/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I think its a culmination of issues

• The impact of origin this year has been huge.
  • McCullouch injuries
  • Left side injuries
  • Attitude.

Whilst I will echo the choruses of others saying the penultimate issue with this football team is the formation of the forward pack, this very same forward pack got us to an almost win in a GF. Seems to me the biggest reason is why can it not emulate last years result?

Whether we as fans like it or not this pack isn't designed to dominate others or routinely get over the advantage line, it's about middle workhorses who defend to the whistle and hold the line at all costs. When their playing well they will get fast play the balls & offloads, when they are playing bad they will concede ridiculous meters, provide poorly timed offloads and look slow and lethargic in the ruck.

Seems the answer to salvaging this season is to find out what's different in the teams mentality from last year, because whilst i particularly hate seeing other teams forwards bully us week in week out, the strategy did work last year, no reason why it can't work again this year. That's Bennett's job, find that problem and fix it.

I got mail from a guy at the titans that the McGuire leaking info scandal is a lot deeper than reported. Massive disharmony within the team. If you look at the date when this went down, it coincides with our fall from grace.

While I believe the 2016 Broncos are done and dusted, I still think the squad has a premiership in it and it doesn't require that many changes moving forward.

In regards to tonight's game, it seemed like business as usual in the early stages. The Broncos typically don't start quickly, they usually just like to get through their sets, absord whatever their opposition throw at them and capitilise on an error or a penalty as it comes to them.

The Broncos thought they had that when Blake lost the ball. However, they got caught not following a basic fundamental and Blake was given clear passage to the line.

It may have been a 12 point turn-around and they never recovered after that.

A lot of key players chose the worst evening to have their worst performance and in the end it just took it's toll on the side. They could not buy a repeat set, they could not score points in succession and Penrith were given a fairly comfortable ride a a result.

The big issue with the Broncos is getting their confidence back. Ever since the Tigers game, they've looked completely rattled and just haven't put enough wins together. I think they hid behind the Origin excuse, hoping they could distance themselves from the form, but it's real and now they've got to address it.

They've got about six weeks to get their act together heading into 2017. I'm looking forward to what they're able to dish up.

There really is no quick fix to this, other than turning it around slowly by coming away with a hard fought, scrappy win, where we play to the full 80th minute, and grind our way to victory. We need that sort of dour affair, where we are constantly turning up for each other. String together a few of those wins, and the players regain some trust in their team mates and recover some of the lost confidence within the squad.

Last weeks win, where we won by a pretty big score doesn't help turn us out since the players generally feel good about a high scoring win, and quite often overlook obvious flaws and issues.

We have to stop over complicating things and play simple footy. Run hard, tackle hard, compete hard, and work for each other. We have to show desperation, heart and the desire to win, and it will turn.

Would rather miss the finals right now the way things are going. Might fire the boys up for next season.

I seriously believe that we were taken out of the game by not only errors but terrible referring. The Blake try was a knock on, Milford taken off the ball by James Fisher. And dumb penalties I think one was Thaiday having hands on the ball in tackle but he had none. If a few calls went out way. It could of been 6-12 with 10 mins to go instead of a hiding by panthers. They were hard done by, the Broncos will be back. Have some faith.

Last edited:
I seriously believe that we were taken out of the game by not only errors but terrible referring. The Blake try was a knock on, Milford taken off the ball by James Fisher. And dumb penalties I think one was Thaiday having hands on the ball in tackle but he had none. If a few calls went out way. It could of been 6-12 with 10 mins to go instead of a hiding by panthers. They were hard done by, the Broncos will be back. Have some faith.

I'll just say, doubt you will ever see the Sharks or Cowboys this year complain that referee's were the only reason they were not able to win a game.

Broncos fans need to be objective about their games, their is a reason we are rarely in attacking position, we need to stop relying on penalties or the opponents making errors.

Last edited:
That whole "rat" scandal definitely does kinda line up with our change from one of the best defensive teams in the comp to not caring about our defensive formation at all.

Round 8 - Rat Scandal (53-0 win over the awful Knights)
Round 9 - Win against Bunnies (Our last good performance)
Round 10 - Awful loss against Sharks

After that point we just haven't been good, even in our victories.

Look at where the Panthers scored the majority of their tries.

Look at who was unavailable and how it affected the side.

Going into this season, we knew that depth was going to be an issue, but nobody could have expected it to be as bad as what it has been.

Last edited:
I have respect for Maguires efforts but I have always had my doubts classifying him as a top line front rower. He simply does not have the size. The same could be said about Blair. We seem to have a pack of predicable workhorses. We really need at least two forwards who can dominate. But I guess they are hard to find .

I also hate seeing forwards chucked in the back line to be makeshift centres like Glenn. Does it ever work?

Attitude is vital vital , but looks to me that we just don't have the cattle.

Last edited:
I got mail from a guy at the titans that the McGuire leaking info scandal is a lot deeper than reported. Massive disharmony within the team. If you look at the date when this went down, it coincides with our fall from grace.

**** McGuire off in the off season if that's the case. Trade him for Napa ideally, sign Sims as well if he's available.

Josh is a fantastic player, but he's not indispensable. Blair is a similar player to him already, and I think a maniac who hits the line hard would balance out our starting pack immensely.

Edit: if that's true about some of the players having massive egos then I'm flabbergasted. They need to travel a bit in the offseason and realise that very few people know who the **** they are. They have a duty to the fans to put that shit at the door and play footy.

Last edited:
I'm actually looking forward to next week.

I couldn't believe Wayne after the Melbourne Storm press conference. If Hook had have described a 48-6 loss as an improvement he would have been absolutely tarred and feathered on here. Wayne said something and it barely rated a mention. I don't think Wayne saw anything wrong other than the Origin period and thought his side would kick on.

They haven't.

A couple of interesting notes...

Lockyer mentioned that the Broncos only trained yesterday for the clash.

And at half-time, there was no speech, Bennett just had them training like it was the start of the game.

It suggests that the build up to this game was rubbish and that Wayne is aware of it and is going to go hard on these boys.

It maybe too late and the Broncos could just slump out of the eight altogether.

Or we could see them jag a few wins, make the finals and probably go out the back door with some promising signs for the future.

Yeah most went away for the week; Parker Port Douglas etc.

Boyd had his surprise birthday party last night. in no way am I suggesting that is to blame or shouldn't happen.

They tried to freshen them up.

Last edited:
Forward pack needs a major clean out. Kinda glad now Parker is retiring too. All he does now is one out hit ups. Doesn't bend the line or offload anymore.

i think most ppl have more patience for milford because u can clearly see he has superstar potential in him. were as hunt at bes all u can say is this kid could be a real handy halfback. now whether that is fair or not i dont know.

Nah that's definitely not fair, the highlights of Ben Hunt for the past couple of seasons put Milfords to shame.

Kevvie's desk is at Milton now not Red Hill.

Bennett could still ring and ask him to come down to training for some assistance. I'm sure kevvy would oblige.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Big Del
  • marw
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  • broncsgoat
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manlyman
  • Stix
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrMoore
  • Rambstien
  • Porthoz
  • leon.bott
  • Xzei
  • RodF
  • The Don
  • Fitzy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.