Round 22 Discussion

Why do Melbourne get away with murder in slowing the play the ball down? I have never understood this? Or am I exaggerating this?

Why do Melbourne get away with murder in slowing the play the ball down? I have never understood this? Or am I exaggerating this?

Because the NRL are too soft to do anything about it.

What Melbourne do is technically not illegal, and because of those tactics they are able to constantly win the tackles which allows them that bit of extra time to get off the opposition player.

They are masters at it. They have perfected it and it won't stop until the NRL do something about the wrestle in the game, or at least change that silly rule which may force the refs hands to penalize them more often.

Paul Green's had a massive crack at the referees in last night's post match press conference. I thought the referees were commendable last night... They were actually penalizing the storm for not being back the 10, or going up too early.

Typical Cowboys after a loss, let's just blame the refs.

Typical Cowboys after a loss, let's just blame the refs.
I did laugh when he said something along the lines of "I'm not one who shifts blame, but ..."

Paul Green's had a massive crack at the referees in last night's post match press conference. I thought the referees were commendable last night... They were actually penalizing the storm for not being back the 10, or going up too early.

What were the calls he took issue with?

Klein was poor last night.

While it's consistent with a lot of incidents we've seen this year, Morgan should have been binned for deliberately playing at the ball from an offside position. It's a professional foul everyday of the week, but since Maloney did a similar thing in Round 3, the referees are just going to excuse all other incidents.

And Linnett should have been sent for the elbow. He'll get off scott free, but it's amazing how much leeway the players have been shown the past 5 years. Any other time, it's an automatic send off and he'd be fronting the judiciary.

There were other calls as well, I have no idea how Klein isn't under any pressure.

What were the calls he took issue with?
The only specific call he called out (at least in the article I read) was when the refs called a potential Morgan try back for a coote knock on. I had no issues with that call

Last edited:
Last year Milford passed the ball into Vunivalu while he was laying in the ruck and Smith blew up about it, saying it wasn't in the spirit of the game.

Tonight Cronk passes the ball into Coote while he was laying in the ruck, not a peep from Smith.

Pretty sure that Smith himself did it in an Origin match in 2015 or 16.

Klein was poor last night.

While it's consistent with a lot of incidents we've seen this year, Morgan should have been binned for deliberately playing at the ball from an offside position. It's a professional foul everyday of the week, but since Maloney did a similar thing in Round 3, the referees are just going to excuse all other incidents.

And Linnett should have been sent for the elbow. He'll get off scott free, but it's amazing how much leeway the players have been shown the past 5 years. Any other time, it's an automatic send off and he'd be fronting the judiciary.

There were other calls as well, I have no idea how Klein isn't under any pressure.
See both those incidents ended up in favour of the cowboys. So I don't know how green can justify that it was "the worst refereeing he's ever seen"

I did laugh when he said something along the lines of "I'm not one who shifts blame, but ..."
I had a laugh at that as well. It's the same when coaches say "no excuses for our loss, but the referees were awful"

COWBOYS coach Paul Green is facing a $10,000 fine by the NRL after launching a savage attack on the referees in North Queensland’s 26-8 loss to the Storm.
Just a week after Dragons counterpart Paul McGregor was hit with a breach notice for blasting match officials, Green is sure to be the next coach in the sights of the NRL after his stunning post-match tirade.
The Cowboys coach lashed Ashley Klein and Alan Shortall, claiming fans were dudded by a refereeing performance he labelled the worst he had ever seen.
In one puzzling moment, Cowboys halfback Michael Morgan was denied an early try after he picked up the scraps from a high kick which appeared to go backwards after teammate Lachlan Coote soared high.
The referees called Morgan back, ruling Coote knocked on to the dismay of North Queensland players.
Green said the Storm were clearly the better team but within seconds of praising the courage of his players, he changed tack to hammer the match officials.
“That was the worst refereeing display I have ever seen,” he said.
“There were some calls,” he added, shaking his head, “where they lacked consistency.
“I’m not one to shift the blame away from our performance, but the fans deserved more than that.
“There were two quality teams out there and I was left scratching my head at some of the calls.
“I said to the boys after the game I’ve never been involved in a game where so many things have gone against us ... it’s just a shame the refs ruined the game.”
Of Morgan’s no-try, Green scoffed: “Backwards is backwards isn’t it? Big calls in big games can swing possession.”
Storm skipper Cameron Smith said he was surprised by the referees’ application of the 10-metre rule.
“They were into us with the 10 metres and leaving (the line) early,” he said.
“I don’t know if they are cracking down on that, it wasn’t something I felt I did differently to any other game this year.
“That was directed at me. But as far as the refereeing and the overall consistency, I didn’t see any major issues.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...m/news-story/247e1f8af64b5102f777bc0c064ae457

**** me it's not like Klein stopped play for a penalty try that wasn't

**** me it's not like Klein stopped play for a penalty try that wasn't

...and then messed up the tackle count.

Green's biggest issue seems to be the Morgan no-try and Addo-Carr second effort penalty - both correct calls.

I don't want to be a salty, complaining fucker but is nobody (other then the odd fan) going to bring up the fact that Melbourne took a bloke off for a HIA after been hit in the throat. No contact made with the head at all. 15 minutes later he return again. That's two free interchanges.

Again I dont want to joint the "Storm are cheats" bandwagon but Its downright bullshit cheating what they did. Especially when your opposition has two blokes left on the bench and here you are making free interchanges. Things like this really annoy me.

I don't want to be a salty, complaining fucker but is nobody (other then the odd fan) going to bring up the fact that Melbourne took a bloke off for a HIA after been hit in the throat. No contact made with the head at all. 15 minutes later he return again. That's two free interchanges.

Again I dont want to joint the "Storm are cheats" bandwagon but Its downright bullshit cheating what they did. Especially when your opposition has two blokes left on the bench and here you are making free interchanges. Things like this really annoy me.
The rorting of the HIA protocol is so frustrating. Pretty much all clubs do it, some more than others. Independent doctors need to be introduced.

I think you'll find it's been brought up a number of times, over numerous threads over the last few weeks.

It's absolute bullshit and I'm wondering how long it will take someone to bring it up on one of the NRL programs.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Totally Unr3al
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.