Round 20 - Broncos vs Storm - Post Match Discussion

Got to say though, knowing Griffin is going makes it all seem not quite as bad. Like, even though we suck, at least it's now been acknowledged and the tide is turning. Just not til 2015.

Until tonight, this week has been the most enjoyable one I've experienced for a number of years in terms of what I've seen, heard and read in the media re NRL ... because SUDDENLY EVERYONE'S TALKING ABOUT THE BRISBANE BRONCOS AGAIN !

Last edited:
griffin changes the bench every week. and those bench players get bare minimal game time. how in gods name are those bench player meant to build match fitness and get some form? the guys an idiot. I'm so glad Bennett is coming home. its return of the king stuff

Last edited:
I HAVE HAD IT WITH THAIDAY! HE COLLAPSES EVERYTIME HE HAS THE BALL WHERES THE LEG PUMP!

my 17 next week!
1 Hoffman
2 Drew
3 Hodges
4 Copley
5 Kahu
6 Barba
7 Hunt
8 Hannant
9 McCullough
10 McGuire
11 Glenn
12 Gillett
13 Parker

14 Thaiday
15 Hala
16 Oates/Vidot
17 Kennedy or Granville

I beg the forum members. Can we please not fill threads with the team they want?

It serves no purpose. Nothing will be done. That 17 lines just takes up space in the thread.

There are a few guys who I really hope Bennett can either put a rocket up or just cut loose next year.

Thaiday coasts on the goodwill generated from one or two good performances a year. Gillett is plain terrible in defence and is nowhere near living up to his potential in attack. McCullough needs to be taught how to pass the ball off the ground; honestly, it's crazy that he has played so much first grade without being able to do this.

I felt like the majority of the team actually played decently, it was just a few horrendous performances from some of our most important players that wrecked us.

That was not the way I expected them to respond to the week, it was not a Broncos performance.

Melbourne were just too clinical and relentless tonight. I also think that bruiser with the Warriors last week took its toll this week. But there were just too many easy yards up the middle for very determined storm runners. Usually at least 50 meters most sets of six for Melbourne. How many times did the Melbourne fowards and that big winger continue to make another ten meters with two or three broncos hanging on to them? That's just not good enough. Once again the Broncos look out of their depth at the business end of the season. You just have to admire the professionalism of the storm and the way they just shut us down tonight. Game was never in doubt.Out played and definitely out coached . Starting to look foward to next year , just to see if WB can change things.

I beg the forum members. Can we please not fill threads with the team they want?

It serves no purpose. Nothing will be done. That 17 lines just takes up space in the thread.

like x10,000

There are a few guys who I really hope Bennett can either put a rocket up or just cut loose next year.

Thaiday coasts on the goodwill generated from one or two good performances a year. Gillett is plain terrible in defence and is nowhere near living up to his potential in attack. McCullough needs to be taught how to pass the ball off the ground; honestly, it's crazy that he has played so much first grade without being able to do this.

I felt like the majority of the team actually played decently, it was just a few horrendous performances from some of our most important players that wrecked us.

that's what happens when you have a coach who's a soft touch.

McCullough needs to be taught how to pass the ball off the ground; honestly, it's crazy that he has played so much first grade without being able to do this.

Whoever has been his coach in his time at the Broncos deserves some blame.

Let's see.

20's coach : Anthony Griffin
1st Grade coach : Anthony Griffin

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the zig zag runs by Thaiday? What are they meant to accomplish?

