PRE-GAME Round 20 - Broncos vs Storm

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Is there any update on SoS - I thought he would have been ready by now..?
As for Coates, I really fear that we may be chucking him in the deep end too early in his career. So much potential and skill, however, I would hate to see this along with his confidence being ruined from being told to do a job in this team when he is too ripe (especially if the Storm put a number on us..)
I rate Coates, but I'm just not 100% convinced that he is ready to live up to the hype/expectation/potential that the media seem to love putting onto all these young blokes.
SOS isn't due back until next week

Too big an ask for Coates against the Storm. Good to hear he improved for Tweed, but obviously a different kettle of fish against the NRL leaders.

The more the week goes, the more I'm looking forward to this match though. Feel Brisbane will be up.

Too big an ask for Coates against the Storm. Good to hear he improved for Tweed, but obviously a different kettle of fish against the NRL leaders.

The more the week goes, the more I'm looking forward to this match though. Feel Brisbane will be up.

It is actually the most interesting the game of the year. You know they will lose, you expect they will get smashed but if they don't get smashed, it is as good as a win and if they do win, you are in absolute shock.

i ask only for 80 minutes of effort regardless.....Manly scored only 1 try against them last week....and still won...

We can do the same; with Isaako back kicking goals id take every opportunity presented to kick the 2...slow the game right down, bring Storm down to our level..

Why not....why CANT we win if we do that..?

i ask only for 80 minutes of effort regardless.....Manly scored only 1 try against them last week....and still won...

We can do the same; with Isaako back kicking goals id take every opportunity presented to kick the 2...slow the game right down, bring Storm down to our level..

Why not....why CANT we win if we do that..?

Because we get penalized for that and they don't.

There is a glimmer of hope though. Smith was on the Matty Johns Podcast and Matty brought up how everyone views Smith as the refs boss. He denied he influences them of course, but you could tell from his body language just how disingenuous he was being. He knows he has got it over them with his profile, and he doesn't give a shit. As coach has always taught him, it's just another advantage to be taken.

I'm hoping the refs saw it as well.

Last edited:
Because we get penalized for that and they don't.

There is a glimmer of hope though. Smith was on the Matty Johns Podcast and Matty brought up how everyone views Smith as the refs boss. He denied he influences them of course, but you could tell from his body language just how disingenuous he was being. He knows he has got it over them with his profile, and he doesn't give a shit. As coach has always taught him, it's just another advantage to be taken.

I'm hoping the refs saw it as well.

I also wonder if there was a bit more motivation for him to stay at the storm than just his wife and passion for the club when he was talking about almost signing for the Broncos? That was an 'interesting' period for the club.

It does Hurt a little when basically every good player Melbourne has had, came from us at some stage.

We are the biggest RL club in the world though so I don't exactly understand why we don't just poach anyone good they have in their staff team and bleed them dry.

What good is it having more money then any other team if we don't flex the muscles.

Last edited:
I also wonder if there was a bit more motivation for him to stay at the storm than just his wife and passion for the club when he was talking about almost signing for the Broncos? That was an 'interesting' period for the club.

Was definitely an interesting watch last night. I quite enjoyed it. Matty Johns has turned out to be a great interview in my opinion. Can be serious and then crack a joke (The one about Finchy passing to GI was good).

To me, it sounded as if Smith was going to come to us no matter what - regardless of how we were at the time.

It does Hurt a little when basically every good player Melbourne has had, came from us at some stage.

We are the biggest RL club in the world though so I don't exactly understand why we don't just poach anyone good they have in their staff team and bleed them dry.

What good is it having more money then any other team if we don't flex the muscles.

It's just been a tough period post-Locky and post-Wayne (when he first left) for us with Melbourne striking gold on the cream of the Brisbane talent (still waiting for them to produce Victorian juniors). With the freaks we possess who are here long term we're beginning to make our way back to the top whereas Melbourne are going to regress big time when Smith calls it a day.

If we had Wayne, or a coach like Seibs, in the period Smith was talking about we would have landed either him or GI and probably would have had another two or three titles in the bank by now. Instead the club buggered it up big time with our coaching appointments. Luckily they've turned their lesson this time around.

Last edited:
the thing is Manly have given us and any other team interested a template to beat Storm; now im not saying we will execute it the way Des's boys did but i would be stunned if they didn't look at the video and identify some things we must do against them..

Which makes TPJs suspension even harder to take as hed have a field day running at Croft all day...
[automerge]1564631728[/automerge]
It's just been a tough period post-Locky and post-Wayne (when he first left) for us with Melbourne striking gold on the cream of the Brisbane talent (still waiting for them to produce Victorian juniors). With the freaks we possess who are here long term we're beginning to make our way back to the top whereas Melbourne are going to regress big time when Smith calls it a day.

If we had Wayne, or a coach like Seibs, in the period Smith was talking about we would have landed either him or GI and probably would have had another two or three titles in the bank by now. Instead the club buggered it up big time with our coaching appointments. Luckily they've turned their lesson this time around.

id say we are 50% of the way there for sure.....Roosters were wooden spoon winners not that long ago then made the GF next season..

Once our spine is sorted then i believe we can compete on level playing field with the NRls best..

Last edited:
Manly didn't supply the template, they used the template created by the Sharks. It's fucking easy to follow but hard to do. It's the oldest instruction. Bash them until they stop coming forward. Check out which team beats the Storm the most, certainly in the last few years.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Aldo
  • davidp
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bongo
  • Fatboy
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • Dony Eliakim
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Dash
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.