PRE-GAME Round 23 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Hope glen is in his face each time he gets the ball and gives him no space. The left side defence of boyd, glen and oates are pretty experienced so hopefully they manage that side well.
[automerge]1566476302[/automerge]
Hope glen is in his face each time he gets the ball and gives him no space. The left side defence of boyd, glen and oates are pretty experienced so hopefully they manage that side well.
Wish i was confident as others, but south's spine is intact and has at least two seasons together as a unit. Add murray to that (who i see as a bigger threat than burgess because of his lighting play the balls, ability to strip the ball 1 on 1 and he doesnt drop the ball or give penalties away like burgess), and they are still dangerous.

Last edited:
I think they will need to be.

Bunnies like to spread it to the right from inside their own half (similar to Broncos raids when Lockyer and Wallace would shift it across the field with 2-3 passes) and give Roberts a lot of space to work with. I think that will be very hard for Glenn to deal with.

The worry is we don't have an up and in defence to combat this... hopefully that changes and they come up to cut off early spread.

The other thing that will be vital is kick pressure on Reynolds. I'm not sure Milf has been really tested under the big floating bombs as yet, but if we give Reynolds time he will absolutely pepper Milf. Macca has been providing great kick pressure recently but when he goes off no one in the team takes up the slack, which is seriously disappointing.

I think they will need to be.

Bunnies like to spread it to the right from inside their own half (similar to Broncos raids when Lockyer and Wallace would shift it across the field with 2-3 passes) and give Roberts a lot of space to work with. I think that will be very hard for Glenn to deal with.

The worry is we don't have an up and in defence to combat this... hopefully that changes and they come up to cut off early spread.

The other thing that will be vital is kick pressure on Reynolds. I'm not sure Milf has been really tested under the big floating bombs as yet, but if we give Reynolds time he will absolutely pepper Milf. Macca has been providing great kick pressure recently but when he goes off no one in the team takes up the slack, which is seriously disappointing.
Our kick pressure has been inch perfect the last few weeks. We had shocking timing early on (together with halves milking it faking injury on the ground) or there was none at all but lately it's been great. I share your concerns about that sides defence against speed but boyd has been doing a great job picking out attacking plays early and rushing up to make a tackle, and he seems to talk a lot on the edge defensively.

My main concern is losing TPJ will really blunt our attack on the right edge. He makes some mistakes but he pulls in 3 or 4 defenders purely because of the potential offload, it gave Staggs so much room to do his thing. I actually hope oates or fifita sweep across to make some numbers and draw players in. Staggs is strong but if they are able to rush him he's still a small body who can be pushed back.

But, all this said, the main determination of the result will be the refs. The nrl has gone that far down the line it can no longer be said its just a cop out. It won't be 1 major decision it will be consistently inconsistent calls that tend to favour 1 side, gifting field position or attacking pressure. 4th tackle penalties when they are pinned, head highs that aren't head highs, 50/50 calls that have been happening all game but the ref decides to penalise just one at a very important time in the game. The TV will be on in the background but things need to change in the nrl to win me back as a hardcore fan. I love the broncos but I can't invest in something where the results and rules are so obviously driven to suit certain agendas.

Our kick pressure has been inch perfect the last few weeks. We had shocking timing early on (together with halves milking it faking injury on the ground) or there was none at all but lately it's been great. I share your concerns about that sides defence against speed but boyd has been doing a great job picking out attacking plays early and rushing up to make a tackle, and he seems to talk a lot on the edge defensively.

My main concern is losing TPJ will really blunt our attack on the right edge. He makes some mistakes but he pulls in 3 or 4 defenders purely because of the potential offload, it gave Staggs so much room to do his thing. I actually hope oates or fifita sweep across to make some numbers and draw players in. Staggs is strong but if they are able to rush him he's still a small body who can be pushed back.

But, all this said, the main determination of the result will be the refs. The nrl has gone that far down the line it can no longer be said its just a cop out. It won't be 1 major decision it will be consistently inconsistent calls that tend to favour 1 side, gifting field position or attacking pressure. 4th tackle penalties when they are pinned, head highs that aren't head highs, 50/50 calls that have been happening all game but the ref decides to penalise just one at a very important time in the game. The TV will be on in the background but things need to change in the nrl to win me back as a hardcore fan. I love the broncos but I can't invest in something where the results and rules are so obviously driven to suit certain agendas.
Have to agree on the refereeing... I can't think of any other sport in the world where refereeing plays such a vital role in a match.

I don't see why criminals of the world would try to coax players into fixing games when the referee can literally decide the result (1 person on lower wage than the players) with little consequence or seemingly very little investigation.

At least Tallis will be supporting us this match. In the popularity contest between bennet and the broncos, Broncos win hands down. I have feeling Roberts will be like that to Siebold. Bennet could probably offer advice how to cope with it.

Hoping SoS can show something here, he is likely going to be our long term 6 going forward so it would be nice to see if he has a good attacking mindset to take advantage of our Forwards and quick play the ball speed.

I do think all the drama with the coaches is probably going to fire up the South's players more then anything though so it could be an ambush.

They'll really need far better communication between the back three as well. Can't let balls bounce again, or they'll pay for it. The wingers need to take sole responsibility for anything close to the outside thirds of the field.

One good thing for our game against parra... there should be no way Brown is playing after his shoulder charge on DWZ.

There was intent, hit him after he passed it and appeared to make contact with the head.

Should be 2-3 weeks minimum... and that's only if he has a clean record

Last edited:
One good thing for our game against parra... there should be no way Brown is playing after his shoulder charge on DWZ.

There was intent, hit him after he passed it and appeared to make contact with the head.

Should be 2-3 weeks minimum... and that's only if he has a clean record

It is really nice you believe that will happen. Just be ready when nothing comes of it.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • TimWhatley
  • Behold
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • kman
  • Nerd
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • Mustafur
  • Footy Fanatic
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Browny
... and 53 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.