[Round 22, 2021] Broncos vs Roosters

Looking at the Kennedy drop from another perspective. Lets call it the football gods perspective.

When was the last time Brisbane had a favour like that given to us? A situation where the game is pretty much done and dusted and the opposition drops the ball stone cold and follows up with a penalty pretty much in front of the sticks.

I swear to god one of these days we will be on the right end of a non controversial plain and simple opposition error that hands us the game.

We are in the NRL and usually NRL quality players don't make fundamental mistakes like that, he had zero game awareness. Any first grade prop would understand he doesn't have to make a 10-15 metre carry, even a 3-4m carry would have been fine. He just had to know we needed to get to our kick and make them run it out from their half and unless they provided some sort of miraculous play we win that game from there.

To your point, I think we had one of those favourable calls go our way in the penalty in front after Albert Kelly had his legs attacked.

That's been us all season long though, we have no problem getting down the field. The problem is we hand it over in fantastic positions for the opposition and the good sides don't need a 2nd invitation, just regular NRL quality players is what we lack, hence the reason Kevvie is shopping around for blokes like Jensen.

Also, if they are being used to even up games...why aren't they evening up? The amount of blowouts this season is ridiculous.
I think on one hand it is a bit of confirmation bias on my part...but to your question: I think initially the blowouts were a result of some teams adjusting well to the rules (the system gamers) against other teams that were essentially shit at the new rules (Broncos being one of the worst). The blowouts have slowed down now and (IMO) it is noticeably with the lower number of early (i.e. within the first quarter of a game) 6-again calls. When the Broncos have been in the game is when they are not suffering a large number of 6-agains in this period. The other thing to consider is that the perception of fairness is far better than the reality of fairness. By that I mean that it is far better for the NRL to say "look, both teams had equal penalties, therefore, they had equal opportunity to win the game, ergo, the team that won was just far better". When in reality, the team that is granted a lot of momentum early is far more likely to win, and the "even-up" penalties late in a game are unlikely to make a difference.

In this article, to me there are two interesting things to me:

1. That teams that are even in the scoreline or just behind tend to get more penalties, which inevitably results in a cliffhanger or a grandstand finish (which was unfortunately a dud in the case in the Roosters/Broncos). This is obviously in line with the "NRL as a Product" mentality that PVL adores.

2. That the Panthers were the recipients of a number of calls when the scores were close. I pointed this out last season and was not well received for it, but the Panthers were also a young team like the Broncos. The only difference between the Broncos and the Panthers IMO is confidence, and the refereeing in this way (where Panthers are essentially reffed into a win, call it what you like) has essentially boosted the confidence of the Panthers and sucked the confidence of the Broncos. The Panthers went into a difficult situation thinking "we can do this", the Broncos went into a match thinking "we are gonna get bent over again".

We are in the NRL and usually NRL quality players don't make fundamental mistakes like that, he had zero game awareness. Any first grade prop would understand he doesn't have to make a 10-15 metre carry, even a 3-4m carry would have been fine. He just had to know we needed to get to our kick and make them run it out from their half and unless they provided some sort of miraculous play we win that game from there.

To your point, I think we had one of those favourable calls go our way in the penalty in front after Albert Kelly had his legs attacked.

That's been us all season long though, we have no problem getting down the field. The problem is we hand it over in fantastic positions for the opposition and the good sides don't need a 2nd invitation, just regular NRL quality players is what we lack, hence the reason Kevvie is shopping around for blokes like Jensen.
It is possible it was one of those favourable calls, but when you see Kelly's leg bend the opposite direction... it's pretty hard not to penalise that. Otherwise, you set a precedent wherein chargedowns become NFL style cannonballs.

It is possible it was one of those favourable calls, but when you see Kelly's leg bend the opposite direction... it's pretty hard not to penalise that. Otherwise, you set a precedent wherein chargedowns become NFL style cannonballs.

They tend to put the whistle away sometimes when it could be a game changing decision late in the game, I thought the no call on the sin bin earlier in the game was one that definitely went our way, he should have spent time off the field there.

They tend to put the whistle away sometimes when it could be a game changing decision late in the game, I thought the no call on the sin bin earlier in the game was one that definitely went our way, he should have spent time off the field there.
Absolutely they do. But is that consistency in refereeing? IMO, no.

What sin bin call? Who?

Absolutely they do. But is that consistency in refereeing? IMO, no.

What sin bin call? Who?

Think it was Mead who ripped the ball out of Tedesco's arms when he was a few metres out from our line after they made a break, it wasn't called a sin bin but my first instinct was that it had to be.

