PRE-GAME [Round 21, 2024] Broncos vs Bulldogs

The Origin players were in camp (Brisbane received two of those games last year) and since Cobbo missed Game II through injury, they opted to leave him out of the dead rubber as well.

That's right, it was clear sign that Mahoney was well and truly rattled. Pretty sure Mahoney started OK as well, set up a try with a 'flat' pass to Preston from memory. It seemed like he was going to be a point of difference, only for Billy to outplay him.

It reminded me a lot of the Dragons game from earlier in the season. If the ball had have bounced right for Lomax, they would have had the lead and all the momentum. Instead it's a seven tackle set, Brisbane took an opportunity than Haas went full beast mode with Walsh running riot off the back of it.
I think we had byes for Rd 16 and 19 last year, and Dogs was round 20 I believe and we decided to rest everyone... I think?

Reece was still suspended as well I think

Can't quite recall the dragons game as a whole, but remember it was extremely tense and we didn't win it until late when Haas went beast mode... I think that was the start of Kevvie purposefully holding Haas back for that second half surge he was creating.

I remember Haas going beast mode... him and Patty linking through the middle to put Reece away for the game sealer??

I think we had byes for Rd 16 and 19 last year, and Dogs was round 20 I believe and we decided to rest everyone... I think?

Reece was still suspended as well I think

Can't quite recall the dragons game as a whole, but remember it was extremely tense and we didn't win it until late when Haas went beast mode... I think that was the start of Kevvie purposefully holding Haas back for that second half surge he was creating.

I remember Haas going beast mode... him and Patty linking through the middle to put Reece away for the game sealer??
That's right and it seems to line up with why I was so annoyed with the Warrior fixture. Of all the Origin affected games, they picked that one. That was the one tip I was happy to make in the pre-season, but like every Warriors tip, it turned out wrong.

It wasn't long after that 66-0 Newcastle game which has to be the most obvious example of playing a team into form. I completely forgot the Ethan Quai-Ward game followed suit (and I didn't think he looked THAT bad, but somehow the Dogs were able to wash their hands of him despite having another year on his contract).

I remember being nervous ahead of the Bulldogs game because the Broncos had just come off the loss to the Titans and suffered a few setbacks in the process. It seemed like the wheels could come off just like they did in 2019 and now in 2024. Fortunately Reynolds was on song and they had a few younger players who were primed - if only Te Kura was ready. We saw exactly what Mozer could do when he got his shot (albeit, running at Sloan seemed like the most obvious play in the history of Rugby League).

That's right, it turned what had been such a tense game into a big emphatic win ahead of the inaugural Battle of Brisbane. It was also the game where Cobbo was denied a try for tapping the ball forward on the same patch of dirt Jamie Lyon did it in the infamous torso try game. I believe they ammended that rule as well - we were trying to figure out what they were talking about in the pre-season and @Big Del brought it up.

Anyways, second half rolled around, Farnworth started lifting the tempo in the ruck and the Broncos eventually finished over the top. It looked like the Broncos were going to do the same thing to the Raiders in that other infamous game where Rapana head-slammed Capewell into the ground and then called for an HIA...only to earn a game deciding penalty towards the end.

Some good times, hopefully the Broncos can keep making good memories. This whole season has been a major blur by comparison.

Thinking about this game I thought cows missed a trick a bit and spent too much time attacking down Crichton's side of the field.

Have teams been attacking Xerri's side?

I haven't necessarily paid enough attention to dogs games to know if it's a weakness against them, but the catalyst of dogs improved defence seemed to coincide with Crichton moving to the right... which looks like it fully settled by about round 6 or 7.

Teams generally like to attack left because of the right to left passing of right handers, but you're just running into the dogs greatest strength.

For us we've got Reynolds on the right and Reece loves coming over to the right... Staggs will be out there and up against Xerri.

If Reynolds decides that he's just going to take over this game he could have a standout performance and just open it up for that right edge.

Also what is niggling about his injury ?
He had a key hole operation . Then a month off in recovery .

