries really hurt us in the end. We could have handled losing Hoffman, but Reed basically made it that we only had one side of the field we could really depend on - which is why Copley kept switching sides in the end. That shuffle did little wonder for our attack and basically allowed the Sharks to defend their line pretty easily in the end.

Don't get me wrong, Wallace had a lowlight reel of every criticism anyone has ever made of him. Aside from a couple of really good passes, Norman never left his post when we needed him too & Macca/Hunt took turns at coming up with silly plays out of dummy half. The early domination of the Sharks pack certainly didn't help our halves at all but a lot of the poor decisions they made were really unforced.

Tbh our 6,7 & 9 have been a problem since the Chooks game & for Norman since the Manly game.

I still get the feeling, Wallace isn't the halves partner for Norman and that Norman played his best footy with Hunt.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
I hate saying this but does the foward pack carry the spine?

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
I think its a waste of breathe talking about the team minus 7 key players, with 2 more injured and a 2 man bench. Its no surprise we go to the shit around origin every year. 3 weeks in a row with the same team will do so, so much for them.

user_nat

user_nat

NRL Player
Aug 29, 2009
I hate saying this but does the foward pack carry the spine?
I think so.

It showed against Souths. The spine were terrible but it didn't cost us because the forwards ensured we had all the field position.

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • HarryAllan7
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • RolledOates
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.