Round 22 Discussion

To give 9 some credit, I forgot they were adding the 7:30pm Saturday game to their coverage. That's better but still, Eels/Bulldogs on a Thursday? What a dumb advertisement for a sport you spent so much money on.

As good as the Cowboys are, I wonder how long they can persist with having Winterstein, Linnett & O'Neil in the backline. It really limits what they can do offensively and when players like Coote and Feldt have brain snaps it leaves them vulnerable in these big games. For the most part, their go-forward hides that vulnerability but it really hurts them when they come up against a great backline like the Roosters or the Storm.

I still have them as a better team than Brisbane at the moment, but you just wonder how many more setbacks they can afford before they just fall into a heap.

The worst rule in the game is the penalty try/8-point try rule. How Linnett escaped any punishment whatsoever for his foul play is just mind boggling. You shouldn't escape punishment because the opposition managed to prevail, it should be an 8 point try. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Klein's call, but it's a dumb rule.

4 try assists for Billy tonight.. I wonder if Mal is going to pick him for the World Cup.. you'd almost have to wouldn't you?

i keep hearing the commentators saying that "the storm are so good because they've played so much footy together".... every club would be able to build up these combinations with their best players if they were $2 million over the cap every year for 5 years..... together with the wrestling (watch a 90's game if you deny they wrestle too much) that club has been the worst thing for the nrl as a product (not as a business because it's brought Melbourne fans)... Bellamy doesn't love rugby league (ps. Jason Taylor could coach a side with Cameron smith in it to a premiership)

i keep hearing the commentators saying that "the storm are so good because they've played so much footy together".... every club would be able to build up these combinations with their best players if they were $2 million over the cap every year for 5 years..... together with the wrestling (watch a 90's game if you deny they wrestle too much) that club has been the worst thing for the nrl as a product (not as a business because it's brought Melbourne fans)... Bellamy doesn't love rugby league (ps. Jason Taylor could coach a side with Cameron smith in it to a premiership)

The cheating has been airbrushed from History. Even tonight the commentators were going on about how Bellamy has the best win percentage of any coach. Cameron Smith is credited with the most games won and all the highlight reels contain footage from that era.

I wish teams would start targeting Cam Smith's chest more. It might be slightly dirty, but you've gotta hurt him if you don't want to guarantee a Melbourne premiership.

The cheating has been airbrushed from History. Even tonight the commentators were going on about how Bellamy has the best win percentage of any coach. Cameron Smith is credited with the most games won and all the highlight reels contain footage from that era.
They actually celebrated their 2007 premiership "win" a few days ago.. if they were a Sydney or qld club they would be shamed in to embarrassment but they get to live in denial down their away from the spotlight with a real "us vs them" mentality. Billy slaters grubbiness is a demonstration of this mentality, yet all the Queensland teams don't give it back because they are Queenslanders (this annoys me the most)

They actually celebrated their 2007 premiership "win" a few days ago.. if they were a Sydney or qld club they would be shamed in to embarrassment but they get to live in denial down their away from the spotlight with a real "us vs them" mentality. Billy slaters grubbiness is a demonstration of this mentality, yet all the Queensland teams don't give it back because they are Queenslanders (this annoys me the most)

I love Billy during the Origin period, but outside of it, I remember how much of a dirty **** he is. Remember his sliding Dragon kicks?

To give 9 some credit, I forgot they were adding the 7:30pm Saturday game to their coverage. That's better but still, Eels/Bulldogs on a Thursday? What a dumb advertisement for a sport you spent so much money on.

As good as the Cowboys are, I wonder how long they can persist with having Winterstein, Linnett & O'Neil in the backline. It really limits what they can do offensively and when players like Coote and Feldt have brain snaps it leaves them vulnerable in these big games. For the most part, their go-forward hides that vulnerability but it really hurts them when they come up against a great backline like the Roosters or the Storm.

I still have them as a better team than Brisbane at the moment, but you just wonder how many more setbacks they can afford before they just fall into a heap.

The worst rule in the game is the penalty try/8-point try rule. How Linnett escaped any punishment whatsoever for his foul play is just mind boggling. You shouldn't escape punishment because the opposition managed to prevail, it should be an 8 point try. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Klein's call, but it's a dumb rule.
Big Pete, you might already know this but just wanted to clarify that a penalty try and 8 point try are actually two different things. Most penalty tries are not 8 point tries (though you do get the conversion from in front). 8 point tries are only for foul play in the act of scoring (ie dangerous contact such as slidding knees, swinging arms to the head etc). Deliberately holding someone back on a kick chase is not considered foul play (though it is still a penalty and potentially a penalty try/sin bin will result).

