Round 2 - Broncos vs. Dragons - Post Game Thread

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
I'm very worried for next week. That ride hand defensive line not moving will be our end. Hodges deserved motm. Unfortunately for my dream team he saved three tries I believe by knocking the ball down and one to get sin binned. Every other player was great and although currently I like hunt the spine shuffle to sub out macca worked really well I just hope Gillette goes okay in the centres. Mariana didn't play badly guys, he didn't add anything but didn't have a negative effect. Reed remains the only question mark for me but I'm unsure as to how replacing him will effect defence. If our right side defence is magically fixed next week (particularly minus Hodges) in addition to our kick chase we will be hard to beat. Especially now that our forwards are gaining metres. I think hook's hand was forced with Glenn being the metre eater as neither thaiday or parker are making any. Although that means Gillette and thaiday need to hit the hole well. Hopefully hala does amazingly in qcup and can replace moose. We need his metres.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Great effort. Extremely proud of the boys for the heart they showed under the circumstances and the relative ease with which they scored tries in the scarce moments we had possession of the ball.

I find it amazing how negative most people are about what should be a celebrated victory.
Yes, the Dragons attack isn't very good, but we made them look ordinary, and if anyone saw last week's game against the Storm, the picture wasn't that different from today. It was only at the end that the Storm put them away and only via long range interceptions.
Maybe not all is well, but this win has to be one of the more satisfying and motivating you could get, but yeah... I'm sure most people will keep finding excuses for the opposition when we beat them.

This team is clearly still gelling together, especially with the introduction of Prince in the halves and Norman at fullback. Our attack is already at a whole different level from last season, and will get better, as will our right side defense hopefully.
Gillett and especially Hodges did make a difference and cut short various dangerous incursions down that side.

As opposed to last week, I don't have much to complain about individually, even about Maranta, who did some good defensive work. Reed was very good in defense as well, but FMD... How slow is he?
Hoffman was awesome, and I really think centre is his spot. Hopefully Hodges hammy will give him the opportunity to play there, although Justin appeared hopeful of playing next week during his interview at the end of the game.

I'm really not worried about the kick chase. While I found last week's chase on Taufua disgraceful, I can totally understand how today was much more a case of really tired legs after all that defense. Besides, as someone said, kick chase is something that can be fixed easily.

The forwards didn't get much of a chance to lay a platform, but they certainly rolled forward when they were allowed by a pair of nazi referees (especially in the first half, with very harsh penalties), and that was a joy to watch, especially Hannant and Thaiday making metres and bending the line.

All in all, a performance to build upon and one that gives me confidence for the game against the chooks in Sydney!

POTS for me:
3- Gillett (involved in everything, tackling at will and well, and still plenty of energy to attack the line at the end of the game. Deserved a try!)
2- Hoffman (that moment in the end goal was defining, as were his runs. He will make a hell of a centre soon!)
1- Norman (feel a little bit vindicated about Norman at fullback. He truly brings an extra ball-playing option in attack, and was where he needed to be in defense. Too bad about that dropped bomb in an otherwise excellent game. Hopefully he learns to return the ball a bit better...)

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
BHQ logic means we should be toasting a premiership after that win.

Memorable win for sure. Reminds me of the win versus Souths last year after Yow Yeh got injured.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I thought a lot of people over-reacted when we lost last week, yes our defence was shocking in the 2nd half, but there was a lot to take out of the first half. With Scott Prince in the side we look much better in attack & after a few more rounds we'll be much improved. Despite the below par performance of the Dragons (I think a lot if that has to do with Hodges) we defended really well which will give us plenty of confidence for next week.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
BHQ logic means we should be toasting a premiership after that win.

Memorable win for sure. Reminds me of the win versus Souths last year after Yow Yeh got injured.

I agree totally - it was a memorable win in the circumstances. And I am also encouraged to see some combinations starting to emerge, Gillett returning to some form and Prince looks like he his warming to his task. I also confess that I thought Thaiday played well at prop although he is still best running out wide.. and Wallace looked most un-Walace like in that he showed some real energy and spark.

