Round 21 Discussion

He hasn’t played ISC since 2019- he had two great ISC years in 18 and 19 and got a new deal on the back of 19.

Someone should have jumped on him end of 19. He’d played 41 ISC games and two NRL games that deal was the chance to grab him at the cheapest you’ll ever get him. It ends 23.
I'm sure no other team tried to sign him, no way, only the gods at Melbourne could see such an obviously freakish talent, but wait there's more, Grant was "dumb" enough to sign on for 4 years before playing a game on a bargain deal while being stuck behind the best 9 ever with no chance of first grade. Totally logical

Jeez those fines must be racking up for Robbo by now... or are they all still suspended 🤔 🤔 🤔

I'm sure no other team tried to sign him, no way, only the gods at Melbourne could see such an obviously freakish talent, but wait there's more, Grant was "dumb" enough to sign on for 4 years before playing a game on a bargain deal while being stuck behind the best 9 ever with no chance of first grade. Totally logical

Tbf to the Storm, they locked him up early, then when he extended in 2019 they started to get him more NRL footy and he got noticed more by people. He did have the Cam Smith clause as well as a get out. They seem to have this habit of signing up players they have high hopes for on longer contracts early on when they are cheaper.

Tbf to the Storm, they locked him up early, then when he extended in 2019 they started to get him more NRL footy and he got noticed more by people. He did have the Cam Smith clause as well as a get out. They seem to have this habit of signing up players they have high hopes for on longer contracts early on when they are cheaper.
Sorry mate, but I don't buy it. Something seriously stinks there, smells badly of 2006-2010.

It's all good and well to say Melbourne are geniuses who pick the right player and sign them long term, but as Broncos fans know all too well, there's a ton of desperate clubs willing to throw overs at promising upcoming talent, and Grant's (and Paps, and Hughes) manager's job is to get his client the absolute best deal possible. As we've seen with Fifita, Walsh, etc. We got Haas on a long term deal but we had to pay big money before he played a single game, and we were a top tier team back then under WB who is one of the most loved coaches in the game by players.

Grant would have easily found a club who would have thrown him straight into first grade at 300-400k for 1 year and he would have found a mega bucks deal the year after that.

I can believe it when it happens once, or twice, but Melbourne over and over again get players on significant unders for long term deals which defies all a logic in an industry where for players, they know their careers are short with the vast majority being under 50 games, you get the best deal you can as soon as you can.

What did you think of Grant in 18-19?

What did you think of Grant in 18-19?
I didn't have an opinion, but I'm sure the recruiters and eyes on the ground of the 15 other clubs, and his manager trying to sell the highest deal for his client had a high opinion of him. Must have the worst manager going if he couldn't get him a better deal. He should speak to Walsh.

Sorry mate, but I don't buy it. Something seriously stinks there, smells badly of 2006-2010.

It's all good and well to say Melbourne are geniuses who pick the right player and sign them long term, but as Broncos fans know all too well, there's a ton of desperate clubs willing to throw overs at promising upcoming talent, and Grant's (and Paps, and Hughes) manager's job is to get his client the absolute best deal possible. As we've seen with Fifita, Walsh, etc. We got Haas on a long term deal but we had to pay big money before he played a single game, and we were a top tier team back then under WB who is one of the most loved coaches in the game by players.

Grant would have easily found a club who would have thrown him straight into first grade at 300-400k for 1 year and he would have found a mega bucks deal the year after that.

I can believe it when it happens once, or twice, but Melbourne over and over again get players on significant unders for long term deals which defies all a logic in an industry where for players, they know their careers are short with the vast majority being under 50 games, you get the best deal you can as soon as you can.

Cant say why they didnt tbh. Burton at Penrith is another similar. Maybe other clubs arent looking around enough, who knows. Dont disagree that the Storm have been fishy with things in the past, but i'm struggling to think of anyone they have got on unders really ( there probably is someone, but my brain isnt working at the moment! ). Even Paps when you look at it is probably at his market value at this stage in his career. Potentially he is worth more, but currently i think its about right. As somebody else mentioned, when you are at a successful club, players will take a bit less to win things. Happened with us for years.

Hughes i think they rescued his career tbh. He failed to crack the Titans and Cowboys at Fullback. Paps was basically a victim of the Tigers stupidity and them thinking Teddy would stay there otherwise i dont think he would have left.

I didn't have an opinion, but I'm sure the recruiters and eyes on the ground of the 15 other clubs, and his manager trying to sell the highest deal for his client had a high opinion of him. Must have the worst manager going if he couldn't get him a better deal. He should speak to Walsh.

Think you’re over estimating the skills of some clubs. You really find it hard to believe that they didn’t care about a ISC player? I don’t. They all missed Hynes too for 90 games.

