PRE-GAME Round 23 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

That TPJ binning was a disgrace. It wasn’t even a crusher. Of course, when you freeze frame at the right moment, it looks like one but watch it normal speed and even in slow mo and he barely wraps him up, there is no force other than a hold.

Souths play bog standard attacking football. Their main focus is getting the ball out wide really quickly and isolating the defending winger, pretty much what all the good teams do. The wrap around play out wide to create the extra space is a good example. The key is execution at which Souths are good.

Assuming our D on the edges is solid and our wingers do not come in off their wings, I can see a very close game, although 80 mins of discipline and focus is the absolute key.

I just hope Glenn and Gillett play. Their leadership and defence on the edges will be so useful when the pressure is on.

For mine, this match is so winnable, providing we play tight for the whole 80.

Last edited:
Souths play bog standard attacking football. Their main focus is getting the ball out wide really quickly and isolating the defending winger, pretty much what all the good teams do. The wrap around play out wide to create the extra space is a good example. The key is execution at which Souths are good.

Assuming our D on the edges is solid and our wingers do not come in off their wings, I can see a very close game, although 80 mins of discipline and focus is the absolute key.

I just hope Glenn and Gillett play. Their leadership and defence on the edges will be so useful when the pressure is on.

For mine, this match is so winnable, providing we play tight for the whole 80.

Glenn sure, Gillett no. He will be totally underdone and is cooked. Right now, Glenn would be nice on the bench but Gillett.can retire and free up some funds for Fifita.

Glenn sure, Gillett no. He will be totally underdone and is cooked. Right now, Glenn would be nice on the bench but Gillett.can retire and free up some funds for Fifita.

Nah, Gillo for mine offers way to much in defence on the edges to be pensioned off yet. Teams target us out wide relentlessly 'cos our edge defence is suspect under pressure. Staggs and Isaako go to sleep too often on crucial plays, and Shiba is all over the shop. Also, If you look at the stats from last night, Fifita and TPJ missed far too many tackles aside from their ineffective ones.

For mine, we need Gillett, starting back off the bench, ASAP to shore up the right edge until our D out there reaches a satisfactory level of consistent composure and effectiveness under pressure.

The lack of experience in this team is for mine the biggest worry and the top teams have, and will continue to exploit it.

Oh ... underdone and cooked?

Last edited:
Also, If you look at the stats from last night, Fifita and TPJ missed far too many tackles aside from their ineffective ones.

Tackles stats can be misleading. One of Penrith's tries last night was scored partly because Darius ran across field out of position and left a massive gap. This won't show up in his stats. Few will even notice he should've been there.

Last edited:
Oh ... underdone and cooked?

Yes. He hasn’t played since before origin 3 and certainly wasn’t setting the world on fire before anyway plus coming back from a serious neck injury and now problems with ligaments, etc. coincidence?

Yes. He hasn’t played since before origin 3 and certainly wasn’t setting the world on fire before anyway plus coming back from a serious neck injury and now problems with ligaments, etc. coincidence?

I dont think him retiring would get him off our salary cap though.

Tackles stats can be misleading. One of Penrith's tries last night was scored partly because Darius ran across field out of position and left a massive gap. This won't show up in his stats. Few will even notice he should've been there.
This one. Watch Darius:

What a defensive dog's breakfast: Boyd (?), Shiba running around headless, Oates leaving his wing. Three (3) defenders coming in one (1) attacker, leaving the try scorer free Bloody hell, what a shambles

Last edited:
Darius left a massive gap on the inside. That's why he went that way.

The problem for mine was that we were short on our left side and Maloney saw that. It wasn't because Dariu$$$ had moved, the space was there because defenders like Fifita didn't slide, didn't read the play, and Shiba was his usual half asleep, out of position self.

Just awful defence, and why we need some leadership and experience out there to wake up the newbies. The top 4 sides will destroy us out wide, exactly as did the Storm. Bennett will already have factored this shitty defence into his game plan

Last edited:
Just awful defence, and why we need some leadership and experience out there to wake up the newbies. The top 4 sides will destroy us out wide, exactly as did the Storm. Bennett will already have factored this shitty defence into his game plan
Darius gives us leadership and experience. Apparently.

What a defensive dog's breakfast: Boyd (?), Shiba running around headless, Oates leaving his wing. Three (3) defenders coming in one (1) attacker, leaving the try scorer free Bloody hell, what a shambles

Surely this is mostly on Shiba than Boyd. Boyd wouldn't have to come across the gap created by Shiba running up. I struggle to think of a left centre that Oates hasn't had to cover for. Jack Reed was good up until his shoulder failed him. Jack Bird is good when he isn't injured.At any rate that try isn't even remotely on Oates.

Last edited:
Maloney created a 2-on-1 with his pass because Shibasaki was asleep. Boyd had to come across and then To'o decides to come back on the inside as Boyd is coming across.

At that point, it was up to Fifita to plug the hole. He doesn't.

Several players get the blame, not just Boyd. To put that try on Boyd alone is just fucking ridiculous.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.