Round 22 - Broncos vs Bulldogs - Pre-Match Discussion

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The only hope Broncos have of winning this game is if the Bulldogs continue to perform below their best.

If Roosters win this week, Bulldogs are out of the top 4 and I have a feeling that will fire them up for next week.

Once again, I can't see a win next week. We beat them earlier in the year, but they were a rabble then. They were, for lack of a better term, shit.

They have a 63% win record at Suncorp. They always seem to go up another gear there.

Last edited:
Tolman and J. Morris will be back for them in a timely boost.

While Hodges will definitely be out for the Broncos. I suspect he'll be replaced by either Maranta or Kahu. Would prefer the latter personally but Maranta has been first choice through out the season.

This game, like every game this team plays, is winnable, provided there is shape and structure coached into the team. Hook has NFI about how to use his halves creatively, to set up plays.

Getting the ball to do the work isn't passing it laterally with no depth which is how we played v Manly.

The left side defence is dreadful - sliding laterally instead of moving up into the ball runners face, as well as his supports.

The Panthers are a great example of good coaching. The Bulldogs are easy beats when confronted by an organized, determined and committed side who know how to use their play makers and defend with consistently good line speed and effective man on man marking. The Panthers proved that last night.

The one thing the Dogs have that we don't is a hooker who is committed to getting the ball out of the ruck FAST.

Hook and the whole team ought to watch exactly how the Panthers beat the Dogs and learn some basic football principles about how to play as a team, and play to your strengths.

Who knows which Broncos will show up. Hunt needs to get his head right and fast.

Who knows which Broncos will show up. Hunt needs to get his head right and fast.

I agree with you Beads, yet again, I can't see how he can when he has neither any shape or structure to build his game around. Same goes for Barba.

We don't need individual messiahs to give us a win, we need a properly prepared team.

I agree with you Beads, yet again, I can't see how he can when he has neither any shape or structure to build his game around. Same goes for Barba.

We don't need individual messiahs to give us a win, we need a properly prepared team.

Ben Hunt has been doing it all individually all season TBH. No surprise that a few his worst games have been the last 2 weeks.

More than anything else the reason we won't win will be preparation.

Hasler will have the dogs well drilled. He will rip into them for the last two losses and be into them about restoring pride. They will do heavy defence drills, work on attacking structure and do extensive video analysis to develop a game plan to combat us.

In comparison, griffin will praise the boys for their effort and re-enforce that close enough is good enough.

They do some light running/walking work, heavy weights regime because some of the guys like barba and reed still aren't bulked enough and watch some video... They are nearly finished the Harry Potter series

More than anything else the reason we won't win will be preparation.

Hasler will have the dogs well drilled. He will rip into them for the last two losses and be into them about restoring pride. They will do heavy defence drills, work on attacking structure and do extensive video analysis to develop a game plan to combat us.

In comparison, griffin will praise the boys for their effort and re-enforce that close enough is good enough.

They do some light running/walking work, heavy weights regime because some of the guys like barba and reed still aren't bulked enough and watch some video... They are nearly finished the Harry Potter series

I appreciate the humour, but you forgot one thing. The KFC sessions with Slammin' Sam.

I appreciate the humour, but you forgot one thing. The KFC sessions with Slammin' Sam.

My bad.

The sad thing is, in a post full of outrageous exaggeration I don't think I was far off from the truth.

Ok, claiming the watch Harry potter in the video sessions was ridiculous...

They finished that last year

Last edited:
Sammy is the official tester before a product is released by KFC.

Broncos are missing some strike without Hodges so I'd be pretty tempted to see where Kodi Nikorima is at and whether he'd be able to handle the fullback role with Hoffman shifting to the vacant wing position.

Way I see it, we can't afford an arm wrestle with the Dogs and need some spark. I like a couple of touches Kodi has made in the NYC and think he's genuinely faster than most of our NRL players (if not all). At worst, Kodi puts in a performance like Maranta did against Melbourne and you can easily shift Hoffman back to fullback, Oates to the wing and life goes on like normal.

At best you may have unearthed a talent that could reinvigorate the season late and give something for the fans to cheer about.

I'd love to see a young gun get a crack at Fullback / Five-Eighth, maybe now that Griffin doesn't have to do the "Play it safe" routine any more he'll actually take a risk or two.

1. K.Nikorima (Reality: Hoffman)
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Hoffman (Reality: Maranta)
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker (c)

14. Thaiday
15. Kennedy
16. Oates
17. Hala? Molo? Dodds?

Not sure on the status of Hala and Dodds, I know Mitchell is due back from injury soon.

According to a relative, Hala is not injured.

Played for the Dolphins last weekend.

For the start Kennedy and Hannant. Need big bodies to blunt Kasiano and co. Hopefully the old Hunt from the earlier games will turn up. Totally winnable game judging by last night. Like to see Oates with Copley in the centres. Both front rowers relieved at around the 20/25 minute mark. McGuire and Lowrie ( Hala ? )

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Pablo
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.