Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

This game also showed quite starkly how important quality wingers are these days to the team, quality under the high ball in particular.

I felt putting poor Kodi on the wing was really dumb with the opposition he had and a kicker of Cronk's talent and vision.

Gillett isn't in this team to make metres or hit ups

Our halves are seriously holding this team back - something is wrong and I for one have no idea what. You can't blame origin on Hunt or Milf.

Anyone have any ideas why 2 of the best halves in the game are playing so inconsistently? One minute, you get Milford + Roberts turning on a beautiful classy move and then zip for the rest of the game?

I'm lost...

It seemed like the Broncos started the game well with the halves getting involved and getting a repeat set of kick - something they haven't been doing recently. After not getting any points the broncos gave away a penalty, the Storm marched up the field and scored a try, heads dropped

The Broncos defence seemed better than what it was against the Bulldogs up until Oates went of causing a reshuffle which the Storm exploited.

I think the poor attack is putting extra pressure on the Broncos defence.

The most worrying thing for mine is when heads went down no Broncos player stood up to lead the team.

Someone should place a SOS call to locky to teach Hunt, Milford and Macca game management and leadership on the field.

I read it, but sheer number of tackles doesn't mean you played well, which is what I was responding to. You stated it was 'absolute bullshit' when Alec stated he was neither 'excellent nor awesome.'

Plenty were bagging Roberts during the live chat, yet he made 19 tackles, so I guess that's it? He played well because he made a comparatively high number of tackles?
I was actually answering at the Su'A and Gillett unfounded criticism in regards to their defense, and I did that based on how they played, not on stats. (hence my remark about putting myself through the game)

Gillett only missed tackles in the second half when he got frustrated and tried too hard to change things.
Su'A was guilty of one bad read, but was the best defender on that left edge.

Neither of them was awesome or excellent, but then again... no Bronco was, and very few were actually better than them!

Agree Porthoz. You referred to Gilletts defence being good, which it was, more so in the first half like you said and u also referred to both TPJ and Sua being excellent considering how inexperienced they are and what is going on around them. Those two are still the best forward rookies I believe this year in the comp.

On another note. 13 minutes in and Cronulla are 12 0 down. It happens to all the teams. Hope they get two quick 'NO TRIES' turn tries, so we can see if they can come back.

This game also showed quite starkly how important quality wingers are these days to the team, quality under the high ball in particular.

I felt putting poor Kodi on the wing was really dumb with the opposition he had and a kicker of Cronk's talent and vision.

Gillett isn't in this team to make metres or hit ups

Our halves are seriously holding this team back - something is wrong and I for one have no idea what. You can't blame origin on Hunt or Milf.

Anyone have any ideas why 2 of the best halves in the game are playing so inconsistently? One minute, you get Milford + Roberts turning on a beautiful classy move and then zip for the rest of the game?

I'm lost...

I reckon this is where Walters was important. Being a half himself and also a young modern coach he was able to teach hunt and milf the nuances of being a half in the modern game.

Surely Walters can come back after origin.. We need all the help we can get.

I'm lost...

Hint.....our forwards.

They aren't getting us on the front foot for large periods of the game. Even a veteran/marquee half struggles without his forward pack getting a roll on. The game today is so much about momentum, more then ever before.

Young halves need the space and time that momentum affords you. That's Milford's problem anyway
......fucked if I know what's wrong with Hunt, but something has got to kick start him. Maybe a spell coming off the bench and start Niko in the 7 might work?

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of dropping Hunt to the ISC.

Just to fire a rocket up him and see if that helps him get back to his best.

Hint.....our forwards. They aren't getting us on the front foot for large periods of the game. Even a veteran/marquee half struggles without his forward pack getting a roll on. The game today is so much about momentum, more then ever before. Young halves need the space and time that momentum affords you. That's Milford's problem anyway ......fucked if I know what's wrong with Hunt, but something has got to kick start him. Maybe a spell coming off the bench and start Niko in the 7 might work?

I agree with this. We are making good metres on exit sets. Our problem lies in our ruck speed.
We are being completely and utterly dominated with and without the ball, in our speed of the ruck. No quick play the balls, no space for the halves = no creativity
In defence, we are losing each play the ball and are back-pedalling down the field. It's killing us.

I agree with this. We are making good metres on exit sets. Our problem lies in our ruck speed.
We are being completely and utterly dominated with and without the ball, in our speed of the ruck. No quick play the balls, no space for the halves = no creativity
In defence, we are losing each play the ball and are back-pedalling down the field. It's killing us.
Talk to Wayne would ya Joe? 100% agree

I don't know if dropping Hunt to ISC would be beneficial or further drive his confidence through the floor. I like Fourex's idea of maybe putting him on the bench and starting Niko to see if that does anything.

The solution is bring coach Kevin Walter back as soon as possible. So far this year Ben hunt is not performing well. Last two game out of 17 players 3 or 4 player performing good. I think Ben hunt gone be Broncos half back this season. But next season I am not sure. It's hard to watch Broncos game this year as compare to last year.

I don't know if dropping Hunt to ISC would be beneficial or further drive his confidence through the floor. I like Fourex's idea of maybe putting him on the bench and starting Niko to see if that does anything.

I guess ISC lets Hunt play behind a pack that's not being smashed continuously and realise that when he's actually got some time, he's still got the ability. Either that or he quits altogether and becomes an accountant.

Its being alluded too here vaguely, but ffs we don't have a forward that has any serious punch. Reading through this and other threads, apparently Blair and Gillette aren't in the team to make hard runs or big metres - so who's job is it then cos they aren't doing it real well. If thats true, thats putting a lot of pressure on the rest of the forwards, and even without that kind of pressure our other forwards just aren't metre eaters. When was the last time we raved about one of our forwards bending the line consistently, let alone make a line break. Its a common theme with the teams above us... they all have punch...scott, taomalola, tamou, bromwich, procter, maclean, gallen, tagatese, fifita, graham, kasiano, klemmer, etc etc etc. Cue the posts saying hes shit, and such and such is shit but fact is we don't have a single forward that hits the line like any of them, let alone two to three per team. We thought our forwards would work because of their mobility... well mobility doesn't matter with this one out shit we play. Our game plan does nothing to capitalise on our mobility, or take the sting out of other team forwards. Obvious statement, but without change in either players or style, milf and hunt will keep on struggling except when we play the other plodders in the comp, and I think we've played most of them already.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of dropping Hunt to the ISC.

Just to fire a rocket up him and see if that helps him get back to his best.

Who would you bring in?

I thinnk dropping a player you need to make sure you have someone better and it will have the desired result on his confidence.

Alf should have been dropped on form in '91 but it would have shattered him and he wouldn't have gone back to reserve grade and played better he would have been lost.

Last edited:
Are their gone be change next game? Look broncos on ladder. Now broncos can't loose any games if they want to finish top 8 end of the season.

Are their gone be change next game? Look broncos on ladder. Now broncos can't loose any games if they want to finish top 8 end of the season.

That's wrong.

I wish we had a bye after Origin, even if it meant losing the next game. Player just need to recharge both mentally and physically after it.

Also it's been happening for a few years now, the club seems to be hoping the wrestling/holding down will go away sometime soon....but it never does. We should be doing the same shit as all the other clubs too. It's way too easy for teams to advance down the field against us, especially with our passive line speed.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • MrMoore
  • marw
  • mystico
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • davidp
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.