PRE-GAME Round 20 - Broncos vs Cowboys

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I appreciate your work with these videos @Super Freak but they are kind of depressing getting constant reminders of how far our side has fallen.

How far? How depressing? If there's one term in the NRL lexicon that is apt it is: surrender

Then:
For : 574 and Against : 379

Now:

For : 252 and Against : 592

🤬

Last edited:
How far? How depressing? If there's one term in the NRL lexicon that is apt it is: surrender

Then:
For : 574 and Against : 379

Now:

For : 252 and Against : 592

🤬

If we start cheering when we concede points and get angry when we score, it would actually be more enjoyable than 2015. Just gotta make the best out of every situation.

Got a few back this week so we may be able to field a first grade 17... so why not throw together a team list just for you @Sproj

1 Darius
2 Arthars
3 Coates
4 Herbie
5 Kennar
6 Staggs
7 Dearden
8 Kennedy
9 Turps may be back??
10 Haas
11 Riki
12 Glenn
13 Carrigan

14 Paix
15 Offa
16 Teo (probably... would probably prefer Bullemor, but the coach doesn't seem to trust him with minutes.. Maybe Hoppa to relieve Carrigan at lock?)
17 Oates

Issako may also be close to a return, but hasn't played in a long time... could be an option on the wing over Arthars

I liked what I saw with Staggs in the 6 and it works two fold by giving Dearden some help in the spine. It also allows us to play Coates at right center (his preferred position) although he had a scratchy game tonight.

Riki jumps into the right second row with Glenn moving back to the left. Fifita out injured.

It would create a very young right edge of Staggs, Riki, Coates and Kennar, but I think Riki has enough energy to keep up with the defensive duties... and Staggs looked reasonably comfortable tonight in defence. Was sliding well and shutting down Jai and Gutho for the most of it... eels forced to go right and get some love from Oates (please dear God... I never want to see him in the 2 jersey again).

Dearden back to the left edge (which I believe he played for Wynnum last year?). Unfortunately he will only have Glenn to utilise... but with Herbie and Arthars we might be able to see if they can defend a bit better. Boyd can also utilise his sweep on the left so doesn't always need as many weapons. Glenn can run a solid line for Dearden to utilise as well. Oates can also come off the bench later on to replace Glenn. He's trash on the wing, but I think he's much more solid as a back rower and runs a good line.

The middle is still a real struggle with Kennedy having to start... I think he goes alright, but he's a little hit miss and can get caught in the ruck with his defence. Haas coming back will help a lot and Offa is now playing for his future so he should bring something off the bench. Teo probably gets that last spot on the bench and may be ok with the final home game of the year to give us 15-20mins in the middle.

I think if it's a dry night then we should win provided Staggs plays in the 6... I don't think Gamble will be able to play due to the 6 day turnaround (so disappointing not being able to get a good look at him against parra) and concussion protocols, which would only leave us with SOS or Croft... both of them are miles out of form and provide very little assistance to Dearden. Staggs getting his hands on the ball on a dry night would get us some points.

The NRL injury list also has Turpin returning this week... his inclusion would be massive, as he would bring intensity in the middle defence to give us some aggression in the line speed and potentially throw cows off their game early.
I don't mind that team. Our centres are weak in defence but what's changed really from the side that will be picked? Plus staggs' energy in attack might be useful closer to the ball.
Not using both sides of the ruck might be an issue and it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on dearden, but again what's new?
I just hope we learn from this season, and to be fair, with limited resources, almost no confidence in the team, I think gentle has gotten the team going in a positive direction (albeit in microbial steps that are hardly the stuff to give us much hope for the next season).
If our new coach can temper some of the tiny positives from these unfolding disasters, perhaps we can hope to be competitive in the next year. These positives being the exposed resilience of the likes of dearden, staggs, carrigan or the shaping of something that at least resembles a functioning team from wreckage of poor form and a hideous injury toll gives me some optimism for better times ahead. I'll admit it's pretty blind optimism that makes a Donald Trump supporter look rational but none the it's there for me.

I think we will win this because it is Darius's swansong and the team will really pull out all stops to send him out a winner, and rightly so. Also in that mix is the desire (yes, that word) to do everything to avoid the poon, and to stop the Cows from gloating about that and thus doing everything they can to stick the knife in. As for the team, I think gentle Gentle will go with the tried and true (lol). I can't see him experimenting at all, so for example, Croft will be 5/8, particularly given he picked there before he was KO'd. As well, my prediction is that Oates will have a blinder, so we can disregard everything I have said.

Boyd
Oates
Staggs
Herbie
Kennar
Croft (subject to further hip drops at training)
Dearden
Offa
Luke
Haas
T'eo
Glenn
Patty

Paix or Turps
Kennedy
Coates/Hopoate (head scratching)
Riki

Broncos by 22/30/34 but not 59

Last edited:
You wouldn’t believe it if there wasn’t this video evidence but Corey Oates has caught a kick before.
I would love to live in the alternative universe where we win the grand final and things only get better from there. Hell I think even not making the Grand Final would have probably been better cause it still would have been considered a successful season without the heartache.

One of @Kimlo's favourite games and one of the rare highlights on what was a trying season. I still remember the confusion over Oates' selection on the wing. He primarily came up playing centre/second row in 20s and the move was considered extremely curious. To Hook's credit, Oates' made a fine fist of the position and it would be a familiar sight for the Broncos for 2015-2019.

That is one of my career highlights of Hodges. Absolute champion, awesome to watch that again.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Mick_Hancock
  • RolledOates
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.