Round 19 Discussion

It's really all just opinions so all good... but I do think under the new rules Teddy is catching up to Turbo because the roosters emphasis is to run through the middle and Teddy is everywhere through the middle and behind the ruck... so in that sense the ball playing requirements of a fullback are lowered.

However we haven't really seen what Turbo can do under the new rules... but we know that Manly are a team that like to exploit the middle through inside balls and intricate plays utilising Fainu/ Jurbo, DCE and Turbo behind the ruck and through the middle.

Teddy appears to be more of an off the cusp fullback whereas Turbo fills in as that genuine third playmaker. Turbo hasn't really been needed to be that guy going through the middle, although he did provide a glimpse of it during Origin and from centre.

I just think Turbo covers every base as a fullback and if injuries weren't an issue and they were both the same age... I'm building my team around Turbo, although Teddy is a very good 2nd pick if needed.

I will take either thank you. I can't split them, each has strengths as you describe, and very few, if any weaknesses. I love Tedesco's footwork, positional awareness - where to fit in their game plan, his positional sense in defence, and his defence. But then, same for TT. I can't split them

I will take either thank you. I can't split them, each has strengths as you describe, and very few, if any weaknesses. I love Tedesco's footwork, positional awareness - where to fit in their game plan, his positional sense in defence, and his defence. But then, same for TT. I can't split them
I'd 100% take either... **** I'd even take one of our juniors looking comparable to either of them at this stage!!

I'd 100% take either... **** I'd even take one of our juniors looking comparable to either of them at this stage!!

Ok ... realistically then for next year : Staggs? Farnworth? Niu? Isaako?

Maybe we need to speculate on the FB position in a separate thread given it's critical importance to our success next year.

Last edited:

Maybe we need to speculate on the FB position in a separate thread given it's critical importance to our success next year.
I'm a little with you that I think Herbie could do the job. I think he could be a CNK where he gives everything he has for the 80mins. You know he'd be safe under bombs and clean up the back... he's a decent defender 1v1 ... I think he has enough skill to finish off sweeps, and you know he will work his ass off through the middle to get us on the front foot with kick returns and dummy half runs.

Maybe he doesn't have the skill to become a top level fullback, but Canberra are doing well with CNK... and I think he would level out as a bit of a Gutherson type fullback.

If we don't go Herbie then Niu is my next best bet. I liked what Isaako brought, but he's pretty dependent on the players around him and looked limited through the middle (he doesn't make the most meters coming out of our own end), but he may have been restricted by coaching??

Niu is young but looks powerful though the hips so I think he could do a job coming through the middle. I think he also combined well with Croft on the sweep.. which suggests he knows how to work a backline play when the rest of the spine is doing it's job.

Niu us what 18/19?? If he fills out with the power he already has then he could become quite good

Last edited:

Should probably touch on Staggs as well given he's getting a bit of hype.

I think what he showed as a 6 vs eels can be achieved as a centre or 2nd row if given the ball early enough.

Power to break the line, a nice little kick to get drop outs... he brings a point of difference, but I think he would need a really set half to take on pretty much everything else whilst he just owns his edge.

That's not a bad thing Luai is owning his left edge whilst Cleary does the rest and I think Staggs could do a similar job as a 6... but Wade Graham owns his left edge from the second row and Jamie Lyon owned his right edge as a centre so he doesn't necessarily need to be in the spine to impact a game... he just needs to be given the ball in the right situations

I think as a fullback there would need to be assurance that he could be just as competent on the defensive side of the ball... I'm pretty sure he came through the grades as a second rower / centre, but as fullback in the NRL he'll be dealing with towering floating bombs, charging kick chases and grubbers in his ingoal... he'd be a weapon in attack, but the defensive side of the ball is just as important when you're the fullback

Last edited:
Should probably touch on Staggs as well given he's getting a bit of hype.

I think what he showed as a 6 vs eels can be achieved as a centre or 2nd row if given the ball early enough.

Power to break the line, a nice little kick to get drop outs... he brings a point of difference, but I think he would need a really set half to take on pretty much everything else whilst he just owns his edge.

