Round 21 - Broncos vs Sea Eagles - Pre-Match Discussion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Is this really happening.Reed getting a wing spot ahead of Vidot! He may actually get the job done in a fashion. By that I mean he may defend adequently and be there for the odd high ball.But he has zero ability to hit the ball up effectively and zero Chance of finishing off an attacking back line movement more then ten metres out from the try line. Those deficiencies alone should really disqualify him from a staring wing position.

No ... Vidot is on one wing, with Reed on the other... Maranta and Kahu have been dropped. and it may be based on defense as the Manly wingers are very good.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I've been to Brookie once years ago (2003) and seen it from the outside since and it's a very packed little ground and everyone is crammed in. It's pretty intimidating for opposing fans.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
Is this really happening.Reed getting a wing spot ahead of Vidot! He may actually get the job done in a fashion. By that I mean he may defend adequently and be there for the odd high ball.But he has zero ability to hit the ball up effectively and zero Chance of finishing off an attacking back line movement more then ten metres out from the try line. Those deficiencies alone should really disqualify him from a staring wing position.
Oops. Disregard the first two sentences , but I stand by the rest.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
After having watched Copley's tries in v Manly in round 12, his incredible footwork to beat any defender, I'd say it would be sheer stupidity not to give him as many opportunities as possible close to their line, or anywhere else for that matter.

Seriously, all things being equal, this guy can be one of the greatest centres the game has seen.

For mine, Reed is no longer in the equation

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Broncos win % with Reed 55.8 without 33.3.

Stats mean nothing without context. We haven't had a capable centre as understudy before now. Remember the great centres crisis of 2013? They were dropping like flies.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Broncos premiership win rate with Reed at centre - 0%
Broncos premiership win rate without Reed at centre - 23%

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos premiership win rate with Reed at centre - 0%
Broncos premiership win rate without Reed at centre - 23%

if thats the reason not to select Reed in the centers, then we better drop Ben Hunt right now, he has the same stats.

and before people start going off, i don't want Reed at center ... although i expect that he will be seriously considered by Bennett

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
if thats the reason not to select Reed in the centers, then we better drop Ben Hunt right now, he has the same stats.

and before people start going off, i don't want Reed at center ... although i expect that he will be seriously considered by Bennett

I was more so pointing out that 1910's statistics mean sweet **** all.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Hi guys, I rarely have the time to post on this but I love reading the posts when I can. Anyway, with regards to this thread here are my thoughts.

All in all this team is quite strong, and if Brisbane play at their best they could be the optimal team.

I worry about Copely being capable of containing Lyon. I hope Vidot and he are capable on that side of the field. Hiku and Lyon are pretty speedy and Manly love playing that edge. (I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that Lyon is a massive grub and that he blatantly runs players off a kick chase and rarely gets penalised for it, I respect a good player but as soon as they begin cheating as much as he does I really lose that respect).

If Reed plays next to Hodges I would probably think that any breaks Hodges makes will result in an inside pass to Barba rather than an outside one to Reed. But if Reed gets it he will probably put a toe on the ball and try to make ground that way. Reed is a solid defender but if there is a fast break on then there won't be much chance of Reed or Hodges running them down on that side either. Damn this slow team.

I think you will see Hunt and Barba start to shine together. Barba is growing in confidence very fast in that attacking role. Starting to sniff for offloads. Hunt will be looking to redeem himself and, to be honest, may even find himself less of a target with Barba in the mix now.

Macca has been playing well, in fact, whenever he goes off the team loses momentum and focus, regardless of his failings (quick passing etc.) his defence is very good. Granville must be the only player to interchange with him, if not then I would never ever let Glenn or Stagg ever fulfill that role ever again. That was the worst thing I have seen happen in a long time. Macca may not be Smith but he isn't that bad.

A friend of mine pointed out that the talent is there but the team really is yet to click into their best football. He thinks that it might actually happen when Bennett arrives, which will be quite funny and sad considering that it was Hook that did put the team together. Bennett looks like he will walk in and be a saviour to the club but probably will only aid in the psychology of the team. I also don't see much changing in terms of plays etc. but if that is all the team really needs to get back to the top then what the hell, whatever works right?

It will be a great game but Manly will probably win. I feel that Brisbane are very susceptible to the typical Manly at Brooky effect. Refs calls go to Manly, Manly applies extreme pressure, slice through the middle with set moves, make meters down the edges, Manly just tire the Broncos out and the scoreline explodes. I hope the Donkeys prove me wrong but the way things have been going for Brisbane (refs always want to review Brisbane's tries for some reason and some really dodgy calls have been made of late) I don't see them winning this away from home.

Sorry for the long post.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
C'mon boys make this one worthwhile

Attachments

• bet.jpg
    bet.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 52
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
"PAY ON OFFICIAL RESULTS"

Damn, must've hoped they were paying on imaginary results.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Jedhead
  • Maroon4life
  • bert_lifts
  • Old Mate
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KickHaas
  • winslow_wong
  • kman
  • thenry
  • bazza
  • Scorchie
  • Robboi_321
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosMan
  • Big Del
  • broncotville
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.