This is why conversation is pointless with you. Your last line, when have I ever described RK as 'a great'?

If you'd leave out the petty point scoring and blatant misrepresentation things would be different. There's enough negative ***** in this world, I'm not going to add one more. Yes, I'm labrador loyal but think I lay blame when necessary too.
Ok then why can’t you just say “he should have caught it” and move on? You have to make all these weird excuses, same with Isaako. You’re not the beacon of intelligence you claim to be on this topic, mate. You’re just as, if not more, biased than anyone else on here.

Think it was Mead who ripped the ball out of Tedesco's arms when he was a few metres out from our line after they made a break, it wasn't called a sin bin but my first instinct was that it had to be.
He didn’t rip it though and the tackle wasn’t over so it could be argued he thought it was one on one at that point. Mead spun and Tedesco ripped away losing the ball.

I mean, that call was contentious for mine. Teddy was on a breakaway, the tackle wasn't completed, Mead comes across to wrap the ball and Teddy is trying to get his arm free and the struggle for that rips it loose. It could easily have been called a knock-on, but it shows that the ref really doesn't even understand the rules. In that situation to say it wasn't deliberate is silly. Either it is a strip, i.e. deliberate, or it isn't, i.e. lost ball.

Zero game awareness, right?

Please explain firstly how you know RK had zero awareness and secondly do you really believe it was being unaware that made him drop the ball.
Like, you've made no allowance for the greasy conditions, players fatigue or shoddy passing.

It's amazing how posters keep making claims with absolute certainty yet without a shred of evidence. Like @Unbreakable did last year with his 'coronavirus is no big deal, it will be here for a short while and then we won't ever hear about it again'

He didn’t rip it though and the tackle wasn’t over so it could be argued he thought it was one on one at that point. Mead spun and Tedesco ripped away losing the ball.
Haas still had him, so it wasn't 1 on 1

Ok then why can’t you just say “he should have caught it” and move on? You have to make all these weird excuses, same with Isaako. You’re not the beacon of intelligence you claim to be on this topic, mate. You’re just as, if not more, biased than anyone else on here.
Why the **** should I just say "he should have caught it" and move on?
Did you? Did anyone? No, they just kept banging on about it so **** that.

I didn't make excuses. Dropping a ball is not inexcusable on a wet night in the 78th minute. It's called an explanation or a recognition that there's other factors. If you feel good being in a flock, more power to you but I'll keep doing that which has made me reasonably comfortable in my old age.

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Zero game awareness, right?

Please explain firstly how you know RK had zero awareness and secondly do you really believe it was being unaware that made him drop the ball.
Like, you've made no allowance for the greasy conditions, players fatigue or shoddy passing.

It's amazing how posters keep making claims with absolute certainty yet without a shred of evidence. Like @Unbreakable did last year with his 'coronavirus is no big deal, it will be here for a short while and then we won't ever hear about it again'

This is the reason people see you reply and either laugh their ass off or put you on ignore, you can't concede it was his fault for dropping the ball. You are blaming the conditions, the bloke who threw it to him, the fatigue.. maybe there was a meteor about to land on the field somewhere? perhaps there was a bloke on the side line wielding a knife? what else you got for me?

I could apply your reasons for why he dropped that ball for probably 90% of the knock-ons that take place in the NRL, good players don't make those mistakes at that point in the game, they just don't.

He dropped the ball mate and he shouldn't have and for some reason you are off with the fairies pretending it wasn't his fault.

Why the **** should I just say "he should have caught it" and move on?
Did you? Did anyone? No, they just kept banging on about it so **** that.

I didn't make excuses. Dropping a ball is not inexcusable on a wet night in the 78th minute. It's called an explanation or a recognition that there's other factors. If you feel good being in a flock, more power to you but I'll keep doing that which has made me reasonably comfortable in my old age.

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Gee, I dunno, maybe because he should have caught it or at least not dropped it?

Your old age is preventing you from having an open ended discussion, you're too stuck in your own head to see another perspective. That's just where we are at here.

I am also wondering why you guys are still going on about the Kennedy drop ball... it happened. Kennedy and Riki also allowed the early Teddy break because Kennedy was slow returning to the line... So Riki and Kennedy both had average games. Kennedy is a decent player who needs to work on a few things, LIKE EVERY OTHER PLAYER IN OUR CURRENT TEAM. Can we let this go now?

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • something
  • Behold
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • whykickamoocow
  • Rookie Alan
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
  • Bronco bob
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Rambstien
  • RolledOates
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.