PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

The Broncs made a huge tactical error last night but it is the fact it is the same tactical error over the last two seasons is the big concern. The team does not have the massive forwards other sides do, so they should be spreading the ball every tackle, play an expansive game. They have the players to do it...but they rarely if ever do. This team cannot play like a traditional team, they can't bash and barge up the middle, they are too easily tackled and driven back. They can't kick for field position, they don't have the halves for it. They can't do what traditional sides do, so why not try something different? play wide and play risky football. No one in the comp will expect it and some nights (since they rarely play in the day) it definitely won't come off but it can't be any worse than watching that horror show last night can it?

Exactly right, this is the style of play I remember from 2015. We need to be giving the ball to our forwards early with space so they can isolate defenders and get a quick play the ball at the very least.

Don't panic. Boys will be better for the run.

The dragqueens are going to be a very tough unit under Mary Mc, at home this year. Take nothing away from them.

Moving onto round 2.

Completions will improve when Macca plays more minutes. This is 90% of the area to improve on.

4th tackle ball in attacking 25. When it goes to a forward, should go to Lodge or TPJ, and never to Moose in the attacking zone.

Now and again, formally swap positions of Milf and Boyd.

Oates and Knik to bench for fresh strike power late in halves.

Kahu and Isaako to play out the season on the wing.

Consider Murphy or Dargan in a Shane Perry type role.

The Broncs made a huge tactical error last night but it is the fact it is the same tactical error over the last two seasons is the big concern. The team does not have the massive forwards other sides do, so they should be spreading the ball every tackle, play an expansive game. They have the players to do it...but they rarely if ever do. This team cannot play like a traditional team, they can't bash and barge up the middle, they are too easily tackled and driven back. They can't kick for field position, they don't have the halves for it. They can't do what traditional sides do, so why not try something different? play wide and play risky football. No one in the comp will expect it and some nights (since they rarely play in the day) it definitely won't come off but it can't be any worse than watching that horror show last night can it?

Wouldn't mind all the drop ball if it was trying to score some highlight reel worthy tries - not school boy error shit like last night.

It's ego, and lack of it, in some cases, things like someone mentioned, Thaiday picking out markers and big fellas instead of doing what he actually does well, which is rolling over smaller dudes on the edges. Shit passes from dummy half like he's actually good... Knik - nerves? Shy about being dominant?

Is an attempt to follow the game plan that is stifling? I don't think Wayne planned too much of the brilliance of earlier years to be honest, it was off script brilliance and 99% of it was back up support play from Milf and Hunt, keeping it alive, spreading it far more often.

We need a good win here to steady the ship early, otherwise I fear we might be in for a long year.

1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Roberts
4. Opacic
5. Issako
6. Milford
7. Niko
8. Lodge
9. McC
10. Pangai jr
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McGuire
14. Thaiday
15. Oates
16. Haas
17. Sims

If I were Bennett, Offa would be dropped already for Haas, Thaiday back to the bench with McC starting and Thaiday and Sims would have their ultimatums, perform or enjoy reserve grade. I'm frankly done with our already average pack being made worse by lazy players who are happy to coast along as if they have no expectation on them.

It's especially egregious from Thaiday, who it seems can't even lift for his retirement year.

Last edited:
Hass needs a run, I know he's young but the sooner we blood him the sooner he can be a weekly inclusion

and the sooner we can completely **** his development

and the sooner we can completely **** his development
Highly doubt giving him a run here and there will **** his development. If so then we have already fucked his development by giving him a run in the trials

Something a bit left field but I'm shocked it hasn't been talked about on here.... Oates to centre anyone?

Hear me out:

1. We don't lose his important metres out from our end
2. It gives him minutes closer in with his hole running potential utilised
3. It keeps him on the field for 80 minutes like wing, building his fitness for a potential bench/starting second row spot when bird comes in
4. He will be able to help the winger or even go to wing in our defensive 20 metres
5. It would definetly increase his value for an origin bench spot if he plays well here

And if people are worried about defence in that position, surely it can't be any worse then kahu...

