Round 23 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Don't blame the refs, we cant construct a try when field position is handed to us on a platter.

First 10 minutes we put two tries on easy enough against a side with a good defensive record. We were basically ref'd out of contention and territory for much of the game after that point. Our attitude and commitment were vastly improved and when we did get our scarce chances after the first 20 minutes we looked a little bit better and look more dangerous with that combo of 1,6,7,9 and if you put Parker and Glenn back in we look a bit better again. I think there was a heap of positives.

its like their minds get lazy and they forget what works. in the first 20 mins or so their heads were switched on and doing what they would of done at training, and it looked good. as time went on they forget what works and nek minnut everyones standing flat footed and thats the end of that.

Everyone looked tired. Pretty early on as well...

I don't have a place for Lui in the the team. I just nothing him. He is a space filler. Put in one of the younger boys who have showed promise.

I don't want to blame the refs, but there were some genuinely poor decisions in that game that really changed the momentum.

On the plus side, that is the grand final winning team we were playing against there and I was much happier than the last few weeks. Watching storm the other night, they are beatable, Manly also. I think we will beat at least one of them if we can build on the improvements we showed this week.

Petro had probably his best game of the year. Hannant was fantastic. I thought the halves were ok. Again, some problems but an improvement. Some awful 5th tackle options and some poorly constructed sets but definitely on the up.

McCullough passing into Hodges' leg summed up the game for me.

The refs weren't the best but we had that game won and mistakes and bad play lost it.

Hannant not passing, Macca killed us twice going from half, Gillett dropped the ball twice in space, Sam should have passed right instead of inside to Norman, getting caught on the last too many times instead of kicking.

If we had scored 1 more try I think we win comfortably.

macca only hit hodges because the dogs marker pushed hodges into him

Ok, first of all, lets not be blaming the refs, let other clubs whinge about that and they were not the reason we lost. We lost because the Bulldogs scored more points and if you need to rely on a ref to help you, then you don't deserve to win anyway.

Our first 20 mins was great, we played direct, forwards offloaded before the line, defensive line coming up to meet the attack and even gave the outside backs some room, after that it was same old same old. One up's, very very poor 5th tackle options (at least 4 times we got caught with the ball on the 5th tackle), staggered defensive line and again standing more shallow in attack.

macca only hit hodges because the dogs marker pushed hodges into him
I think that's why it summed up the game. All the stuff in the grey area went the dogs way. Both reffing wise and general bounce of the ball luck...

If we had scored 1 more try I think we win comfortably.

this is probably true and might be the most disappointing thing for me. we really should of closed out that game before half time

Ok, from where I was sitting here is what went right and what went wrong.

1. Early in the game the forwards were passing before the line
2. Playing direct, drawing them into the centre and passing it out wide (drrrr)
3. Effective and aggressive defence.

What went wrong

1. Gillett, ok it's time for him to play for Redcliffe, this shit is just getting embarrassing
2. Stopped coming up in a straight defensive line
3. 5th tackle should be to apply pressure when you are 10m out, seriously??? no less than 4 times were we caught with the ball...
4. If you are winning with what you are doing, why change?

Ok, first of all, lets not be blaming the refs, let other clubs whinge about that and they were not the reason we lost. We lost because the Bulldogs scored more points and if you need to rely on a ref to help you, then you don't deserve to win anyway.

Our first 20 mins was great, we played direct, forwards offloaded before the line, defensive line coming up to meet the attack and even gave the outside backs some room, after that it was same old same old. One up's, very very poor 5th tackle options (at least 4 times we got caught with the ball on the 5th tackle), staggered defensive line and again standing more shallow in attack.

It's that 1st 20 minutes that made this loss bearable,despite the rough edges. It's the first time I have seen that sort of passing play from the Broncos for a long time, and at last there was the defensive line speed. The Dogs were blown away.

Now, Hook has the other 60 minutes to work on, and to iron out the wrinkles in the great set plays.

The lack of a genuine leading/organizing playmaker is what's killing this side. Fifth tackle options is one example.

And I honestly wish Hoffman was at the back defensively. He would have made a big difference.

It's that 1st 20 minutes that made this loss bearable,despite the rough edges. It's the first time I have seen that sort of passing play from the Broncos for a long time, and at last there was the defensive line speed. The Dogs were blown away.

Now, Hook has the other 60 minutes to work on, and to iron out the wrinkles in the great set plays.

The lack of a genuine leading/organizing playmaker is what's killing this side. Fifth tackle options is one example.

And I honestly wish Hoffman was at the back defensively. He would have made a big difference.

Hasn't that been the issue all season with the Broncos? Can anyone recall and 80min game from us this year?

Hasn't that been the issue all season with the Broncos? Can anyone recall and 80min game from us this year?

Well mostly pre-Origin was pretty good. But today, and correct me if I am wrong, I haven't seen that sort of passing game from the forwards, well, maybe ever. That is so refreshing despite the other failures.

But given the injuries setback(s), we have done well to be where we are in the first year after we lost our only real playmaker.

The problem again, is no-one has filled that gap, not even remotely. We lack a genuine playmaker and organizer, and at this stage, I can't see Norman, Hunt or Macca filling that role anytime in future seasons. That's a big worry.

honestly the way we played in the first 20 mins. if we can continue to build on that, week in week out, til the end of the season, then this side has a real chance, despite our short comings. we played like the dogs, and it worked.

we just miss someone who can take control in the back end of the game. if we had locky, we would of won that game.

Congrats to the dogs for winning. Haven't seen much of them this year but they are true premiership material. Missing a couple of big forwards today and still got the bickies. And hardly any dirty stuff. Mustn't have been a dessie thing at manly.

If you look at the Dogs, they don't have a real organiser either. Yet they are still successful.

If you look at the Dogs, they don't have a real organiser either. Yet they are still successful.

we dont have a barba, though.

take barba out of that side over the last 11 weeks.. do they still win 11 in a row? he's single handedly torn teams apart.

i hate the term, but we have zero 'x-factor'

Last edited:
**** it's hard to follow this team at the moment.

Ok overall I reckon we lifted and improved. Norman and Wallace had a real dig although Wallace seemed to fade out of the contest later on.

Gillett can do good things but he's clearly a bench/impact player at best. Bringing him on for Thaiday is his proper role in this team imo.

Other than that, I agree with those bagging the refs. They completely ****ed us in this match with a series of calls that were either marginal and went the Dogs' way, or were flat-out incorrect. It's all very gallant and noble to say we shouldn't blame them for our loss and I will forgive any ref an error or two in a fast-paced game of rugby league.

But the string of shoddy shite they dished up to our team today is frankly unprofessional. So sick and tired of tightly fought contests being pissed on from a great height by full time 'professional' refs who just don't seem to understand the impact they have.

Anyway, the boys at least showed they're not completely done with yet in 2012 but it's hard to seriously claim they're a threat for the title.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • HarryAllan7
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.