20:00

Panthers

Team Lists

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I thought they just have to be on report? I thought the issue was because he passed his HIA
It was both basically... can activate the 18th man if you have 2x HIA's in the game OR a HIA due to foul play that was a sin bin or send off.

Walsh didn't fail his HIA and May wasn't binned... so they couldn't activate on both fronts

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
It was both basically... can activate the 18th man if you have 2x HIA's in the game OR a HIA due to foul play that was a sin bin or send off.

Walsh didn't fail his HIA and May wasn't binned... so they couldn't activate on both fronts
Pretty much the story of our season. Any little chance that something could go our way, it won't.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I agree with @leon.bott , I'm looking forward to seeing Mariners speed at centre.
If we can get him.early ball it could open good opportunities for Arthur's.
To'o likes to jam in as it is so it brings Walsh's cut out into play as well if Mariner burns his opposite early on.
Hopefully Marty and Wilison can repeat last week's efforts and we actually get something from our bench.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
I agree with @leon.bott , I'm looking forward to seeing Mariners speed at centre.
If we can get him.early ball it could open good opportunities for Arthur's.
To'o likes to jam in as it is so it brings Walsh's cut out into play as well if Mariner burns his opposite early on.
Hopefully Marty and Wilison can repeat last week's efforts and we actually get something from our bench.
It's actually not that bad of a team. A middle of Hass, Jensen and Carrigan (with Willison and Taupau rotating) should hold its own. The only concern would be our edge defence, and if our halves can do something.

Also the errors...

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
You need to make your own luck

We’ve been unlucky since ‘07, I don’t believe it’s all just chance.
Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

What if I told you there were three teams on the park at all football matches?

Cavalo

Cavalo

NYC Player
Sep 20, 2019
Warriors game, my optimism didn't even make it 10 mins.
Even without Reynolds, Riki and Staggs that's still a top 8 team on paper.
Something's gotta click soon or the season is done.
At least we know with Oates we'll get some yardage.
I've said it before: hold the ball, line speed, kick chase, support play.
Hopefully the big crowd makes a positive impact and we get an even interpretation of the ruck and 10 m (OK, the last one may be asking too much).

leon.bott

leon.bott

NYC Player
Nov 16, 2017
I admire your optomism .
But sad to break it to you . That`s not a given anymore ...
Then there is always the possibility he loses the white thingy in the 1st tackle .
Sadly he’s not alone. Seems our backline are especially prone to losing the ball in contact. I spend half my time worrying we’ll spill the ball coming out of our own end, and then on the off chance we don’t, my relief is short lived when I realise we’ve only made 20-30m in our set.

leon.bott

leon.bott

NYC Player
Nov 16, 2017
I tried to articulate this point in erratic frustration during the warriors live chat thread, and as a long term fan but not a player/student of the game please somebody correct me if this view is naive or too unfair.

It seems increasingly obvious we are too passive of a team and try too hard to comply to the rule book. Maybe this is a byproduct of nice guy Kevie as our coach, missing Reyno, or just not being tactical enough. But we seem to never dictate the ruck speed in attack or defence, and never try pushing the limit of the officiating.

We set a precedent that we’ll clear the ruck as quick and meekly as possible, and perhaps subconsciously, the refs seem to hold us to that higher standard. Even when they don’t get a dominant tackle, your storm and panthers of the world will wrestle and tactically buy that extra few seconds. If they concede a penalty along the way they don’t care, because the ref won’t ping every time and eventually go soft.

We also miss Reyno holding the refs to account and whinging every so often. It irks me as a viewer but is sadly needed. Patty isn’t (yet) that guy.

Another thing that resonates with me is on the bloke podcast after last years GF, fish saying something along the lines of them learning from their ‘21 loss that they were too nice and gave their opposition too much respect. We honestly need at least a shift towards this line of thinking. I thought last year we were working towards it but I think it was an illusion because we were just riding the wave of our purple patch and fast paced play coming off more often than not.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I tried to articulate this point in erratic frustration during the warriors live chat thread, and as a long term fan but not a player/student of the game please somebody correct me if this view is naive or too unfair.

It seems increasingly obvious we are too passive of a team and try too hard to comply to the rule book. Maybe this is a byproduct of nice guy Kevie as our coach, missing Reyno, or just not being tactical enough. But we seem to never dictate the ruck speed in attack or defence, and never try pushing the limit of the officiating.

We set a precedent that we’ll clear the ruck as quick and meekly as possible, and perhaps subconsciously, the refs seem to hold us to that higher standard. Even when they don’t get a dominant tackle, your storm and panthers of the world will wrestle and tactically buy that extra few seconds. If they concede a penalty along the way they don’t care, because the ref won’t ping every time and eventually go soft.

We also miss Reyno holding the refs to account and whinging every so often. It irks me as a viewer but is sadly needed. Patty isn’t (yet) that guy.

Another thing that resonates with me is on the bloke podcast after last years GF, fish saying something along the lines of them learning from their ‘21 loss that they were too nice and gave their opposition too much respect. We honestly need at least a shift towards this line of thinking. I thought last year we were working towards it but I think it was an illusion because we were just riding the wave of our purple patch and fast paced play coming off more often than not.
I think it could be a byproduct from back in the mid-2000's when Wayne basically renounced wrestling in the game and didnt really want to be a part of it... we have wrestling coaches and whatnot now, but I doubt we are dedicating as much time to it as a team like the storm do... so I feel like we've been playing catch up on modern football, but then not really trying to catch up either.

The Reynolds stuff to me is about football intelligence across the squad... which I think we've lacked for so long now that I wouldnt even be able to point out a time when we had it... other than "Lockyer days"... did we have it during the Pwall days?? (not sure)... but 2015/16 was heads up footy through Bhunt and Milf, so we didnt have it then.

Seibold picked up a spoon because the squad didnt understand what he was talking about, Reynolds had to come in and teach them fundamentals and Kevvie in 2021 had to strip things all the way back to basics.

In terms of fundamentals we're uneducated as a team, but have been for a long time so this isnt a Kevvie thing... it seems we pick the biggest and the fastest... rather than the smartest.

The best teams in the comp are the ones that cheat the most on the field... there's no point having your head in the sand trying to be saints on the field when the officiating doesnt reward that style of play and havent for a loooong fucking time now.

Good teams know when they've lost the ruck and concede a blatant penalty to reset their line rather than concede a quick ptb... Broncos seem to double down by somehow conceding a six again whilst also conceding a quick ptb.

Teams know when their defence is shot on their goal line and shoot out offside to stop a try, because you may or may not be penalised by the ref so that's always better than conceding a try.

Totally Unr3al

Totally Unr3al

BRL Player
May 3, 2024
I admire your optomism .
But sad to break it to you . That`s not a given anymore ...
Then there is always the possibility he loses the white thingy in the 1st tackle .
Do they count your metres when you drop the ball at the end of them

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.