PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Cowboys played well tonight.

Started off slow but they improved as the game went on and easily beat the Dragons. This isn't going to be an easy game for us, even with JT not there.

Hopefully TPJ can replicate his performance from last year. Taumalolo will tear us a new one if we don't contain him.

Wish we'd put Kahu to fullback and offed Boyd. He was so much more convincing this round and I always thought he showed more defensive caution than Boyd. Cowboys pack is going to annihilate us and their kicking game shames our halves .

Best way to contain Taumalolo is to make him tackle
The saints didn’t do that tonight at all
They badly missed de Bellin and ah mau up the middle tonight

Wish we'd put Kahu to fullback and offed Boyd. He was so much more convincing this round and I always thought he showed more defensive caution than Boyd. Cowboys pack is going to annihilate us and their kicking game shames our halves .
To me Kahu looked very average tonight, apart from that brilliant try saving tackle. Although I wouldn't say the cows threw a whole lot at the drags or vice versa.

Morgan and Tmol pretty much doing everything for them tonight, but their attack inside the 20 looked very pedestrian tonight

Last edited:
To me Kahu looked very average tonight, apart from that brilliant try saving tackle. Although I wouldn't say the cows threw a whole lot at the drags or vice versa.

Morgan and Tmol pretty much doing everything for them tonight, but their attack inside the 20 looked very pedestrian tonight

If i was a cows fan i'd be reasonably happy considering the floods up there wouldnt have helped their preparation. Still be very dissapointed if we dont flog them.

If i was a cows fan i'd be reasonably happy considering the floods up there wouldnt have helped their preparation. Still be very dissapointed if we dont flog them.
Well I'm reasonably happy, suggest you prepare yourself to be disappointed [emoji16][emoji6][emoji23]

I think attacking inside the 20 will always be the least effective area for the Cows this season. They can't rely on their monster pack and quick play the ball, they have to rely on their poor outside backs.
WHen we play them, we should give away a few sneaky penalties here, and wait for the refs to even it up later.

Last edited:

Average and not much to offer in attack but was safe and put his body on the line more than once. I want to see some more of that from Boyd. On that note I bet Widdop was relieved when Lolo threw the pass rather than annihilating him to score in that break.
I think the cows entire forward pack had much more go forward than ours, it's just that Lolo stole the show and cracked 300m

Last edited:
That's basically what I'm getting at... I can't recall a fluid attacking movement in the game (as in a structured sweeping movement).

Asiata was brilliant with his ball playing at the line, but they were very rusty. McGuire dropping it cold, Matt Scott looked totally out of place and Tmol looked lost on that left edge (from memory he played right edge in the juniors).

Making meters they were good but inside the 20 they were lost. TMM will be feeling the heat from Clifford if he continues to play like that.

If TPJ starts next week we could build a quick lead and that could do it. Drags also looked very poor tonight

Last edited:

I was thinking the exact same. It'd be interesting if the same marking criteria was used for our own players that they use for opposition players. Mistakes are forgotten about, and 1 above average play is talked about like it will make the highlight reel for years. With our players it's the reverse

If taumalolo plays on the left edge against us I'll be pretty nervous. Think Tariq Sims finals Rd 1 last year. He could really expose or weak right edge defence. Hopefully Gillett goes back to the right edge for that game.

I was thinking the exact same. It'd be interesting if the same marking criteria was used for our own players that they use for opposition players. Mistakes are forgotten about, and 1 above average play is talked about like it will make the highlight reel for years. With our players it's the reverse
When I was watching the game I noticed that he wasn't making the hard runs. For the broncs last year he was really ripping in with his kick returns and dummy half runs.

Tonight he kind of went back to his former self with those lacklustre runs back into the line and zero post contact meters.

Also saw zero from him in the attacking 20m.

Yes he was solid under the bomb but he's always been a very safe fullback. Usually he's very good on the sweep, but I'll put that down to a lack of cohesion with a new team more than anything.

I can't see how anyone could come out of that game thinking jeez I wish we had Kahu back here. I can't see how he'd replace anyone in our back 5, outside of injuries

Mmmmm, I admit your optimism has me baffled! Without Lodge and Roberts I thought we'd be at decent odds to beat them. We are still light on for experienced battle hardened frontrowers and the cowpokes seem to have us covered. Our halves are struggling, our fullback is struggling, our hooker is plodding again. I just can't see where the optimism is warranted. That said it's only one round in and our boys are fit as fiddles.

My biggest concern which I assume most people can see is how bad we are at being led around the park. I don’t think it’s all kodis fault either. Milford has to take some of the blame. These two have been working together for a couple of years now and we just look lost in attack half the time.

I look at how well the Rabbits got into position last night in attack and how well they were led around the park. It’s only round 1 and they already just look miles ahead of us. I have this really bad feeling that the Nikorima / Milford combination will just be the same year in year out. Moments of brilliance during the season but when it comes to the pointy end and the good teams we will drop our bundle and be horrible.

It also helped that the Roosters were absolutely horrible. They dropped the ball every second run.

Mmmmm, I admit your optimism has me baffled! Without Lodge and Roberts I thought we'd be at decent odds to beat them. We are still light on for experienced battle hardened frontrowers and the cowpokes seem to have us covered. Our halves are struggling, our fullback is struggling, our hooker is plodding again. I just can't see where the optimism is warranted. That said it's only one round in and our boys are fit as fiddles.

I think the Cows are understandably lacking a bit of cohesion whereas i think we let ourselves down a little against the storm and we wont play like that again next week.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.