PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I've seen Taumalolo go from beast mode to liability in the space of 3 rucks. Make him have to make 2-3 tackles in a row and he's absolutely spent.

As someone said earlier though we've seemed to handle him well the last few seasons. We always seem to get numbers on him before he can build momentum. We just have to watch out for when we have a retreating defence and the hooker deliberately plays it to the side of the mark to get the markers out of play, that's when they throw it to JT13 and he's most effective.

They made a good point on 360 in that why don't we swap Boyd and Milford. Would give us a dangerous fullback and would allow Boyd to play in a position where is declining speed won't be a liability.

Have to say, geez guys relax. We are only one game in with a new coach and we just played a very good storm outfit that were on from the outset. Give them time.

They made a good point on 360 in that why don't we swap Boyd and Milford. Would give us a dangerous fullback and would allow Boyd to play in a position where is declining speed won't be a liability.
It's been mentioned before but I can't remember the reasons Wayne refused to entertain the idea? Didn't Boyd say he wouldn't like the switch? Does Boyd have a kicking game?

It's been mentioned before but I can't remember the reasons Wayne refused to entertain the idea? Didn't Boyd say he wouldn't like the switch? Does Boyd have a kicking game?

I believe the reason Bennett never entertained the switch is two-fold. He had the confidence that Milford was the best person to be the 5/8. maybe added in is that amount of time invested in Milford.

The plan for Taumololo is the same as it is for all the big attacking players especially latrell Mitchell. Belt him early, belt him often.

true, and you have to do it for the entire game because somehow he is as fit and as fast as anyone else out there, even in the 80th minute.

Milford to Fullback is a bad idea, if we entered a game with Boyd & Nikorima as our playmakers we'd have comfortably the worst kicking game in the NRL, and possibly one of the worst in NRL history.

Let's just find a better Fullback and Halfback, that'll be easier than making Milford undo 4 years of training at Five-Eighth.

If we were going to do something like that, I'd prefer to move Bird into 5/8, Boyd at centre (where I think he can do a pretty good job) and Milford to fullback. Still wouldn't solve the lack of organisation, leadership and control around the park...

Milford to Fullback is a bad idea, if we entered a game with Boyd & Nikorima as our playmakers we'd have comfortably the worst kicking game in the NRL, and possibly one of the worst in NRL history.

Let's just find a better Fullback and Halfback, that'll be easier than making Milford undo 4 years of training at Five-Eighth.

just because Milford would be playing fullback, doesn't mean he can't kick ... we would still have the same 4 players in the spine

Kodi has been dominating Milford in terms of a running game in the last couple of years. Since midway through 2016 probably even. I dunno if he would recover it at fullback, or maybe he is just losing it.

just because Milford would be playing fullback, doesn't mean he can't kick ... we would still have the same 4 players in the spine

Never said he wouldn't be able to, just said it'd give us the worst playmakers in the comp. Having Milford at Fullback would weaken our team in almost every aspect, except MAYBE defensively, assuming Milford isn't scared of attempting to tackle players 1 on 1 and doesn't pretend to slip over or fall for dummies.

Kodi has been dominating Milford in terms of a running game in the last couple of years. Since midway through 2016 probably even. I dunno if he would recover it at fullback, or maybe he is just losing it.

I think it was more that we were trying to turn him into a game controlling half (which typically hasn't been his strength) and his decision making about when to run/pass/kick etc wasn't where it needed to be.

from those times when he made the correct decision to run, you could see he still has it.

Have to say, geez guys relax. We are only one game in with a new coach and we just played a very good storm outfit that were on from the outset. Give them time.

The storm didn’t play that well and the score line flatters us.

If we were going to do something like that, I'd prefer to move Bird into 5/8, Boyd at centre (where I think he can do a pretty good job) and Milford to fullback. Still wouldn't solve the lack of organisation, leadership and control around the park...
I agree. Bird has played there and been a mid range 5/8. Boyd would handle centre quite well I think. As for Milford at fullback, mmmm you'd have to also think he would relish the lighter tackling load, a bit more space and the chance to see where deficiencies are in the defence.

Without real changes to the team we definitely need more spark from McCullough and before anyone smacks me about Macca I'd just ask them to remember the massive change Granville used to bring as a sub. When he came on everything got faster in the offense, it was so noticeable this place buzzed with posts from members. I want to see both Macca and Knik create uncertainty by darting out rather than a simple step and pass. No team we play expects McCullough to burst from dummy half, they just know he doesn't. It's time for him to back himself as we all will if he changes it up. We can forgive a few ineffectual efforts if it adds to our dynamic. I'd love to see him play more like the maligned Farrah or Cook.

A team that had almost 90% possession for the first 20 minutes and 95% completion rate for the first half and not much worse for the second didn’t play that well?
They cooked some point scoring opportunities that they would normally capitalise on.

The Storm butchered one point scoring opportunity, but they balanced that up by making far less mistakes than they normally do. There's a misconception that Melbourne are very disciplined with their ball control, but the facts show otherwise and they usually have periods where they'll make mistakes inside their own half. They rarely gave the Broncos a sniff, with the only error of note being the Bromwich intercept fiasco.

While I agree that the Broncos were flattered by the scoreline, Melbourne were great and if they continue in that rich vein of form they'll win the competition easily.

Active Now

• marw
  • Cavalo
  • Fozz
  • jarro65
  • HVbronco
  • Pablo
  • mitch222
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.