Round 21 Discussion

"It's all good because he's got another hamstring" - Beau Ryan. I liked it.

LOL at the Roosters fans giving the finger to the camera. As predicted by Pete the Titans ran away with the game after halftime and blew Sydney city of the park. The Roosters were their own worst enemies again. Stupid penalties, ill-discipline and weak attack undid them yet again. Spoilers for those watching the Storm game. St George Illawarra 26 Melbourne 18, my mum will be happy about that (she supports St George) 2/2 tipping start, great night of footy.

0/2 here.

Continues my recent bad tipping form. Like Melbourne, I haven't recovered from Origin.

The Dragons also played Dean Young. I thought the new ruling was any concussion of a player meant he had to have a week off. The obviously were not concerned with him possibly taking another knock that could do more damage than Inglis's hit.

He should stick to just playing football.

IMO: He isn't funny, but others seem to think so. (I don't see it)

he's pathetic ... the footy show has been dead to me for a while but I'm embarrassed to be Australian for THAT five minutes every thursday night ... absolute lowest denominator toilet humour crap ...

The Dragons also played Dean Young. I thought the new ruling was any concussion of a player meant he had to have a week off. The obviously were not concerned with him possibly taking another knock that could do more damage than Inglis's hit.

Make sure you beat Tigers now.

It took a while but I reckon those massive salaries that the big 3 are on a finally starting to eat away at the quality of the Storms forward pack.

Make sure you beat Tigers now.

What does that have to do with it? I am hoping we perform and do so but you never go into a match cocky or over confident.

All I was saying is I thought the NRL were getting serious on player welfare when it came to concussions. Dean Young playing tonight ran the risk of taking a 2nd knock to the head in a short period that could result in further damage short term and long term.

he's pathetic ... the footy show has been dead to me for a while but I'm embarrassed to be Australian for THAT five minutes every thursday night ... absolute lowest denominator toilet humour crap ...

Last year Beau Ryans segments were the only reason I watched the footy show. Now the footy show is better than it has been for years and his segments and others including more Erin Molan are making the footy show better. All he had going for him was his comedy but then he started backing it up with playing better footy.

Last edited:
What does that have to do with it? I am hoping we perform and do so but you never go into a match cocky or over confident.

All I was saying is I thought the NRL were getting serious on player welfare when it came to concussions. Dean Young playing tonight ran the risk of taking a 2nd knock to the head in a short period that could result in further damage short term and long term.

I dont know, maybe it's just me but you sounded a tad bias.

I don't see the bias, Inglis put his lights out and if he got hit again in such a short amount of time it might have ended up worse. Plus the way the media in Sydney have been going on during the week about banning shoulder charges and protecting the players.

I don't see how letting him play in a week is protecting him. He takes any hard shot that doesn't even make contact with his head but still shake his head enough, could have a bad result. A result that might not even been seen till hours after the match.

I don't see the bias, Inglis put his lights out and if he got hit again in such a short amount of time it might have ended up worse. Plus the way the media in Sydney have been going on during the week about banning shoulder charges and protecting the players.

I don't see how letting him play in a week is protecting him. He takes any hard shot that doesn't even make contact with his head but still shake his head enough, could have a bad result. A result that might not even been seen till hours after the match.

Oh, I was talking about you bringing up this discussion. If a Rabbitoh player wasn't involed in the incident with Young you wouldn't have brought this up, hence the bias but yeah im probably mistaken.

Yeah, the sarcasm was clear.
Can't believe the Rabbits stance on what was by far the worst shoulder charge this season. Note that I said shoulder charge, because nothing trumps Matt Prior's hit on Thurston imo.

On the other hand, hard to condemn Twitzid for being bias toward souths. It's not like we aren't all biased towards the Broncos!

The Dragons also played Dean Young. I thought the new ruling was any concussion of a player meant he had to have a week off.

I thought that wasn't a rule implemented by the NRL, but one that some clubs were implementing themselves. A bit like how some clubs will give needles to a player to get them on the field and some clubs won't.

Oh, I was talking about you bringing up this discussion. If a Rabbitoh player wasn't involed in the incident with Young you wouldn't have brought this up, hence the bias but yeah im probably mistaken.

Seeing as it was headline news for the last week, anyone on here could have put forward the same question of why is he playing so soon after suffering a concussion? I put it forward because as a Rabbitohs fan I have been reading about it, hearing about it and defending (the tackle) since then probably more than other teams fans. To say I am bias because of it is pretty weak. I have bought up other concussion cases before and off the top of my head I questioned why Farrah and Creagh were allowed to play on in SOO 3. Farrah didn't play that weekend and Dragons had a bye. If Dragons didn't have the bye, would they have played Creagh?

If anything it just goes to show the NRL are trying to be strong on dangerous tackles due to media backlash but not being strong on protecting the players in the aftermath of said tackles. I assume he would have had tests done during the week that deemed him ok to play but as I said, I thought the NRL had a policy that clubs were to give players that were victims of concussion, an extra week off to fully recover.

Edit ---

After having a look for the NRL concussion guidelines. The only information I could find was here - http://www.nrl.com/nrl-mailbox-concussions/tabid/10874/newsid/67441/default.aspx

Under our procedures:

• Every player undergoes a COGSTATE baseline test each year to establish their basic level of cognitive function. This is an important part of assessing a player’s recovery from concussion throughout the year.

• Where a player is injured on the field the trainer (who must have the appropriate first aid qualifications as part of his accreditation) must look for symptoms of concussion.

• If the trainer believes there are no immediate symptoms he must continue to monitor the player.

• If the trainer believes there are symptoms he must take the player to the Club Medical Officer for a clinical assessment.

• If there is a diagnosis of concussion the player cannot return to the game.

• The player cannot resume training or playing until further COGSTATE testing shows that he has returned to baseline cognitive function.

Last edited:
• Every player undergoes a COGSTATE baseline test each year to establish their basic level of cognitive function. This is an important part of assessing a player’s recovery from concussion throughout the year.

These tests or similar are useless.

Broncos have been doing those sort of tests for years.

Willie Carne did his & got a concussion & redid the test to see the 'damage' he scored higher with the concussion.

Every player who gets a head knock, suffers some sort of concussion.

Just getting tackled, can cause a concussion.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • Totally Unr3al
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.