PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Different situation, and weren't we still favourites anyway?

Yeah not arguing its a different situation mate and we were, I went to the Knights game which was the first game back, such a disappointment from the boys that day, great experience outside of that. The field was a damn sandbox and we suffered a lot of injuries for quite a while. The problem with Suncorp Stadium is it's a great experience and stadium for opposition teams to experience, one aspect I loved about QE2 stadium was it was quite the opposite. Our home crowd doesn't get involved much as we should, but that isn't helped that the Broncos don't do much to fire up the crowd prior to kick off either or during the match, which used to be common place.

Last edited:
View attachment 2616

Petero Civoniceva backs wounded Broncos pack to fire against Cowboys

March 16, 2018

FORMER Brisbane enforcer Petero Civoniceva has hit back at the club’s critics and backed the Broncos’ senior core, led by Matt Gillett and Alex Glenn, to fire in tonight’s derby against the Cowboys.

The Broncos have received a boost with coach Wayne Bennett declaring Origin and Test back-rower Gillett will overcome a minor neck injury to face the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium.

With Brisbane fielding one of the youngest front-rows in their history in 22-year-olds Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai Jr, the cool-headed experience of Glenn and Gillett on the edges is crucial.

The representative duo, who possess 398 games of NRL experience, were below-par in last week’s 34-12 loss to the Dragons but Civoniceva warned the Cowboys to be wary of a wounded Broncos pack.

“The Broncos forwards have the firepower to get the job done and I believe they will this week,” said Civoniceva, the 235-game Broncos legend.

“It’s crazy to write-off the Broncos after one loss when you have blokes like Gillett, Glenn and Sam Thaiday in their pack.

“People are getting carried away. I know I was involved in many Round 1 losses but you can’t use one bad performance as a guide for the rest of the season.

“There’s no doubt the guys have some work to do.

“They would have liked to have played better and smarter against the Dragons but there is a chance now to turn things around against the Cowboys.

“The Broncos are a proud club and they will want to fix up what happened in round one.”

The Broncos and Cowboys have produced some heart-stoppers since their 2015 grand-final epic and Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett is relishing the prospect of end-to-end action.

“There’s a great rivalry between the two clubs so I’m expecting it will be entertaining,” he said.

“I don’t know whether it will be close but it will be a good game of football.

“Both sides bring out the best in each other, that’s the way it’s been since I’ve been back here in my fourth year.”

Source: Courier Mail

Sorry petro but Glenn, gillet and Thaiday aren't the ones with firepower. Need the young blood to step up.

Yeah not arguing its a different situation mate and we were, I went to the Knights game which was the first game back, such a disappointment from the boys that day, great experience outside of that. The field was a damn sandbox and we suffered a lot of injuries for quite a while. The problem with Suncorp Stadium is it's a great experience and stadium for opposition teams to experience, one aspect I loved about QE2 stadium was it was quite the opposite. Our home crowd doesn't get involved much as we should, but that isn't helped that the Broncos don't do much to fire up the crowd prior to kick off either or during the match, which used to be common place.
Oh without a doubt. Playing at Suncorp is all the motivation our opponents need, and as you say, most of our fans are very much the quiet type, although that is also due to the Nazi PC rules from the Stadium management.
That said, it doesn't stop Queenslanders to make it an infernal stage against the NSW'kers. We need more of that mentality from the Broncos crowd.
Look at the NFL or Soccer in South America or Europe, and even if it's something to look forward to, the big teams footy stadiums and hostile home crowds impose respect and fear. We simply don't...

Anyway, my point was more about us being underdogs while playing at home against little brother.
I think only the Storm has ever earned the favourite tag playing the Broncos at Suncorp, but seeing the Cows and possibly other teams receive the same tag (and not by a small margin either), is a bad indicator of where we stand at the moment, because betting agencies don't care about rumours or media agendas... only their bottom line.

Sorry petro but Glenn, gillet and Thaiday aren't the ones with firepower. Need the young blood to step up.

Yeah I can’t rate the article, besides Gillett the other 2 are too far gone to have the impact we now need.

Disgraceful. The gates are opening at 5.00pm to show a Broncos Grand Final replay on the big screen....what a joke. I NEVER want to watch a replay of the 2015 Grand Final.

If this is true....

What the actual **** is wrong with our club? Who does this shit? Who shows a losing GF to their own fans and makes them miserable. Who the **** caters to opposition fans?

This alone (if true) is a sign of how fucked our club is atm. It's no longer about winning games. It's all about the "entertainment". No wonder our players don't give a **** and prance around like powderpuffs. Whoever made this decision needs to be fired asap.

Oh and let me guess the result of tonight's cancer. Another fucking GP with furston field goal.

If this is true....

What the actual **** is wrong with our club? Who does this shit? Who shows a losing GF to their own fans and makes them miserable. Who the **** caters to opposition fans?

This alone (if true) is a sign of how fucked our club is atm. It's no longer about winning games. It's all about the "entertainment". No wonder our players don't give a **** and prance around like powderpuffs. Whoever made this decision needs to be fired asap.

Oh and let me guess the result of tonight's cancer. Another fucking GP with furston field goal.
Woh man... It's at 5 o'clock, be lucky to have 100 people there

WAYNE Bennett has confirmed his final team for the blockbuster XXXX Derby against the North Queensland Cowboys.
Andrew McCullough will start his first game of the year at hooker after joining the fray against the Dragons after 20 minutes last week.
He did not play any pre-season trial matches as he finished off his rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction.
Sam Thaiday will be used from the bench, with Tevita Pangai to start at prop, while Tom Opacic will cover the backline from the interchange.

The match will kick off at 6.50pm, with plenty of Derby Deal seats - that include a match ticket and club membership - available here now.
BRONCOS NRL TEAM
1. Darius Boyd ©
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Jordan Kahu
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Tevita Pangai
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire
Interchange:
14. Sam Thaiday
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Korbin Sims
17. Tom Opacic
Coach: Wayne Bennett

Just realised that is from thursday.....with a 17 named already which is a bit strange cause usually on a thursday they still have a few extra reserves named, could easily change between now and game time I guess.

Woh man... It's at 5 o'clock, be lucky to have 100 people there

He isn't wrong though. I bet the cowboys wont show the storm grand final last year at their stadium when the fans are turning up for their game against the storm

Tipped the broncs. @Jedhead you were right, why throw away a lifetime of loyalty for a night of cheap thrills. Wonderful advice.
Exactly. Those Broncos supporters who tip against their own team to look,good in a tipping comp are not the true supporter. I mean what clown does that? What clown would even want to do that?

Broncs by 5. Roberts for a double. Lodge to make 150 plus meters. Glenn MoM. Kahu to kick a FG.

Whose fucking awful idea was that. I mean a group of Broncos employees must have sat around and had a discussion and decided it was a good idea. Absolutely beggars belief.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • TimWhatley
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • mrslong
  • davidp
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
  • Horseheadsup
  • Fitzy
  • Jedhead
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Fatboy
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ChewThePhatt
  • kiwibronco
  • dirtyharry
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.