He played very well in Origin and again last week ? What makes you think he has a niggle ?
Just because it's a keyhole surgery, don't think it won't niggle ya!

This year the Dogs stubbornness in not backing away has given them confidence & results in their favor. On the contrary, it’s opposite for us.

Be itlack of troops,
injuries,
dumb plays,
lack of concentration or
thinking about walking away with a win even before entering the field whatever the case it is, our win against Knights should give us the confidence & game plan to beat any team.

If we toil hard as a team, we’ll get the Dogs & that result will set us for exciting season.

I believe Dogs will lead by half time against us and second half we will come out firing to win the game with ease

Just because it's a keyhole surgery, don't think it won't niggle ya!

He had a month to recover ? He doesn`t seem to be be hampered ? What was his issue ?
Some folks just love a good meme, he was playing better than ever the middle of last week ?

I believe Dogs will lead by half time against us and second half we will come out firing to win the game with ease
They have a decent defence, which may make it hard for us to chase them down late.

I'm thinking we come out and destory them. 40-0 in the first half!

Oh yeah, I can do this again. Please see the head to head:

1. Walsh (Broncos) - How good to have our spine back together finally
2. Cobbo (Broncos) - Kiraz is fantastic, this is closer than it should be but come on, Selwyn is elite
3. Staggs (Broncos) - He's had such a mixed season but signs he is ready to explode at the right time of year
4. Crichton (Bulldogs) - Best centre in the game, arguably the best back, absolute gun
5. Arthars (Broncos) - He's looking better and better the last few weeks, last week in particular, we need GF Jesse and if we get him, it goes a long way to fixing our metres problem from the backs
6. Burton (Bulldogs) - This is harsh on Mam, he was excellent last week but Burton's boot is what is making the Dogs competitive because their forward pack is tiny, he more than compensates with his boot
7. Reynolds (Broncos) - Sexton is extremely underrated and I would love for us to poach him for post-Reynolds but last week showed just how much the little guy means to our premiership chances and yes, we are still very much a chance
8. Curran (Bulldogs) - This is again harsh on Jensen but Curran has been punching above his weight all season, great player
9. Mahoney (Bulldogs) - This hurts to put this jerk here but he has looked back to his Eels self recently
10. Haas (Broncos) - He is primed for a big finish to the year and if he does (and he will), we will go deep into finals again
11. Kikau (Bulldogs) - This bloke is their weapon and given our backline woes this year, it is a massive point of difference for them, need to triple team him every chance we get
12. Riki (Broncos) - This is really a coin toss but Riki looked great last week for the first time in ages, Preston is one of the best young 2RFs running around though, very close
13. Carrigan (Broncos) - I'm gonna say it, he is the best forward in the comp this year, what a player

14. Mozer (Broncos) - How exciting to have the young fella back, he could cause havoc if our forwards start rolling through them which they really should
15. Morrin (Bulldogs) - I don't know, I just like the little idiot, love his competitiveness and our big guys will have to keep an eye on him because he could run amok if we don't
16. Willison (Broncos) - Arguably the breakout player of the season, massive strength for us all year, he's already fantastic, how good is he going to become?
17. Taupau (Broncos) - He's wound back the clock this year, great to see and has really gone a long way to making up for Palasia from the 2023 side

11-6 to us but the Dogs' defense this year is like an 18th player and we are not a patient team. I fear their great defense might frustrate us in to stupid errors. Otherwise, if the game is played on paper, we smash them...unfortunately it isn't and our blokes are flaky this year.

Not sure yet.

Please not Mozer.
It's either Mozer or Smoothy I reckon. Oates will come off the bench to the edge, with Hetherington moving to 13 to give Carrigan a 10min break. You do that, you don't need Smoothy covering 13, and you don't need 2 hookers on the bench.

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • theshed
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Dexter
  • cento
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Bucking Beads
  • Strop
  • heartly87
  • Jedhead
  • Wolfie
  • pennywisealfie
  • Bronxnationgirl99
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • Skyblues87
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.