POST GAME [Round 21, 2021] Knights vs Broncos

Have I got this rule wrong?
If Oates is standing beyond the 40m line and catches it, doesn’t that mean the ball has travelled 10m?
The ball itself has to travel over 10 metres.

Interestingly, if the ball is kicked, travels over the line in the air and is then blown backwards it is ruled to still have crossed the line and is a legal kick.

The piece where we aren't improving which is killing me is the discipline. The Palasia blatant 6 again in the first set lead to us tackling for 8 straight minutes leading to 44% possession which IMO cost us any chance of winning that game. The same player concedes a high shot penalty in the second half and lips off at the ref and was lucky not to be binned. There were others like Kennedy too. We cut that shit out and we beat these sorts of teams and we're in the 8. The rest of the football is on the rise but how the hell this shit appears to be tolerated is beyond me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't seem to get any work done this morning because of the flood of complaints on the news, on online forums and various other social networking sites relating to the Best holding Isaako back incident last night. The amount of anger expressed by Gould, Fittler et al. with the obvious corrupt call made by the bunker - It has really made the news eh!

The piece where we aren't improving which is killing me is the discipline. The Palasia blatant 6 again in the first set lead to us tackling for 8 straight minutes leading to 44% possession which IMO cost us any chance of winning that game. The same player concedes a high shot penalty in the second half and lips off at the ref and was lucky not to be binned. There were others like Kennedy too. We cut that shit out and we beat these sorts of teams and we're in the 8. The rest of the football is on the rise but how the hell this shit appears to be tolerated is beyond me.
To be fair to Palasia. Hunt fell into his shoulder. There was just no intention their. The ref did warn him (unfairly I thought) while never saying a word to Best who got away with three stonewall prefessional fouls. Not one of them was mentioned either.

And this is my problem with Isaako, these key moments when he can actually have an impact he is not making it count.

Just like those first two missed shots at goal were critical.

Its not about fancy footwork, its about nailing the jobs he has been entrusted with.
I can forgive Isaako on the first shot... right up against the sideline on his bad side... but he should've nailed the second one on his good side.

He seems to have mental lapses in his game... like not gathering the ball on the Fitzgibbon try in the first place or recklessly contesting bombs 30m out from the try line.

For the bombs he needs to be smarter... he comes flying in trying to catch it but collides with all the defenders and drops it. We dont get penalties like other teams so he needs to make sure his path to the ball is clear or just stay on the ground and let the opposition make the mistake. That was one thing Darius done well with bombs.... he didn't typically leave the ground to take them he just focussed on the ball, got in position and stayed on the ground to ensure he would take it. If he got hit he got hit, if the opposition wanted to try and take it in the air then he was in the way acting as an obstruction to make it harder.

It's the same when there's a cross field kick inside our 20m... if it's landing 10m from the try line...DO NOT CONTEST IT. It's not a risk to the try line if you wrap up the attacker the second he hits the ground.

Cheap errors from our backs on poor kicks is one of the biggest issues we have

Now CS9 has retired, can Vlandy's have a crack down on forward passes, that would be great.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't seem to get any work done this morning because of the flood of complaints on the news, on online forums and various other social networking sites relating to the Best holding Isaako back incident last night. The amount of anger expressed by Gould, Fittler et al. with the obvious corrupt call made by the bunker - It has really made the news eh!
You should do what everyone else is doing when they’re at work mate. Watch the Olympics.

I can forgive Isaako on the first shot... right up against the sideline on his bad side... but he should've nailed the second one on his good side.

He seems to have mental lapses in his game... like not gathering the ball on the Fitzgibbon try in the first place or recklessly contesting bombs 30m out from the try line.

For the bombs he needs to be smarter... he comes flying in trying to catch it but collides with all the defenders and drops it. We dont get penalties like other teams so he needs to make sure his path to the ball is clear or just stay on the ground and let the opposition make the mistake. That was one thing Darius done well with bombs.... he didn't typically leave the ground to take them he just focussed on the ball, got in position and stayed on the ground to ensure he would take it. If he got hit he got hit, if the opposition wanted to try and take it in the air then he was in the way acting as an obstruction to make it harder.

It's the same when there's a cross field kick inside our 20m... if it's landing 10m from the try line...DO NOT CONTEST IT. It's not a risk to the try line if you wrap up the attacker the second he hits the ground.

Cheap errors from our backs on poor kicks is one of the biggest issues we have
I Honestly see Cobbo taking his spot next year if we keep Niu at Fullback, with Reynolds coming we don't have much use for Isaako and his best attribute which is his goal kicking.

That was hard to watch at times.

Walters - Learn how to use your bench. Kinda an important part of the job. 3 props on the bench, when Haas plays 70mins. What's the point of Kobe playing 30mins?

Glenn - Finished as a player. If Kevvie refuses to drop him, then he needs to limit his playing minutes. His effort on Cliffords try was putrid

Kennedy - Had a game which reminds me of how truly shit he can be.

Niu - Simply one of the dumbest players we have. Some of the shit he does makes me think of Isaako at 1. He has brilliant footwork, but almost a negative IQ. Even his try assist to Oates was poor, he double pumped and held it too long and he is lucky the touchie is useless. His defensive efforts on the Pearce and Clifford tries were yuck.

Levi - Showed why he should be a 14, not a starting 9. He was really good in patches, and made some bad misses in the middle that Turpin wouldn't have, like the really easy break Frizell made up the middle.

