Round 21 - Knights vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, sometimes I wonder if we would be better just playing Gillett(I expect to get your kidding calls from that lol) or someone like Granville there who would at least offer more speed and a running game cause at present I don't really think we have any real benefit in attack from Prince at 5/8th, he means well but his body just isn't upto it anymore, his doing great with his conversions though but we simply need more from that position.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Maranta was standing really deep when they made their first linebreak, like rnabokov mentions he usually does. I have no idea if that's how he's being coached by Griffin, or it's just natural for him. So I'll just blame both.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
If we are looking at the future..allegedly... are we going with Maranta next year.

Good point, Cammo. I suspect he will be unless a another young winger steps up. I disagree with a lot of posters here about JYY's ability to make it back. It was such a horrific, freakish injury that it's a miracle the guy can walk unassisted again. I would love to be proven wrong though. Copley's injury would have dented his confidence - hopefully he can bounce back.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The question becomes who comes in for either Oates or Maranta? Look, I've suggest QCup wingers all the time but there's absolutely no guarantee they'd be a better option and perhaps it isn't worth the distraction? Especially given how many other distractions we have going on so far...

That was the difference out there for mine. Newcastle had no problem getting it out of their own end because by tackle 3 they were getting good quick play the balls. We couldn't get anything going until the forwards were ready to roll their sleeves up.

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Kahu and Copley will be ahead of Maranta next year. Maranta is only playing because we have nobody else.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, sometimes I wonder if we would be better just playing Gillett(I expect to get your kidding calls from that lol) or someone like Granville there who would at least offer more speed and a running game cause at present I don't really think we have any real benefit in attack from Prince at 5/8th, he means well but his body just isn't upto it anymore, his doing great with his conversions though but we simply need more from that position.

we need speed off the mark, a good pass and kick and quick reflexes for our 2nd half back. Prince is a bottleneck in a poor game plan which further strangles him by such a flat attacking structure.

When the ball gets to someone running from way back, there is room and we do good thngs ... with Hunt

And MARANTA HAS TO GO

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
No......Peter Wallace lost the game for BRISBANE in golden point. I don't think any kicker had as much time and was in as good a field position as he was.

I could have kicked it over, left footed.

Which happened first? The Wallace miss or Newcastle trying to use up all of their tackles before trying for a field goal? If Wallace was first, I'll happily concede because it was a pathetic attempt.

A

austyphoon

NYC Player
May 26, 2013
The draw probably flattered us a little. We looked out on our feet after Reed's try and had to absorb a lot of pressure. A telling moment was when we had a good set coming off our line. Hunt botched the kick and the Knights scored from that set. A good kick there to the corners and that would have broke the knights. Maranta botched some tries but saved 3 by my count. Not that he'll get much credit on this board. Both teams could have got the win but lacked composure.

Oh do tell! Tell me how he saved three tries?

Yeah ...have to agree. Hodges missed the 1 on 1. Got bumped off pretty easily.

The Maranta hate bots are stuck in gear.....

You may want to watch that try again. Hodges still had him in the tackle but when defending on the line you need multiple players to come in and stop the play. Maranta was right there in front of him and couldn't do anything but grab a sleeve and be pushed off.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
1. Defused a crucial bomb.
2. Knocked the ball dead in goal.
3. Made it back to the field of play.

Happy?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
You may want to watch that try again. Hodges still had him in the tackle but when defending on the line you need multiple players to come in and stop the play. Maranta was right there in front of him and couldn't do anything but grab a sleeve and be pushed off.

I don't have to watch it again ....you're wrong.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Not a bad effort considering he had three defenders swarming him. Give credit where it's due. The team needed that. Another set on our line there and we aren't celebrating a draw.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Please drop the fucking passengers. Maranta, Wallace and Lui. Tell them all to get stuffed. I will take pretty much ANYONE else at this point.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
In the book of Hook, Maranta will no doubt have done enough to stay. Wallace? Same. The argument I guess is his experience and defence.

Sigh

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
In the book of Hook, Maranta will no doubt have done enough to stay. Wallace? Same. The argument I guess is his experience and defence.

Sigh

He keeps the fatties. Expect Stagg to be dropped when Glenn is back.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
He keeps the fatties. Expect Stagg to be dropped when Glenn is back.

Well, Glenn is supposed to be out for a month? Yes, I thought Stagg was very good. We need his defence and he does run hard

I could swear Gillett has a paunch

M

Mt Smart

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2011
Some Frustrating moments.

Were the season not on the line it wouldn't have hurt

I'm guessing folk will feel different about it possibly mid week when the frustration wears off.......

The thing is aside from the faults.....that was one hell of a contest, you couldn't ask rugby league players to show they want to win a game more than that ninety minutes of blow for blow ferocity.

Great game for the NRL reputation of both clubs

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
The draw probably flattered us a little. We looked out on our feet after Reed's try and had to absorb a lot of pressure. A telling moment was when we had a good set coming off our line. Hunt botched the kick and the Knights scored from that set. A good kick there to the corners and that would have broke the knights. Maranta botched some tries but saved 3 by my count. Not that he'll get much credit on this board. Both teams could have got the win but lacked composure.

He did lose his footing which gave him less time for the kick. Very unfortunate.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • mitch222
  • Kev_Guz
  • Midean
  • Culhwch
  • Allo
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wild Horse
  • Harry Sack
  • Galco
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bish
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.