By the way this is my first post on BHQ. I'll say straight off the bat that I'm actually a tigers supporter, but I love the game as a whole and enjoy talking footy with other like minded supporters. For transparency, I'll put a tigers logo as my photo when I get a chance.

Big Pete, you might already know this but just wanted to clarify that a penalty try and 8 point try are actually two different things. Most penalty tries are not 8 point tries (though you do get the conversion from in front). 8 point tries are only for foul play in the act of scoring (ie dangerous contact such as slidding knees, swinging arms to the head etc). Deliberately holding someone back on a kick chase is not considered foul play (though it is still a penalty and potentially a penalty try/sin bin will result).

By the way this is my first post on BHQ. I'll say straight off the bat that I'm actually a tigers supporter, but I love the game as a whole and enjoy talking footy with other like minded supporters. For transparency, I'll put a tigers logo as my photo when I get a chance.

What do Tigers fans think of Woods? He's a mystery, can rack up huge numbers at club level, but also seems like one of the softest props in the game.

I love Billy during the Origin period, but outside of it, I remember how much of a dirty **** he is. Remember his sliding Dragon kicks?
It's gotten to the point where his grubbiness outways the origin good times he's brought. I can't even bring myself to like him during origin these days tbh

Which is why I believe the call was 100% correct, but it's a bogus rule.

It's illogical to punish Vunivalu for scoring the try. He would have been better off taking the dive since Klein admitted it would have been a penalty try.

What do Tigers fans think of Woods? He's a mystery, can rack up huge numbers at club level, but also seems like one of the softest props in the game.
Tigers fans are really dirty with Woods, not just because he signed with the bulldogs, but also the way he went about it. He and his manager basically strung the club along, with no intention of actually re-signing with us.

In terms of his on field input, he's generally looked upon favourably among tigers fans, mostly because he has been head and shoulders above the rest of our pack for a numbers of years. However more and more fans are waking up to the fact that he's a bit of a stats fraud - his stats look great, but he's actually a bit of a powder puff out there. As a blues fan, I honestly think he should never be picked for the blues again. He was so soft in this year's origin series. Instead of running hard and getting quick play the balls, he tries to milk penalties and constantly gets put on his back.

To summarise, I'd say general consensus among tigers fans is he's a good club player, but overrated among the media/footy analysts because they see his impressive stats rather than his actual impact on the game.

Which is why I believe the call was 100% correct, but it's a bogus rule.

It's illogical to punish Vunivalu for scoring the try. He would have been better off taking the dive since Klein admitted it would have been a penalty try.
How is Vunivalu being punished though? Because the storm have to convert from out wide rather than from in front of the posts? I personally don't think a penalty try should be awarded, but I reckon Linnett should still have been sin binned

Last year Milford passed the ball into Vunivalu while he was laying in the ruck and Smith blew up about it, saying it wasn't in the spirit of the game.

Tonight Cronk passes the ball into Coote while he was laying in the ruck, not a peep from Smith.

How is Vunivalu being punished though? Because the storm have to convert from out wide rather than from in front of the posts? I personally don't think a penalty try should be awarded, but I reckon Linnett should still have been sin binned

I didn't think it was worth a penalty try either (because he scored the try), but I believe the rule should be amended so that it can be a possible 8-point try. I could live with a sin bin as well, but I think the former option is a fair compromise.

I didn't think it was worth a penalty try either (because he scored the try), but I believe the rule should be amended so that it can be a possible 8-point try. I could live with a sin bin as well, but I think the former option is a fair compromise.
It should definitely be a sin bin. Just because the professional foul didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't a professional foul. There's literally no downside for the offending player. Either they score like they were always going to, or they don't and you cop the punishment, with no guarantee the attacking team will get another try.

Last year Milford passed the ball into Vunivalu while he was laying in the ruck and Smith blew up about it, saying it wasn't in the spirit of the game.

Tonight Cronk passes the ball into Coote while he was laying in the ruck, not a peep from Smith.
Such a good point. I'm a fan of smiths but he has as much of a leg to stand on in regards to "gamesmanship" as a hover board

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Brocko
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.