Riki - Needs to be spelled more, can't handle 80mins. We don't need 3 props on the bench when Haas plays 70mins.
What exactly did Kennedy do wrong?
That was hard to watch at times.

Walters - Learn how to use your bench. Kinda an important part of the job. 3 props on the bench, when Haas plays 70mins. What's the point of Kobe playing 30mins?

Glenn - Finished as a player. If Kevvie refuses to drop him, then he needs to limit his playing minutes. His effort on Cliffords try was putrid

Kennedy - Had a game which reminds me of how truly shit he can be.

Niu - Simply one of the dumbest players we have. Some of the shit he does makes me think of Isaako at 1. He has brilliant footwork, but almost a negative IQ. Even his try assist to Oates was poor, he double pumped and held it too long and he is lucky the touchie is useless. His defensive efforts on the Pearce and Clifford tries were yuck.

Levi - Showed why he should be a 14, not a starting 9. He was really good in patches, and made some bad misses in the middle that Turpin wouldn't have, like the really easy break Frizell made up the middle.

Riki - Needs to be spelled more, can't handle 80mins. We don't need 3 props on the bench when Haas plays 70mins.
What exactly was your beef with Kennedy? He was only bettered by Haas in the stats. He did more work than other forwards. Cost a fraction. You were wrong about him and still can't admit it.

What exactly did Kennedy do wrong?
Not @BooKhaki, but there was one pretty embarrassing effort on Fitzgibbon I think it was, where Kennedy just fell over backwards instead of tackling him. Made a 30m break and a try was scored soon after.

Other than that I don't think he was bad.

I don’t get the hate for Farnworth.

You only give it to your winger when they are in a better position than you. Twice last week he gave Oates a saloon passage and twice poor old Corey was too slow to capitalise (couldn’t get around Dearden).

Oates quite literally looks at least a yard off the pace, so I believe it’s likely Herbie doesn’t have a great deal of confidence in giving him the ball.

If he had someone like the Hammer outside him and wasn’t giving him the ball, then I’d happily join the bandwagon. But he doesn’t, so I wont.
Couldn't agree more.
I love Oates as a winger but hes not the type of winger that will run round a bloke down the sideline, everyone would be hammering Oates if he got bundled into touch 5 times a game.
If Herbie can put a in and way on and attract the winger and centre and Oates cuts back on the inside to get him one on one back at the halfback sliding across would be more dangerous

Newcastle fans are kidding themselves if they think are even a fluker's chance of going deep into the finals, last night they had every conceivable chance to put the 2nd worst team in the comp to the sword and they couldn't do it.

Kennedy needs to sort out his tackling action, every time he goes in for a tackle it looks like he's going to re-arrange the bloke's jaw.

I don’t get the hate for Farnworth.

You only give it to your winger when they are in a better position than you. Twice last week he gave Oates a saloon passage and twice poor old Corey was too slow to capitalise (couldn’t get around Dearden).

Oates quite literally looks at least a yard off the pace, so I believe it’s likely Herbie doesn’t have a great deal of confidence in giving him the ball.

If he had someone like the Hammer outside him and wasn’t giving him the ball, then I’d happily join the bandwagon. But he doesn’t, so I wont.
Also after getting bundled over the sideline he was probably shy about causing it happen again.

The biggest time where he should’ve passed was when he scored but it’s hard to be mad at that.

As said above, Farnworth rarely gets good ball from Croft and has to work in a crowded space, passing to Oates would just risk going in to touch. Holding it on his break was also the right call with the only supporter being the slower and less able Croft who wasn’t even in that good of a position. He sold Ponga the dummy instead which proves to be the correct decisions because it shows Ponga was going to make the defensive play at Croft. After the dummy no other options were available.

Also after getting bundled over the sideline he was probably shy about causing it happen again.

The biggest time where he should’ve passed was when he scored but it’s hard to be mad at that.

As said above, Farnworth rarely gets good ball from Croft and has to work in a crowded space, passing to Oates would just risk going in to touch. Holding it on his break was also the right call with the only supporter being the slower and less able Croft who wasn’t even in that good of a position. He sold Ponga the dummy instead which proves to be the correct decisions because it shows Ponga was going to make the defensive play at Croft. After the dummy no other options were available.
Yeh, I should be clear too, I’m not having a go at Oates.

He is great at certain things, but acceleration off the mark and changing direction quickly (I want to say agility, but sometimes the big fella can be agile in different ways) just isn’t it.

Couldn't agree more.
I love Oates as a winger but hes not the type of winger that will run round a bloke down the sideline, everyone would be hammering Oates if he got bundled into touch 5 times a game.
If Herbie can put a in and way on and attract the winger and centre and Oates cuts back on the inside to get him one on one back at the halfback sliding across would be more dangerous
That would be a decent style of play to incorporate with Herbie, Albert and Oates.

Oates likes that straight line run back infield... and parra utilise it with Sivo

Teams are getting trickier with their edge plays where you'll often see the center being the decoy whilst the back rower slips out into the centers (Panthers do it with Kiks a fair bit)... we could do similar with Oates or Herbie being the decoy or option back infield whilst Glenn and Herbie shift out waiting for Albert to pick the pass.

Glenn doesnt have the attacking power that Kiks does, but the threat of Oates or Herbie back infield instead of Glenn on the stock standard block play could create things for us.

On the other side of the field Riki or TC slipping out behind Arthars could be a decent 1v1 option against opposition backs.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Strop
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncs30
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncotville
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.