Round 22 - Dragons vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

bittersweet indeed. hodges is easily the best centre we've had since renouf. for that i'm dubbing him pearl 2. but who will become pearl 3?

I didn't watch the game yet, was out. How did Hunt go? How did this rookie winger go?

Reality check

Whatever positives came out of this game, a home game, and there were a few, has to be weighed against the fact we played the drag queens : -136 points differential, with our season on the line, them having zip to play for except pay cheques and pride and our talk in the build up thread was, as I understood it, unless we win by a good margin, we are not gonna make it.

Whatever great things we did, we beat possibly the weakest team by 2 points right on the bell.

That is what pisses me off. Again, our inability to convert some good quality into points, consistently and that is setting aside the issue of our defence for a finals aspirant

Last edited:
Reality check

Whatever positives came out of this game, and there were a few, has to be weighed against the fact we played the drag queens : -136 points differential, with our season on the line, them having zip to play for except pay cheques and pride and our talk in the build up thread was, as I understood it, unless we win by a good margin, we are not gonna make it.

Whatever great things we did, we beat possibly the weakest team by 2 points right on the bell.

That is what pisses me off. Again, our inability to convert some good quality into points, consistently and that is setting aside the issue of our defence for a finals aspirant

yeah pretty disappointing we still leaked 26 points. a win's a win for this team this season. our forwards need to be more creative especially now that hodges is out. one out hit ups are so old school, why do we still do it so much? it's not like we have a big forward pack. silly

Add 20 points our way if the refs weren't on the take. Fair dinkum they were terrible. We didn't get a great deal of ball in our attacking 20 today that is for sure. Hodges going down in the first half was a huge blow and we still managed to score points even after the Dragons were in front of us.

I didn't watch the game yet, was out. How did Hunt go? How did this rookie winger go?

Hunt was much quieter this game, Prince seemed to take over kicking duties, but he had a couple of nice passes, another chip and chase followed up by Hunt trying to push an offload again..have to watch the replay, not sure if his pass was forward or if the next pass was a knock-on. Forced 1 or 2 dropouts.

Drew went alright, he was fairly solid defensively, not sure what happened to Stagg when Morris broke through down his side in the 2nd half..Prince - empty centre space - Drew.. I don't think they really tested him out under the high ball.

It wasn't great but at least we have started to get a bit of second phase going and Hunt is playing what's in front of him. Thaidays try was an example, Hunt doesn't die with the ball, Hannant changes the direction of play and Sam charged into a hole. Just good footy instead of the scripted 5 hit ups and kick nonsense.

We'll get a couple hidings before years end but the silver lining of this year will be Griffin changing his ways and letting the talent in our squad play.

yeah pretty disappointing we still leaked 26 points. a win's a win for this team this season. our forwards need to be more creative especially now that hodges is out. one out hit ups are so old school, why do we still do it so much? it's not like we have a big forward pack. silly

was it 3 tries down the side we had Stagg in the centres. I think it was. Don't underestimate how hard it is to replace Hodges defensively in the centres mid match.

one positive for prince though is his goal kicking. he won it for us today with 100% conversion rate. so who takes over goal kicking next year if prince is not part of the plans?

one positive for prince though is his goal kicking. he won it for us today with 100% conversion rate. so who takes over goal kicking next year if prince is not part of the plans?

I heard Maranta can kick some goals.

One issue with Ben Hunt is I don't think he is quite fit enough. Well at least not yet. He has only played 80 minutes 3 times this year. This has to affect you IMO. I think he has shown enough to suggest he can develop into a pretty good halfback for us.

Josh Dugan could not convert to save his life, until today. Typical.

Funniest or most depressing moment of game shy of Hodges injury was watching Stagg try to defend the bomb with 4 minutes left in the game when Saint George scored. He looked like he was nailed to the ground.

"Princey why the **** is this uncoordinated muppet kicking?"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Just wanted to say I thought the surface condition of the ground looked decidedly sub-standard today .....

I though Gillett had a real zest to his play today- it was the sharpest he has looked for ages. Some genuinely good signs today.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Bish
  • Spoon
  • DMZ
  • Dash
  • Culhwch
  • thenry
  • Lurker
  • Totally Unr3al
  • ell.d33
  • Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Volvo Driver
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.