Melbourne were just too clinical and relentless tonight. I also think that bruiser with the Warriors last week took its toll this week. But there were just too many easy yards up the middle for very determined storm runners. Usually at least 50 meters most sets of six for Melbourne. How many times did the Melbourne fowards and that big winger continue to make another ten meters with two or three broncos hanging on to them? That's just not good enough. Once again the Broncos look out of their depth at the business end of the season. You just have to admire the professionalism of the storm and the way they just shut us down tonight. Game was never in doubt.Out played and definitely out coached . Starting to look foward to next year , just to see if WB can change things.
Melbourne did what they had to but they were far from clinical, they were pretty ordinary.

there you have it.
Unfortunately this team for the last few years has had too many performances like that aided by some very poor coaching before and during the game. What do they do at training. They don't seem to be very well organised a lot of the time and it has taken outstanding individual performances most of this season in our wins. We don't generally methodically pull a team apart like the top teams do - we tend to have a couple of players have blinders to make the team look good.
They should be a professional, well drilled football machine that is chock full of quality players. Set plays? good last tackle options? kicks for field position and to force line drop-outs? Stinging defence? the list goes on and on. the one person who is supposed to stitch this all together is the head coach....
Time will tell if the return of WB proves to be a good decision but I am hard pressed to see how they could have stuck with Griffin any longer. You could go on all day with the dozens of opinions about who should play where and what style we play but in the end this team is still a rabble sometimes and it's getting hard to take.

Funny how shocking refereeing seems to follow the teams that are not clicking for whatever reason. Having said that tonights officials had a very poor evening. The decision on Hoffmans try save was spot on and good to see given the ref gave it a try. Other than that they were absolutely woeful

It's a bit tough to single out one player in a performance like that but some of the players had decent games. Copley, Hoffman, Parker, Kahu, Hannant tried hard. Many played poorly but I think the events of this week and his statement that he was gonna go see what he could get out there now he was the next big thing again really got to Hunt.

Be interesting to see what happens next week

Manly are gonna tear us one next week if we show up with that rubbish again.

Only silver lining for next week is that Manly seem to be worse managed than the Broncs at present.

Manly could have their stadium burnt down, no coach, no fans and still turn up and put in a tough performance at the right time.

Celebrating Todd Lowries 200th in appropriate style.

Disappointing from the centre and right wing. Reed at dummy half further justifies sacking Hook.

Copley and Kahu were solid. I am keen to see Copley and Vidot but I fear Copley might get judged as Hoggley for the same reason Jack was. By the time the left centre is given the ball giving it to the winger would be the same as throwing it out over the sideline.

Barba much improved and Hoffman is a MUCH safer bet at fullback (attack is still lacking).

Hodges drops the ball the one run he makes. The other one he made 0m. He does this too often.

Sign Hunt already. Get his mind back on the game.

Maranta I am disappoint. I've supported him on the wing but nothing but mistakes tonight. Vidot or Kahu on the right wing?

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Ben Barba
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Corey Oates
16. Martin Kennedy
17. Jarrod Wallace/David Hala

We do it because we can. Just don't read them if you don't like seeing it.

I don't think some of you guys actually watch the game ... just wait for score updates so you can come on here and whinge and stick the boot in.

In the first 20 mins to night we had 16% possession 16 fucking percent. in that time the Storm were gifted a try from one of the worst video ref decisions i have seen in a long time (and thats saying something considering the refs have NFI).

when you have to do that much tackling it takes most of the energy out of you. so when you do get the ball, you don't have the energy to get up the field or really do anything with the ball.

they tried their guts out tonight. but were robbed on several occasions and were never really able to come back from that lack of possession in the first half.

IMO, Barba has showed enough as a 5/8 to play there next year (remembering it is only his second game there), with Milford to play full back. for next year, i think that would be our best option.

Copley is a star. he will be a class center as i have been saying since his days in the NYC. he has a good step, good fend and a bit of pace, everything a center should have.

Maranta had an off night both defensively and under the high ball.

Hunt had a shocker tonight too, but he will be a half we can build a successful side around.

oh and if you guys think Bennett wont make similar selection calls, think again. his second act as our new coach will be to re-sign Stagg. (his first being signing Boyd)

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Dale Copley
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Ben Barba
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Jake Granville
15. Corey Oates
16. Martin Kennedy
17. Jarrod Wallace/David Hala

We do it because we can. Just don't read them if you don't like seeing it.

9 out of 17.

Barely a pass. You have been putting the same team up all season probably. Have fun making the exact same post next week.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosAlways
  • Santa
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Rambstien
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.