Grant wasn’t even moved into the top 30 until 2019 and still no one was too worried. His family are also best mates with Bunn. Lots of links and reasons why they’d be saying go to the Storm and learn.

Tigers had to match his deal to get him, they deemed it fair for a guy that had played two games.

Think you’re over estimating the skills of some clubs. You really find it hard to believe that they didn’t care about a ISC player? I don’t. They all missed Hynes too for 90 games.

Grant wasn’t even moved into the top 30 until 2019 and still no one was too worried. His family are also best mates with Bunn. Lots of links and reasons why they’d be saying go to the Storm and learn.

Tigers had to match his deal to get him, they deemed it fair for a guy that had played two games.

I think as a young player as well, if you are a hooker and you can learn from Cam Smith, or a fullback and you can learn from Billy Slater, its a massive draw to get you to a club.

Would it be farfetched to say that maybe clubs will actually start to take notice of storm's ISC players moving forward??

I can understand missing out on guys that didn't exactly light it up in the juniors... and it could be said that the broncos are able to attract the young guys that do light it up and are therefore known to the recruiters at other clubs... but given how successful the storm are now building squads through their ISC team I don't see how recruiters from other clubs aren't taking a look to see who the next ones might be

Would it be farfetched to say that maybe clubs will actually start to take notice of storm's ISC players moving forward??

I can understand missing out on guys that didn't exactly light it up in the juniors... and it could be said that the broncos are able to attract the young guys that do light it up and are therefore known to the recruiters at other clubs... but given how successful the storm are now building squads through their ISC team I don't see how recruiters from other clubs aren't taking a look to see who the next ones might be
And also how hard would it be for Grant's manager to go to the other clubs, Storm are offering x for 4 years, can you beat it? He must have the worst manager in the world, must be the same guy who managers Paps, who could have got at least 600k up to 1.2m more if he signed elsewhere, but who would be tempted by 1m? Special humans.

I don't believe the most successful team, by far over the last 15 years doesn't have other clubs eyeing off every single junior they have.

Mates with Bunn's family, mates with b$n$fits.

Cant say why they didnt tbh. Burton at Penrith is another similar. Maybe other clubs arent looking around enough, who knows. Dont disagree that the Storm have been fishy with things in the past, but i'm struggling to think of anyone they have got on unders really ( there probably is someone, but my brain isnt working at the moment! ). Even Paps when you look at it is probably at his market value at this stage in his career. Potentially he is worth more, but currently i think its about right. As somebody else mentioned, when you are at a successful club, players will take a bit less to win things. Happened with us for years.

Hughes i think they rescued his career tbh. He failed to crack the Titans and Cowboys at Fullback. Paps was basically a victim of the Tigers stupidity and them thinking Teddy would stay there otherwise i dont think he would have left.
Paps is on mega unders, I don't care what he's really "worth", all that matters to employees and managers is what they could get elsewhere. He's at least 200k per year unders. Hughes was offered huge money from the Warriors, re-signed for 3 years at, at least 200k unders per year. Addo-Carr magically extended for years and years at 400k when he was easily the best winger in the game. Grant stayed in reserves and signed on for 4 years with no obvious hope of playing first grade for at least 3 years.

There's plenty of examples, heck they even managed to take Coates, a rep player to go there for supposedly under what he could have got if he just stayed where he was, in a cheaper to live city.

Once or twice is a coincidence or luck, over and over again, something stinks. Even the Roosters lose players they want to keep like Latrell, but Storm manage to sign all these incredibly loyal blokes.

Paps is on mega unders, I don't care what he's really "worth", all that matters to employees and managers is what they could get elsewhere. He's at least 200k per year unders. Hughes was offered huge money from the Warriors, re-signed for 3 years at, at least 200k unders per year. Addo-Carr magically extended for years and years at 400k when he was easily the best winger in the game. Grant stayed in reserves and signed on for 4 years with no obvious hope of playing first grade for at least 3 years.

There's plenty of examples, heck they even managed to take Coates, a rep player to go there for supposedly under what he could have got if he just stayed where he was, in a cheaper to live city.

Once or twice is a coincidence or luck, over and over again, something stinks. Even the Roosters lose players they want to keep like Latrell, but Storm manage to sign all these incredibly loyal blokes.
Have you noticed all the footy advertising on tv is storm players, they’ve stolen our tpa Brisbane market.

How in signing end of 2019 did Grant have to wait three years to play?

Did anyone take notice of the 18 young Panthers? No one bothered with any of them either all the way through to NRL. How’d that happen?

That’s the point they had noticed them and didn’t care, Storm sign Hughes- what the Blackhawks fullback that’s been to two NRL clubs and can’t get a run?

If anyone had said we should offer him 700k now because I see a awesome half in him I would have laughed.

Active Now

• Spooky1013
  • MrMoore
  • Big Del
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Painin the Haas
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Old Mate
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.