Not saying I think it should or will happen, jut surprised its not been talked about as an option. I think opacic deserves a chance, his defence is worth gold after that last game

Highly doubt giving him a run here and there will **** his development. If so then we have already fucked his development by giving him a run in the trials

there is a big difference in giving him a run in the trials against weakened oppositions to making him a "weekly inclusion" in the toughest most competitive rugby league competition in the world ... he hasn't played ISC yet (in fact only named on the bench for his first game this weekend)

Let's see how he goes in his first competitive game playing against men instead of other kids

and if we need to rely on a young forward that hasn't even played reserve grade yet ... then our pack is in worse shape than i thought.

I believe he will eventually be the foundation of our pack ... but only if we develop him properly and not rush him ...

Have a look at the way we handled development of Shane Webcke, he didn't make his debut until he was 21 (Haas is only 19) ... but it is a different time ... fans see the Hype about a rookie player and how he is portrayed in the media, and want him rushed into the side at all costs (especially after a loss), even if those same fans have only see him play 20 mins in a trial against a very under-strength opponent

Something a bit left field but I'm shocked it hasn't been talked about on here.... Oates to centre anyone?

Because he isn't any better than Kahu defensively. He would give Kahu a run for his money.

He can get caught out too easily.

Boyd shouldn't be playing at all unless he is 100% fit, and on last night's performance, he looked way off that. Playing unfit in such a key role really does the team a disservice./

I can't blame Thaiday as much as some here. The criticism should be reserved for Bennett for such a stupid positional move.

The pack will move a lot better with Macca back, however, the key issue for me remains our halves. Knik and Milford need to work together a whole lot more to direct the attack on both sides with structure and discipline which was pretty much absent last night.

A bit of support play wouldn't go astray either. All in all, aren't we all making the same critical observations as we have been for the last 2 years. That's a real worry.

(Jack Bird - hurry up and get fit. How I'd love to see a ball playing lock and Moose back where he belongs and does so well - at prop).

I'm shocked it hasn't been talked about on here.... Oates to centre anyone?

I'm pretty sure @Sproj has been an advocate of that in the past ... but i don't think he would handle the defensive aspects of center

(Jack Bird - hurry up and get fit. How I'd love to see a ball playing lock and Moose back where he belongs and does so well - at prop).

You won't get to see that. Because Bird is playing centre when he comes back, that's been confirmed.

there is a big difference in giving him a run in the trials against weakened oppositions to making him a "weekly inclusion" in the toughest most competitive rugby league competition in the world ... he hasn't played ISC yet (in fact only named on the bench for his first game this weekend)

Let's see how he goes in his first competitive game playing against men instead of other kids

and if we need to rely on a young forward that hasn't even played reserve grade yet ... then our pack is in worse shape than i thought.

I believe he will eventually be the foundation of our pack ... but only if we develop him properly and not rush him ...

Have a look at the way we handled development of Shane Webcke, he didn't make his debut until he was 21 (Haas is only 19) ... but it is a different time ... fans see the Hype about a rookie player and how he is portrayed in the media, and want him rushed into the side at all costs (especially after a loss), even if those same fans have only see him play 20 mins in a trial against a very under-strength opponent
See Foordy that is not what I was implying. I was saying we should give him a run so he can become a weekly inclusion (in the future) weather that be next week or round 10 the sooner he gets a run the sooner he can potentially prove himself in the NRL which I believe he will have no problems doing.

You won't get to see that. Because Bird is playing centre when he comes back, that's been confirmed.
A couple more losses like last night and who knows what could happen.

See Foordy that is not what I was implying. I was saying we should give him a run so he can become a weekly inclusion (in the future) weather that be next week or round 10 the sooner he gets a run the sooner he can potentially prove himself in the NRL which I believe he will have no problems doing.

as i said, let's see how he goes in the reserve grade (which he hasn't played yet) before we even contemplate giving him a run in the top grade

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • Browny
  • IceWorks
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Howie
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.