With McGuire out I still want to see Parker in the prop rotation with Stagg at starting lock. I actually thought Stagg played pretty well and his defence and relative mobility will be a bonus.

I am however still concerned over this side's fitness. Reed is one big example and despite his return to form, Gillett looks fat.

N

nostradamus

NYC Player
Mar 13, 2013
Gee some of us are hard to please on this thread. Defence was outstanding you can only play whats in front of you and the dragons threw plenty at us.. It may be only rd 2 but as an overall team performance that was a great confidence boost to the season ahead after last weeks capitulation. Bring on the CHHOOOOKS.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Beale had a shocker. Always a silly mistake or two in his game. Always gets in the way of his own players as well.
Lockyer anyone? Nightingale tonight.
Not sad to see him gone.

Yeah but apparently we were gonna be screwed without him lol

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Why not....?

Other than Hodges doing his hammy (which I don't think he was playing fullback at the time?)

Hodges at FB, Wallace at dummy half....Prince at half and Norman at 5/8 was working pretty good.

One of the better games from Wallace I think we've all seen for a looonnnnng time......

Typing that must have hurt mate :)

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
You're not enjoying the win. Wallace had a decent game tonight. You were hoping he failed.

No he wasn't, he even complimented him before. Seriously just crawl back in your hole. I didn't appreciate how good the off season was when you weren't around you Gronk

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I will enjoy the win, sometimes from ugly wins good things happen because they start to believe in themselves. Kick chase would be the only thing that gave me heart failure
BTW I thought it was the Roosters next week not Storm

It is. People's pessimism can get in the way of their memory

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Awww you two. Since when are you guys BFF?
Its kinda cute. Though I miss you two lovebirds fighting

Yeah and I miss when this forum had only people that contributed to the discussion instead of a troll spends most his time gushing about the footballer his stalking

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Wonderful game, just what the doctor ordered.

I thought Prince was excellent, he was running to the line before passing (something Wallace needs to do more) and the combinations were working well. Hoffman was fantastic on the wing and was playing like a Centre (which IMO is a better place for him, having him on the wing allows him to do that. A little like Lote and Wendell and Uate. Refer to the Dolphins game he played when he was dropped last year).

Obviously St. George struggle to attack well for some reason but they had their chances and the Broncs were excellent in keeping them out. Was it just me or was there a penalty bias there? I mean the count seems ok but some of the calls were a little skewed IMO.

I think Hodges is ok just got cold but they will probably rest him anyway. Also, although it is unfortunate to lose the "Big Show" I think this will force some of the lesser forwards to play up to prove themselves. Gillet looked much more confident and although still slacking a bit Norman and McCullough seemed a little more switched on about their roles and the movement of the ball. Glenn needed more ball and Reed was the one person looking to have a confidence problem. His break was great but he clearly doubted his skill and pace and ability to find a bit of space for the support that was coming and ended up tripping himself.

Also, how great was it to see a busting try from Hannant? That was superb! We haven't really had that from a Front Row forward since Hala came and went.

To be honest the pace of the game this early in the competition it's no wonder they were tired. You really can't train for that very well. That was 80 minutes of full on footy there was very little stoppage and the ball was in the opposition hand for long stretches of time.

Also, can someone please tell me how the shoulder charge rule applies to attacking players, for example those ball runners that lead with the shoulder? It seems like this is the same thing as a defensive shoulder charge to me.

Cheers guys.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
vlcsnap-2013-03-16-17h21m20s131.png
vlcsnap-2013-03-16-17h23m21s72.png

... maybe I'm wrong ... but I thought this was illegal

Last edited:
C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
vlcsnap-2013-03-16-17h21m20s131.png
vlcsnap-2013-03-16-17h23m21s72.png

... maybe I'm wrong ... but I thought this was illegal

I thought the same thing at the time. Only thing that saved him was it wasn't his elbow that made contact with his face.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
I thought the same thing at the time. Only thing that saved him was it wasn't his elbow that made contact with his face.

... also everyone else was preoccupied with the slap that Moose gave to Fien ...

Active Now

• bazza
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Canga
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.