vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said somewhere else, I can't wait to see what Bennett does with the team after Friday night, and I can't wait to see how we handle what looks to me like a very good Sharks outfit - with a very strong pack.

Oates replacing Whitchurch would be good to see.

I thought Kahu was pretty good in his first full 80 min game at fullback. He was pretty good under the high ball and only dropped one. To be fair, the one he dropped was an ugly kick and it swirled away from him a little as it came down. He didn't have much attacking opportunity but neither did the rest of the team

Last edited:
Surely Whitchurch has to be dropped it was a nothing selection, if thaiday was flogged for the three penalties then Whitchurch is dropped for conceding Two tries.

sharks aren't known for their cross field kicks unlike South Sydney so i see Vidot coming in for maranta, he just offers more.

Maaca to play 80 I think the heat got to him in that game and Oates comes into the team, he has that much skill, strength and versatility that he has to be in there

and more minutes from McGuire and Parker after their first game

My team would be:

1- Kahu
2- Oates
3- Copley
4- Hodges
5- Vidot
6- Milford
7- Hunt
8- Moose
9- Macca
10-Blair (he was much better than I expected him to be)
11- Glenn
12- Gillett
13- Parker (and for heaven sake, leave him there!)

14- Parcell
15- Thaiday
16- Dodds
17- Garbutt/Wallace/Ofa...

I'm tipping against the Broncos until I see that Bennett realises that this bash them up the middle crap doesn't work, and passing is how you win games.
You need to bash it up the middle to allow you the opportunities to pass.

Is our pack better than any other team? I'm sure it should be but won't be with the slow motion service of our number 9. Watch Granville carve up for the Cows. Let's how Parcell and/or Nikorima blow the door down in ISC this year.
Granville is a defensive liability and is not the number one hooker at the Cowboys yet

Anyone actually see how Vidot went? All I know is he played the first half at prop and second half on the wing. According to 1910 his wing game was typical metre-crunching but seemingly not much else? The sticking point you'd assume would be error rate.

Anyone actually see how Vidot went? All I know is he played the first half at prop and second half on the wing. According to 1910 his wing game was typical metre-crunching but seemingly not much else? The sticking point you'd assume would be error rate.

That link I posted in the ISC thread shows the whole game. It was hard to gauge metres from the camera angle but he was involved. So was Chris Walker actually. Definitely looks like he has something to add to that team.

Aw I think the Sharks losing makes this clash even harder. There'll be two desperate teams who want to turn around disappointing round 1 losses.

After watching the game I'm pretty sure we can win comfortably. We got flogged and will want to redeem ourselves. Cronulla are a rabble, they've got points in them and a strong forward pack but I don't think they're as good a team as we are. Barba looked like Barba, he's not worth superstar money anymore and shouldn't be given the lead playmaking role, but he's a smart enough player to capitalise and I fear he'll be up for a huge game to prove a point.

Last edited:
Daniel Vidot set for NRL recall at prop for Brisbane Broncos as Wayne Bennett rings changes

DANIEL Vidot has opened up on the pain of being dropped by Wayne Bennett but the master coach could recall him this week after watching his impressive front-row debut for Ipswich.

Bennett will make changes for Round 2 after their forward pack was dominated by South Sydney with Test veteran and former captain Sam Thaiday expected to be relegated to the bench for Matt Gillett.

Vidot is battling Mitch Garbutt to replace the suspended James Gavet for Brisbane’s clash with Cronulla and Ben Barba this Friday.

Melbourne Storm recruit Garbutt was solid for Souths Logan on Sunday, scoring a barnstorming try in the second half to state his case for the NRL team.

However, Newcastle recruit Joe Boyce outshone him in the Magpies backrow.

20-year-old prodigy Corey Oates was also excellent for the Central Capras in his first game of the year.

Round 1 Broncos bolter Aaron Whitchurch is on the chopping block after making two errors in his three runs against South Sydney with Kodi Nikorima in the frame to replace him.

Bennett was close to playing Nikorima in Round 1 but considering their team lacked forward punch and Andrew McCullough is an 80-minute hooker, Bennett could again opt for a four forward bench.

Vidot deserves to be recalled based on his performance for Ipswich and will bring the hit-up metres Brisbane wished they had last week against South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs made almost 500 more metres than the Broncos, exposing Brisbane’s lack of grunt.

Vidot finished last season averaging 165m, the most of any back in the competition.

He told The Courier-Mail he is happy to become a prop if it means wearing the Broncos jersey again.

“I would have loved to be there for Corey Parker’s 300th game because it was a big occasion and it hurt to be on the sideline for that,” he said.

“It definitely hurt me. I have been a Broncos fan since I was a youngster and I always will be so now I have to keep my head down and do my best and hopefully something happens in the next couple of weeks.

“I will leave that for Wayne to decide.

“It was a different experience in the middle but I had fun in there and I enjoyed it.

“I am a go with the flow kind of guy and I don’t mind where I play. If the team wants me there I’ll give my best.

“You are doing the up and back a lot more in the middle which was beneficial for me.

“I think I lost a couple of kilos just playing in the middle out there.”

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...tt-rings-changes/story-fniabm4i-1227254095690

Last edited:
Vidot for prop? When's the last time a winger went to prop?

To be honest I don't mind the idea, he's as strong as most props are and I'd be very interested to see how he goes.

I'm pretty sure [MENTION=1917]Ari Gold[/MENTION] called for him to be prop at some point last season.

Last edited:
I definitely think it could work. For a prop he'd have a lot of speed and athleticism which seems to favour forwards in the modern game. How likely it is he'd succeed there I don't know though.

The idea of him as a bench prop is pretty decent, he always makes ~10 metres per run, I'm fine with it.

Looks like we might be seeing..

1. Kahu
2. Copley
3. Reed
4. Hodges (c)
5. Maranta
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Thaiday
16. Dodds
17. Vidot

Stronger than our week 1 team imo.

I don't see why he would get him to shed weight and then use him at prop..

Didn't he sign Blair and Gavet because we lacked size in the pack?

I don't see why he would get him to shed weight and then use him at prop..

Didn't he sign Blair and Gavet because we lacked size in the pack?

He's still bigger than half the props in the NRL, he probably didn't plan on having to play him at prop, but due to Gavet getting suspended and Wayne obviously not liking Garbutt for some reason, he might have to

I read that article and I thought surely not but then I thought he's exactly like tony Williams was when he started out, a slow winger with bad hands but strong.

Not trying to insult his skills but his agility and speed a below par for a winger yet would be troubling enough for a front rower plus no one can dispute his strength and I could see him putting a good hit on which someone bloody needs to do.

Worth a try but either way I reckon he should be brought back into the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.