That's not a bad thing Luai is owning his left edge whilst Cleary does the rest and I think Staggs could do a similar job as a 6... but Wade Graham owns his left edge from the second row and Jamie Lyon owned his right edge as a centre so he doesn't necessarily need to be in the spine to impact a game... he just needs to be given the ball in the right situations

I think as a fullback there would need to be a lot work to make sure he can be just as competent on the defensive side of the ball... I'm pretty sure he came through the grades as a second rower / centre, but as fullback in the NRL he'll be dealing with towering floating bombs, charging kick chases and grubbers in his ingoal... he'd be a weapon in attack, but the defensive side of the ball is just as important when you're the fullback

I agree 100%. Interestingly, I thought his defence last night was good given he wasn't part of a dreadful edge where there is zero communication and understanding between players, and everyone just makes poor decisions accordingly which impacts the other defenders. And yes, it is easy to be seduced by his attacking brilliance. I am.

I'm a little with you that I think Herbie could do the job. I think he could be a CHN where he gives everything he has for the 80mins. You know he'd be safe under bombs and clean up the back... he's a decent defender 1v1 ... I think he has enough skill to finish off sweeps, and you know he will work his ass off through the middle to get us on the front foot with kick returns and dummy half runs.

Maybe he doesn't have the skill to become a top level fullback, but Canberra are doing well with CHN... and I think he would level out as a bit if a Gutherson type fullback.

If we don't go Herbie then Niu is my next best bet. I liked what Isaako brought, but he's pretty dependent on the players around him and looked limited through the middle (he doesn't make the most meters coming out of our own end), but he may have been restricted by coaching??

Niu is young but looks powerful though the hips so I think he could do a job coming through the middle. I think he also combined well with Croft on the sweep.. which suggests he knows how to work a backline play when the rest of the spine is doing it's job.

Niu us what 18/19?? If he fills out with the power he already has then he could become quite good

Niu has shown me he has the instincts to be a good FB, especially the way he moved up looking for opportunities behind the ruck, and as you say, linking with the backs.

In any case, we have good options looking ahead.

I agree 100%. Interestingly, I thought his defence last night was good given he wasn't part of a dreadful edge where there is zero communication and understanding between players, and everyone just makes poor decisions accordingly which impacts the other defenders. And yes, it is easy to be seduced by his attacking brilliance. I am.
Agree on his defence... they looked very comfortable on that right side of the field last night.

I think the eels went to the other side of the field because they weren't getting anything on the right.

Last edited:
No-one even mentioned the fact his arm doesn't even leave his side... I was wondering if I got the rule mixed up.
It's amazing isn't it. All the refs, the commentators, even the Cronulla players. No one questioned it. Text book shoulder charge and not a peep.

Niu has shown me he has the instincts to be a good FB, especially the way he moved up looking for opportunities behind the ruck, and as you say, linking with the backs.

In any case, we have good options looking ahead.

But are any of them ready? That's the question.

But are any of them ready? That's the question.

It's such an important position. Isaako has the experience and I guess the hope is he can not only return to his best form but improve. Niu is, well, new, Staggs is a mystery at the back but has the NRL experience, Farnworth is also a mystery there. So the answer to your question would suggest Isaako in terms of readiness. Depends which way the new coach wants to go I guess. Start with someone experienced, or experiment. Then there's Bird, who I would like to see at lock, but who usurped Darius's throne to good effect all too briefly before the 2nd ACL.

Who would you pick?

It's such an important position. Isaako has the experience and I guess the hope is he can not only return to his best form but improve. Niu is, well, new, Staggs is a mystery at the back but has the NRL experience, Farnworth is also a mystery there. So the answer to your question would suggest Isaako in terms of readiness. Depends which way the new coach wants to go I guess. Start with someone experienced, or experiment. Then there's Bird, who I would like to see at lock, but who usurped Darius's throne to good effect all too briefly before the 2nd ACL.

Who would you pick?

For me it’s Herbie or Staggs. My concern for Herbie is he hasn’t shown any playmaking ability really. Staggs has no experience there and I worry about his cramping and hammies. I want Kotoni at 6 though, I’ve been pretty consistent on that. Hopefully someone is signed, even just a stop gap like Drinkwater or get Allan back.

For me it’s Herbie or Staggs. My concern for Herbie is he hasn’t shown any playmaking ability really. Staggs has no experience there and I worry about his cramping and hammies. I want Kotoni at 6 though, I’ve been pretty consistent on that. Hopefully someone is signed, even just a stop gap like Drinkwater or get Allan back.

Another question is who would Green want as opposed to Walters, or would it be the same choice

Raiders imploding here. Two consecutive] foul play penalties by Big Papa followed by Wighton being binned. Down 14-6 now.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.