Round 22 - Dragons vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

mieko: I think what Bull Shark saw was the off the ball organization, or lack thereof.

What's worse than losing our best player, the player that gives me the biggest man-boner of all, that was the one last hope to salvage something table-wise out of this season? Witnessing it live, from up high, while sitting next to a very respectable mother and her 6-7ish year old daughter. Lord, the obscenities that were pushing to get out of my lungs, not just at that one incident, but one of the worst refereeing displays of an absolute rorted season. I'll admit, I still lost my voice, but it included very minimal potty-mouth and the release of frustration that comes with it.

mieko: I think what Bull Shark saw was the off the ball organization, or lack thereof.

Yeah probably true Coxy but still I think a bit harsh.
The game day organisation is top notch. The outdoor bar at Caxton end ( even had the beanbags out), all the goings on on the concourse at the Milton Rd end, cheergirls pre game dance, the Ambassador Line...which is a fantastic initiative, half time with the kids games, lap of honour by the lads post game, fireworks (even though a bit pointless during the day) even the announcer was getting in on the act yesterday all makes for a good night/one day outing.

What more does he want, a flyover with Rock me like a Hurricane blaring thru the stadium.....that would be pretty cool though

So glad to get away with that one. Being at the game had me on the edge of my seat for about the last 30 minutes. My poor ticket copped a hammering from slamming into my hand a thousand times while I nervously fidgeted in my seat.

Onto the game, I'll break it down...

Hunt: Just keeps improving. Every week he doesn't do the silly thing he did the week before and builds on his previous week. He threw one or two passes that didn't need to be thrown, but his ability to get us repeat sets is invaluable. He was a little quiet in the first half, but that's probably because we didn't have a lot of ball, and the ball we did have, we gave up too quickly. In the second half, Hunt really took the game to the Dragons I felt. That play on the 5th tackle down the short blind side - The cutout pass to Reed who got the ball back on the inside to Gillett - That was absolutely beautiful play, and something Lockyer would have done. Taking the line on, on the last play - Absolutely loved it.

Gillett: HUGE game from Gillet. Had some magic touches, got through a mountain of work and looked really strong with his work. His fitness is coming along too. By next year he'll be an 80 minute player easily. Looks like he's sorted out his niggling injuries and is playing career best footy.

Macca: I thought Macca was excellent. His work around the middle, getting the forwards on the front foot was really good. Since Hunt has moved to Halfback, Macca has gone up two gears. He seems much more comfortable in his role.

Prince: I hope Prince stays around for next year. I don't care what anyone says about that, these last few weeks since he's been told to take a hike, he's stood up big time. His goal kicking is exemplary, his link play has been class and he's even had a few individual glimpses of what we know he can do. I really think if he runs around another year for us in the number 6, with Hunt at 7, Hunt can learn a lot of things off Prince. I think Prince is a very good influence on Hunt and can really help his passing and kicking games. Look at the difference between Wallace and Prince since they were both told to take a hike. Night and day, really. In the off season, I'd really like to see Prince work on his speed off the mark and definitely work on his sliding defence.

Hoffman: What can you say? He's a tremendous Fullback. Yeah, he doesn't have the ball playing skills of Hodges, or the backline finesse of a Brett Stewart, but he's as safe as a house at the back. You know when a bomb goes up that he's going to catch it, and 9 times out of 10 he's going to make meters to go with it. Some of his runs getting us out of trouble were very good, too.

Parker/McGuire/Thaiday: I thought these guys all had stellar games. All 3 got through a lot of work and took some hard meters. Big Sam had one of his better games and seems to be playing with a better attitude which is rubbing off on the younger blokes.

Poor Hodges. I think it's all been said, but I have no doubt he'll be back. Even if the only reason he comes back is to shut everyone up who says he can't come back. I hope he retires from rep footy when he comes back, but we could use his experience in the backline next year, and even the year after if his body holds up. We are going to have a very young backline and Hodges being there, guiding them, will be invaluable.

So, the negatives. We gave away too many silly penalties (although some of those decisions were completely f**ked). Our right side defence was TERRIBLE. I'm sorry Stagg fans, but David Stagg IS NOT A CENTRE. If we play him there this week, Hayne and Loko will run at him and Prince all night and I'm telling you now, it'll get ugly. We need to throw big Corey Oates into the centres and pray to all f**k that Kahu is fit to return to the wing. You can't have a rookie winger in Drew, defending on the same side as Stagg and Prince. Peter Wallace continues to show why no NRL club wants to sign him. The hospital passes, rushing out of the defensive line, giving away penalties. GET HIM OUT OF THE TEAM IMMEDIATELY. It is painful watching the team regress when he comes on. It is so obvious.

