Round 2 - Raiders vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Both teams sucked but we sucked less so. We are very lucky we got Canberra on such an off night.

This was really a Jekyll and Hyde performance tonight, at least as far as the attack is concerned, because we stood tall in defense and our forwards were absolutely awesome!
Our ball control in the first half was absolutely horrible, and improved massively in the second half, where we were on top of the Raiders for most of the 40 mins, and they never looked like scoring.

A big thank you to Furner for bringing in Orford and sending Sam Williams back to the U20’s! icon_thumbs_u

Cannot believe the amount of bashing I've read in this thread, but more so in the live match discussion... Fair dinkum, I can understand the heat of the moment, but some comments were really far out there. [icon_non

Maybe we should remember we played against the most potent team in the front row and with probably two of the best wingers under the high ball.
Ferguson is a little b!tch, but he's IMO the best in the air of the comp and Gagai was left exposed every single time but one by his centre. To make things worse, it's Beale who pushes Gagai just enough to make him miss the ball in the Canberra try, and after the initial barrage, his confidence was shot to bits and he piled on the errors under the high ball. It seemed contagious to the otherwise pretty secure Hoffman and Yow Yeh.

Yow Yeh had a really good game (that try was out of this world [icon_ee [eusa_clap.gi ), won this battle against Vidot for the Qld jersey, and was well helped by a Jack Reed that more than deserves the remaining centre spot when Hodgo returns.

Like most of you said, it’s time for Macca to play 80 mins. He improved a lot this week, but still attempts that telegraphed dummy too often, and I’m sure he could do with the confidence of not having to continuously fight for his spot. Hunt needs to go to Qcup, play in his natural halfback position and become a valid option for the halves if and when necessary.

Locky had one of the worst games I can recall, and was even outplayed by Wallace, despite him still needing improvement, especially in the short kick dept, where he used to excel. That movement to the line with the short pass for the Gillett try was excellent, and demonstrated that when the forwards do their jobs, and run proper lines, Wallace will get them through holes!

Excellent game by Glenn, Parker, Tronc, Thaiday and McGuire, pretty much stopping their big pack in their tracks, while displaying with solid defense and go forward. Too bad Te’o didn’t aim up, but that head knock probably didn’t help either…

Good win, only bad thing about the night is that i lost my license on the way back from the game [icon_shady [icon_shady

Big Pete said:
With Hodges back, Reed to left centre. When Hodges is eventually sidelined bring in Copley.

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

I've got my fingers crossed for a full season... as long as he's ready to rock and roll from round 16-26 and in good form... with the young ones gelling more... you never know. If Locky and Hodgo were 2-3 years younger (and we keep the current team)... I'd dead set say title within 3.

Courier mail reporting that wallace had a great game. Can anyone explain that to me.?

Defence late in first half won us the game.

We go into the sheds 10-6 down and we lose.

Canberra's ineptness in attack also helped.

Poor under the high ball, what was with Gagai? Something that seems to be an issue for fullbacks playing out of position at wing.

Yow Yeh's try - glad to see we had a game winning try not from Lockyer

Joff Hoffman - he's bulked up hasn't he?

We were still dusty and at times reasonably shyte in a few areas of our game, but our commitment in defense (especially on our line) was top notch and, more importantly, effective. That's extremely pleasing to see in Round 2.

Happy with the improvement from last week and the two points that came with it. Although a couple of the outside backs should consider attending the Phil Tufnell Center for Kids Who Can't Catch Good and Who Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

what are you people talking about? Gagai put in one of the worst NRL performances i have ever seen every single time the ball came near him he was a liability. he is completely out of his depth.Whats the excuse? oh ferguson is best in the air in NRL so not gagai's fault???? ferguson didn't even take those catches over gagai, they went straight through gagai's hands! and what about the other ones he dropped cold? Yeh youll all flame me and say nah, not completely his fault etc etc. Ok lets play him next week against the titans, what do you think the titans will do? Bring Kemp in he has the experience and the talent. Copley? what are you guys on? he plays 20 minutes because he happened to be down there and now he is the front runner to replace gagai for wing spot? copley isnt even a winger he is a centre. honestly sometimes on here its like an alternate reality.

jjoyce said:
what are you people talking about? Gagai put in one of the worst NRL performances i have ever seen every single time the ball came near him he was a liability. he is completely out of his depth.Whats the excuse? oh ferguson is best in the air in NRL so not gagai's fault???? ferguson didn't even take those catches over gagai, they went straight through gagai's hands! and what about the other ones he dropped cold? Yeh youll all flame me and say nah, not completely his fault etc etc. Ok lets play him next week against the titans, what do you think the titans will do? Bring Kemp in he has the experience and the talent. Copley? what are you guys on? he plays 20 minutes because he happened to be down there and now he is the front runner to replace gagai for wing spot? copley isnt even a winger he is a centre. honestly sometimes on here its like an alternate reality.

Pretty sure everyone has bagged Gagai over his performance last night icon_thumbs_u

As for Kemp, how about we see how he is going in Qcup before we rush him up, He spent most of last year injured after all. Copely stood up last night in the short amount of game time he had and showed that if needed he can do his job.

but anyway McGuire MOTM!! **** yes

I have to say I was very impressed with our defense last night. The first few sets of the Raiders we had good line speed and were keeping our line very well. Our defense certainly won us the game, and the attacking confidence will come if we continue to show that kind of commitment in defense.

I actually thought Wallace had a good game. Obviously not late '09 standard, but I saw some signs, during his purple patch he was working the inside passes to the forwards really well and he started to get that going again last night, which played a part in the Gillett try. Much improved.

Gagai was very disappointing, but my goodness Read looks the goods. :)

rush kemp in? hes played 60 nrl games and trained all preseason on left wing.

Bucking Beads said:
Courier mail reporting that wallace had a great game. Can anyone explain that to me.?

Well it wasn't really a game where the halves could stand out. Was all about defence and forwards. He steered us around well, and probably the best of the 4 halves on the field. Obviously he needs to improve but it was a step in the right direction at least.

Too much negativity towards Beale - he mightn't not have done anything exceptional within the first two rounds but he has been fairly solid IMO.

Jack Reed has been a great find however!

What a horrible performance from both sides. We don't have a lot a points in us apart from a bit a individual brilliance here and there. Gillett is the only one who looks likely to create something for himself.
I suppose we can't expect too much from a young winger named gayguy but he needs to learn how to catch real quick because he's going get plenty thrown his way.

Dexter said:
I suppose we can't expect too much from a young winger named gayguy but he needs to learn how to catch real quick because he's going get plenty thrown his way.

That is by far the lamest piece of crap I have read on this site in a long while.

The Broncos won a game they haven't won in 6 years. I don't care how they won it but good on them for getting the 2 points.

It was a joke, don't take it so personally.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.