Overall, I'll take the win. I thought again this week, we showed good character to come back from a deficit and take the win. I just wish we could get rid of those silly errors from our game and the silly penalties. Teams like Melbourne and Souths will destroy us on the back of those.

Yeah probably true Coxy but still I think a bit harsh.
The game day organisation is top notch. The outdoor bar at Caxton end ( even had the beanbags out), all the goings on on the concourse at the Milton Rd end, cheergirls pre game dance, the Ambassador Line...which is a fantastic initiative, half time with the kids games, lap of honour by the lads post game, fireworks (even though a bit pointless during the day) even the announcer was getting in on the act yesterday all makes for a good night/one day outing.

What more does he want, a flyover with Rock me like a Hurricane blaring thru the stadium.....that would be pretty cool though

By "off the ball organisation" ......I think coxy was referring to the play that is away from the ruck or not what the cameras pick up if you were watching the game on TV. He was still talking about football, not ground entertainment etc etc

I think ......

By "off the ball organisation" ......I think coxy was referring to the play that is away from the ruck or not what the cameras pick up if you were watching the game on TV. He was still talking about football, not ground entertainment etc etc

I think ......

Aaahhh, now I see, my bad bullshark. :thumbup1:

Prince: I hope Prince stays around for next year. I don't care what anyone says about that, these last few weeks since he's been told to take a hike, he's stood up big time. His goal kicking is exemplary, his link play has been class and he's even had a few individual glimpses of what we know he can do. I really think if he runs around another year for us in the number 6, with Hunt at 7, Hunt can learn a lot of things off Prince. I think Prince is a very good influence on Hunt and can really help his passing and kicking games. Look at the difference between Wallace and Prince since they were both told to take a hike. Night and day, really. In the off season, I'd really like to see Prince work on his speed off the mark and definitely work on his sliding defence.

Yes .....night and day, although Prince has been giving us his best shot all year.

......I'm not sure what the back up plan is next year if we don't get Milford, regarding our 5/8. I'm more than happy to have Prince run around again with Hunt. This partnership IMHO......should have been formed at the start of the season and not at the end. Still, better late than never.

Prince still has something to offer the side....

That said, we obviously have to find another 6 eventually.

You could certainly do a lot better than Prince, but you definitely could do a lot worse. if Milford and Barba both come up here then he has to be squeezed out, but if it's only one or the other (or neither, God help us) I wouldn't necessarily be against Prince retaining the six next year. The problem is of course he'll be a year older and a year slower. It's all well and good saying that he needs to improve his defense and his speed off the mark, but there may not be any room for improvement. Still, if Hunt continues to improve and we do pick up that strike player we're missing, I think Prince can potentially do the job for another year.

Watching the 2nd half, I thought blaming Stagg for the Dragons second and third try was a bit harsh. He tackled his opposite centre so he was out of the play for their second, and we were just outnumbered for their 3rd. Actually we were outnumbered for both the 2nd and the 3rd and it was just good work by the Dragons. I'm not sure Hodges could have stopped it either.

Having Prince, Stagg and the rookie Drew on that side, was like a big bright flashing neon sign saying "ATTACK HERE"!

Hodges can make bad arm grabs in defence, but he is generally quite good a reading the play and shutting it down before it can cause damage. Yow Yeh was also awesome at that. That is the biggest difference really.

Kind of surprised people aren't giving Andrew McCullough a bit more of a rap on board here for yesterday;s performance. Probably his best game all year and it is super evident that he teams well with Hunt. I would still like to see him get to play 80 or bring up Granville. To have Wallace there playing at the pace that he does throwing hospital passes isn't to ideal.

Kind of surprised people aren't giving Andrew McCullough a bit more of a rap on board here for yesterday;s performance. Probably his best game all year and it is super evident that he teams well with Hunt. I would still like to see him get to play 80 or bring up Granville. To have Wallace there playing at the pace that he does throwing hospital passes isn't to ideal.

I voted for Macca as my MOM here, but I thought Wallace had a really decent game. You could argue that McCullough would not have been as effective in his second stint, wouldn't have scored what would be the match-winner, if Wal didn't give him a rest.

As am i

I voted for Macca as my MOM here, but I thought Wallace had a really decent game. You could argue that McCullough would not have been as effective in his second stint, wouldn't have scored what would be the match-winner, if Wal didn't give him a rest.

Wallace has nothing to do with it, he would've gotten his rest with either Granville or Baptiste, maybe with one of those, he wouldn't have needed to score a match-winner.

Active Now

• kman
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • jd87
  • Sproj
  • Kev_Guz
  • Jazza
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • Turky Murky
  • Mustafur
  • mystico
  • Financeguy
  • HarryAllan7
  • HVbronco
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.